2 metre...no, make that a 4 metre motor glider!! - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 04, 2014, 10:41 AM
less is more
Yes I was very happy with the lost foam method for the flight pack space in the FootLoose Floater. The Rhinohide skin has a layer of 5oz Kevlar and glass over it at the nose/flight pack area. It stood up well to a fearsome nose dive crash. That FRP stuff gets really strong when it's curvy.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2014, 06:40 AM
Will work for foam
Hi miniphase - This is a very neat design and will be watching closely. I have a few questions if you don't mind. What are the chord lengths and span breaks? How did you come up with 5 deg washout and is it only in the tip panel?
Apr 14, 2014, 08:27 AM
Hi wingnut

The chord lengths are 210mm, the semi-span panels are based on bits of foam I had laying around, one is about 500mm the other is about 600mm. I can't cut lengths over 700mm with my bow, hence the panel breaks.

The 5 deg washout is based on a flying speed of about 17mph and an auw of about 900g. I ran these figures through a spread sheet to calculate the washout.

No progress this last week, should be able to get stuff done come the weekend though!
Jul 07, 2014, 05:49 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Good looking project.

Any update?
Jul 11, 2014, 01:17 PM
Hoping to get back on this soon guitararcher.....watch this space!
Sep 06, 2014, 04:02 AM

back on the horse!

Finally some more progress on this one...

Not much in the way of excitement, but I have glued on the ply root facings, and the balsa tip facings. The tip ones are doubled up so that after bagging the wing, I can split them and use the free halves for the fin mount....
Sep 08, 2014, 08:18 AM
Coth cut....I'm using 1oz glass. I was going to run a few more carbon tows across the filled bits of the spar cut out just for aesthetics but decided not to in the end.
Sep 08, 2014, 02:24 PM
Can't wait to see this one airborne.
Sep 08, 2014, 04:29 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
The anticipation builds......

What are you using for a joiner rod?

Greg.
Sep 09, 2014, 03:46 AM
I've found some 6mm carbon rod that's kindly stepped up to the plate...on the basis this won't be a speed demon, that should be enough....I hope!
Sep 11, 2014, 06:21 AM
Out of the bags and all is good! The blue paper towel that I use as breather cloth has stuck in places where it shouldn't have, though this is purely down to operator error.

Each panel in coming in at a tad over 11oz. If the whole thing ends up being lardier than expected, I'll look at using this on the slope and do a built-up version as an electric glider if I like the way it flies....
Sep 11, 2014, 10:56 AM
less is more
So are you happy with the finish the 1oz. glass gave you? It looks good from my angle.
Sep 11, 2014, 01:26 PM
It's good enough Kent. I see these kind of models as quick(ish) prototypes and foam cores bagged with a layer of glass is a super quick way of adding strength and a half decent finish. I'm still honing my skills with the bagging, I've got the basics down I've still got plenty to learn and refine.
Sep 12, 2014, 08:26 AM
Bench fly day! Always a good moral booster...

I am making a small pod for initial use off the slope. I have also been giving thought to the control surface layout.

With all my 'flapped' wings I've noticed a tendency for them to dive at the ground on final approach (though this markedly less pronounced with the thicker wing sections). On all these wings the flap starts a fair distance from the wing root. I can only assume that the airflow is breaking away from this inboard, unflapped area causing a pitch down that cannot be overcome with up elevon.

I thinking that this model should have flaps starting as inboard as possible to try and combat the problem....any thoughts on that?
Last edited by miniphase; Sep 12, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Sep 12, 2014, 08:35 AM
Herk
The flap business is quite an interesting question.

You might find a Moment Neutral Flap chapter from Nickel and Wohlfahrt helpful. Kent has used the info very successfully on one of his wings, and I have used it on several.

I would attach it to this post but RCGroups says it's too big. If you would like to see it, send me a pm with contact info and I'll get it to you.

Good luck with the new model. -- Herk