This thread is privately moderated by limmacslim, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 19, 2014, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My first little Multiwii quad

UPDATE: The frame is now built out of 10mmx12mm timber & weighs around 30g, I also changed the FC to an arduino pro mini with gy521 breakout board, the motors are still at 1900kv but with a delta termination this time so the copper is really packed in there . This is how it turned out in the end but I don't have any recent video of it, one of the motors was loose in this (old) video so it was not flying right at the time.
I do like this setup, nothing is overly stressed out & it gets a decent flight time. In static tests each motor was drawing around 6A from the 10A esc's, im guessing its a bit lower in the air. The lipo's always come down quite cool & have had plenty of use with no puffing etc.

My little Multiwii acro quadcopter (3 min 12 sec)

These are my first proper steps into the world of multiwii.
It took a while to loose the vibrations & get the board setup right, it still needs some fine tuning but I think I will build another lighter frame using either thinner wood or maybe carbon rods. This frame is a little heavy but crashes well .
Its been feeling a bit gutless recently & may be due to a motor mount not being totally straight anymore.

Poor mans wooden X frame, 15mmx18mm timber from b&q. Lots of glue & tie straps along with some v949 led's.
Multiwii (2.3) crius lite v1.0 board (from hobbyking)
M1822 motors currently at 1900kv
H-KING 10a ESC's flashed with Blheli
5030 HK props
1000mah-1300mah 3s lipos
Frsky radio gear.

My first multiwii quadcopter (4 min 19 sec)
Last edited by limmacslim; Apr 11, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2014, 09:32 PM
into the wild blue yonder
sick skills brother...
Mar 20, 2014, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for your kind words Barney.

Up until now I have only really flown micro toy quads so that's probably where the destructive style of flying comes from lol.
Mar 31, 2014, 09:01 PM
Closed Account
Nice flying!

I would like to build myself a little quad. I am new to quads so I dont know much about FCs but I am planning to order this ( MultiWii NanoWii ATmega32U4 Micro Flight Controller USB/GYRO/ACC ) Is it easier to setup this than the KK boards?
Apr 01, 2014, 09:33 AM
Thread OP
I have not tried a KK board but I do hear they are easier to setup, KK2 also needs pid tuning so I guess the difficulty could be on par with MW.
The board you linked to is similar to the one im using, I have also setup a MW pro board for a friend & both were sensitive to vibrations. Best advice is probably to start with a rigid frame (my reasoning behind the heavy wooden frame) with well balanced props & motors. At first that always sounds a bit tedious but it makes setting up the board a whole lot easier.

I must admit it took me some time to get my head around the pid tuning but once it all sinks in its not too bad. Its a joy to fly in comparison to the micro toy quads im used to & defiantly worth the trouble.

Quick Reply