Mar 21, 2014, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI F450 flight time

Have rebuilt a phantom and now want to do a project that is a bit more DIY. I purchased a DJI F450 frame and am going to go with the KK2 board. I am curious what Battery/ESC/Motor combo will give me the longest flight times. I will eventually be using a gimbal and a gopro with fpv.

I have already read through about 100 pages of the 450/550 owners thread and there are just so many possibilities that its hard to narrow down any obvious choices.

Would like to hear some setups of people with the F450 using the KK2 board and what kind of flight times they are getting. Essentially anything that will get me 15-20 minutes with gopro and gimbal would be perfect.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2014, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Anyone?
Mar 21, 2014, 03:26 PM
I just went through the same thing as you; Phantom -> 450. As I just wanted something basic to build from, I bought the 450 ARF kit and went from there.

It's funny, with the Phantom I wasn't worried about going crazy high and fast. With the 450 that I BUILT, I am a little more reserved. I'm sure that will wear off after a few flights.
Mar 21, 2014, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
At this point I just want to get everything ordered so I can start building. I figure going with a 30amp esc seems to be the best option but I am still curious what battery/motor/prop combo will give longer flight times. Fairly sure going with the KK2 board over a gps based control board will give me slightly more off the bat, but i am really curious if anyone has been getting 15-20 minute flights with a 450 and what kind of setup they are using.
Mar 22, 2014, 03:09 AM
I don't know if you'll be able to pull 15-20 mins from a 450 with gopro and gimbal at all. You might get there running something like a 5000mah 4s battery and 10 inch props on something like 700kv motors, but even that would be tough I would think.

xCalc indicates even that will only get you about 17mins of hover, that at about 1500g AUW
Mar 22, 2014, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Well 17 minutes would be more than acceptable. I will still have to see what the total finished build would weight (looks like without the gopro/fpv equipment they are about 800-1200g according to dji not sure if that includes lipo weight though).

I guess I could also use a smaller more light weight camera than a gopro for the FPV also.

Quick Reply