Schweighofer Curare 60 ARF Assembly - RC Groups
Mar 19, 2014, 07:22 PM
Discussion

Schweighofer Curare 60 ARF Assembly

After watching Jim Kimbro fly his Curare ARF last year, Jamie Schoolcraft and I have been wanting one but just didn't bite on it yet. Well, Jamie is all fired up after our last Classic contest and he decided to buy one. When it came in since he is really busy with his Magic business, I'm getting to put his together and he's going to get me one. I like it! I get to practice on his before I do mine!

So I thought I'll do an assembly thread similar to what I did on my last P-7. When I see things that I think can be improved I'll incorporate some mods. For Jamie's we have settled on using the recommended O.S. .55 AX with a pipe. Instead of the electric retracts we're using Hobbico mains and an MK nose from F3A Unlimited. We'll use two retract servos and a separate nose gear steering servo like the P-7.

More to come soon!
Last edited by TonyF; Mar 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2014, 11:44 PM
After taking it out of the box, I went over the covering getting rid of any loose spots. The model is done well and there wasn't much wrong with it.

The next step was to join the wing panels. The spar was a little tight so I had to sand down the center of it. It is tapered with the center being thicker. Once I could dry fit everything without the spar being tight it was ready to epoxy. Sorry, I didn't get pics but I used 30-minute epoxy and lots of tape to hold everything together. There is no supplied dihedral dimension, so I joined them until the root ribs matched. Looking at it it seems correct.

After that there is a plywood piece that is glued on the bottom TE for the wing bolts. You must remove the covering where the piece attaches. Now the ply is flat but the wing has an angle. So to get the fit right I put some wax paper on the back of the wing saddle, positioned the wing, applied the epoxy, then bolted the ply and the wing on to the fuse. Let that sit until it is fully cured.
Last edited by TonyF; Mar 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
Mar 20, 2014, 09:03 AM
Hi. Can you tell me where you can get this model and the price. Thanks, Jim
Mar 20, 2014, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcraz
Hi. Can you tell me where you can get this model and the price. Thanks, Jim
Lot of UK stores wouldn't ship ARF's or kits across the pond.

I would have to win the Lottomax on Friday to afford this plane. Shipping is expensive too. Like a lot of nice planes. No North American distributor.

Jim
Last edited by jpurcha; Aug 28, 2017 at 01:10 PM.
Mar 20, 2014, 11:20 PM
Well, all I can say that direct shipping to Jamie here in CA was fairly affordable. It would be nice to get someone in the USA to distribute. Would save some. But the quality seems to be worth the cost.
Mar 27, 2014, 08:30 PM
I couldn't resist any longer, I ordered one today. Shipping was about $80.

This was my favorite plane to fly back in the day. Can't wait to get it and fly it.

I will likely use my new YS Classic in it. Pipe will go down the side of the fuse instead of under the wing. My original did and it flew fine. Should be quick.

Keep working Tony, need to see what you can find to improve on like you have with the P-7.

Jeff
Mar 28, 2014, 11:44 AM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Hey Jeff, it would be cool if you could bring it to the CPA in Fort Worth on October 11.
Heck, I'll probably let you fly it in the SPA on May 10 just to see it.

Tim
Mar 31, 2014, 03:32 PM
Inspired by this thread, I ordered one on Friday, March 21. It just arrived! I'm impressed with the service. Let the fun begin!

Jeff
Skylane N9214G
SPA L243 CPA 84
Mar 31, 2014, 03:57 PM
Mind if I ask. How much was shipping? I estimated $60.00 from Austria. Which is quite inexpensive for overseas.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfo182
Inspired by this thread, I ordered one on Friday, March 21. It just arrived! I'm impressed with the service. Let the fun begin!

Jeff
Skylane N9214G
SPA L243 CPA 84
Mar 31, 2014, 05:59 PM
Their automated billing was initially $360. Then someone realized that Florida was on the other side of the pond and they asked for another $140. So, it was about $510 to my door (including foreign transaction fees.)

Jeff
Skylane N9214G
SPA L243 CPA 84
Mar 31, 2014, 07:42 PM
Come on, Tony, we need PICTURES!!!

Andy
Apr 01, 2014, 03:28 AM
Well, here they are! I've been concentrating on getting it done for Jamie but I've been taking pics as it went.

The nose gear installation starts with removing the Ultracote from the nose area and ironing the edges. I intend to make a cover once the installation is finished to have a minimal hole for the nose wheel retract. Jamie bought a set of Hobbico trike gear and while the mains look good to use the nose gear was a disaster. So he bit the bullet and ordered an MK from F3A unlimited. It is very nice and goes in to the Curare perfectly. The gear mounts using the kit supplied wood screws. BTW, if you don't have one of the Great Planes Hole Centering tool, try to get one. They really work well for marking and drilling the holes.
Last edited by TonyF; Apr 01, 2014 at 04:05 AM.
Apr 01, 2014, 03:43 AM
After installing the nose retract I moved to the wing and the main gear retract installation. Again, you have to remove the covering and iron the edges. The Hobbico mains fit with no modification to the mounting rails.

The pushrods from the servo to the gear needs to run over the plastic wheel wells and then bend up to get to the retract. Take a look at the pic.

I modified the servo tray parts that were included with the kit to mount the retract servo where they want you to mount the flap servo. You can adjust for the servo you want to use. I used a Spektrum AR7040HV servo. In the pic you can see the cut lines where I removed wood. BTW, the tray fits very well in to the wing . It gets the servo in the center of the wing and at the right height for the pushrod to travel over the wheel well lining. The pics show the servo at wheels down and up. Note that the Spektrum servo is proportional, so you can adjust the travel in the TX to get everything working correctly. Make sure the gear are fully locked in both positions. Adjust as necessary. Also, adjust the pushrods so the wheels go up and down at the same time. Note that I used wheel collars to hold the pushrods in to the servo wheel. This is easier then using a z-bend. Just make sure to loctite them.

At first I used the wheels that came with the kit. But I'll show you what I did different later.

Also, you have to work on the hole in the rib just inboard of the retract for the pushrod coming out of the Hobbico retract to clear. You'll see what I mean when you get there.
Last edited by TonyF; Apr 01, 2014 at 04:06 AM.
Apr 01, 2014, 03:49 AM
I did a lot of fitting and adjusting on the main gear installation before I joined the wings. This can make some stuff a bit easier. After I had figured everything out I then joined the wings as I described earlier.
Last edited by TonyF; Apr 01, 2014 at 04:36 AM.
Apr 01, 2014, 03:56 AM
I then continued on the wing with the flap installation. I used the recommended two CA hinges. I also used epoxy on the control horns where they insert into the flap.

Now for the flaps to truly be throwing equally you have to lay the flap servo on it's side. This kit does have the horns pretty close to each other so the motion of the pushrod from an upright mounted servo would be minimal. But we might as well do it right!

The Spektrum AR5060HV servo is mounted on a L-bracket I cut from a length of BVM Carbon Angle. This is a reinforced plastic L that you can cut for the servo installation. Once fabricated I removed the covering on the wing where the bracket would install and glued it to the wing.