Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 16, 2017, 04:13 AM
So let's say a conservative 6lbs AUW with. The good news is that'll get me in the right ball park for the minimum reynolds number range, I won't need a monster climb rate so I would have thought something around 500 watts would do the trick....that Eflite 46 is a beast, that's a very kind offer Kent!!

Final call once it's test flown as a glider I think!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2017, 04:14 AM
It's been perfect weather for covering!

The Koverall has been sealed at the edges and shrunk down on each wing panel. Still got to do the fins and control surfaces. I took the lazy man's approach and, rather than applying dope to airframe first, I just laid the fabric over and brushed through it around the edges to stick it in place.

One wing panel weighs 860g, the other 830g (or 1lb and 13 oz plus one oz for the other panel).

Plan of action is to apply two sealing coats of non-shrinking dope at 50/50 strength with a small roller....
Apr 12, 2017, 03:12 PM
less is more
Is it too early to do a test balance? I'll be interested in seeing how you configure the pod. I am always tempted to make the nose too long allow balance with just the battery. I still use heavy batteries.
Apr 12, 2017, 03:23 PM
Funnily enough when I took it out into the garden I tried to judge the nose weight situation....it'll need a reasonable amount! Game-plan is to build a pod for slope testing first and see what it needs in the nose. I've got good access to the d-box at the root so I can bond in some lead shot if needs be.

On another note, rolling on dope doesn't work! Had to revert to a traditional brush....two coats done and dusted.
Apr 13, 2017, 01:08 AM
less is more
Just a thought................if you place all trim ballast lead in the nose, there will less of a chance on structural damage to the wing should you have a hard landing.

So the wing is fully doped now! You ARE getting close.

Apr 13, 2017, 02:29 AM
I was also considering running some tubes along behind the leading edge to take nose weight but yes, all in the pod nose would be a far preferable option!

Still got to cover the control surfaces and fins, but that'll be a speedier process, the radio gear install will be simple enough too.......nearly there!
Apr 13, 2017, 10:32 AM
internet gadfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53
Just a thought................if you place all trim ballast lead in the nose, there will less of a chance on structural damage to the wing should you have a hard landing.

So the wing is fully doped now! You ARE getting close.

Haven't had time to do much cheerleading lately (full size airplane and relationship maintenance) but I have been watching. I always look forward to Paul's videos of his maiden flights. For some reason this post made me think of copper wire. It's not quite as dense as lead but much tougher. Could easily be bent to the leading edge angle and scarfed into the balsa leading edge. Had to write this brilliant idea down so I'll remember it

--------.~.
--------/V\
------//----\\
-----/(------)\
----(^^)---(^^)--Norm
Apr 13, 2017, 10:49 AM
less is more
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniphase
On another note, rolling on dope doesn't work! Had to revert to a traditional brush.
Many years ago, one of the old timers ( not a pejorative term) from Sig Maunfacturing said that while the first coat of dope must be brushed on, all subsequent coats may be sprayed. At the 50/50 mix, that would probably be quite doable. If you were to try to spray the first coat, it would just blow thru the wildly open weave of Koveral.

I just did a quick calc. and your wing loading "may be" just over 6 oz./s.f.
Holy Moly you are going to be able to get away with murder with this plane!
With a 14" chord, that's going to equate to a lot of FLOAT.
Last edited by Knoll53; Apr 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM.
Apr 13, 2017, 06:46 PM
Wow! A 4 meter ResDart! The hand catches from behind are going to be worth watching. Please get a REALLY wide angle lens on your helmet cam so you can record both wingtips at once!

Or maybe you could tip launch it, side-arm style. The outer tip velocity ought to be impressive.
Ed
Apr 14, 2017, 04:26 AM
Norm.....I like your train of thought, I shall report back with exactly how much weight will be required in the coming week or so. The wing joiner also sits ahead of the cg. At the moment it's just a hollow tube and need beefing up, so a fair bit of weight can be 'hidden' in there.

Kent....yes I can see how it would just blow through the weave! The two brushed on coats look to have sealed things nicely, I love Koverall's combination of light weight, translucence and strength. Well worth the extra time spent applying it when compared to the iron on coverings.

I think you're right about the wing loading, though ideally I'd like to get it up to 8oz if possible as it'll be working at a better reynolds number with the extra weight.....we shall see!

Ed....I might just risk a hand catch if the flaps are effective enough, tip launching is another matter though! You read my mind with the wide angle lens! I'm planning to shoot some on-board footage as part of the maiden session, I'll do some jigging with a rig before hand to make sure I can get both fins in the shot!

Back to doping the fins and control surfaces this coming week.....
Apr 14, 2017, 09:51 AM
less is more
Hand catch? ....sure, what could go wrong?

As a veteran of many hand catches and many more missed catches, I for one would be just a tinsy bit leery about hand catching a 6lb. , 4m swepted wing. I'm lucky in that I have a LZ that is soft as sand, has smooth air and a dip behind the hand catch zone. So if needed, I can be flying up hill into the wind for the catch. This really adds up to a big benefit.

The nose is the only safe place to catch it. If you grab down the LE, you'll likely poke a finger through the D tube. At least I know that I would.

You're going to love the big flaps on this plane. Fully deployed, they will allow a steep, not fast descent. The final flare from this steep descent may appear to be in slow motion. But you'll only get one flare before it burns up all available energy and falls out of the sky, so be sure to be there when that happens. Also, I have noticed less roll control when flaps are deployed, so be sure to enjoy that as well.

Regardless of the length of your flaps, you can program in elevon compensation to achieve any descent angle desired. Since the flaps can reduce air speed to below normal flying speed, I like to program the descent to be steep enough to match the minimum flying speed. This way, should you abruptly remove flaps, you are still flying.

Slow floaty landings to terra firma are good to. Something like this landing would be nice for the maiden.

Last edited by Knoll53; Apr 14, 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Apr 14, 2017, 10:02 AM
Kent, it's amazing what you can do with slow-motion video! My planes have built-in rock finders, so even with your sand, they would still hit hard. I just trashed the Tiger Moth: got distracted by a dog and mountain biker encountering each other just behind me, lost sight of the Moth, and it went in HARD. Found it, but It's the first time I ever trashed the trailing edge of a wing, plus lost a complete pushrod and clevises without breaking control horns. There was some inertia involved with this event! It isn't easy to back an aircraft into a mountainside. Still, the damage was minimized by having the wing separate easily from the fuse pod. It will fly again.

And "leery" is what I had in mind when I mentioned a 4-meter, 6 lb. hand catch. Oh lordy, the things that could go wrong with that much inertia spread over that much terrain.
Apr 14, 2017, 04:32 PM
less is more
Miniphase's plane will no doubt be the floatyest floater that has ever floated. Just the 6oz./s.f. wing loading would do it. Just the 14" chord would do it. Just the twenty two forty square inches would do it. Add full flaps to that and this plane will ... will....well golly it's going to float.

The question is not if he will hand catch, but when. My money is on day one...............no pressure, I'm just saying.

I know it is customary to wish good luck for the maiden, but my chant is
Catch!
Catch!
Catch!

best wishes,
Kent, the catcher