This thread is privately moderated by shigetyann, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 16, 2014, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mild windy day

Hi all

Today we had some race.

Spring is coming soon.

Shige
Latest blog entry: My Macchi-M67 oing on!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2014, 06:44 PM

Mild Windy Day

Hi Shige-------
Although I have played around with sail boats for about 20 + years , most of my time has been spent on Hydro's and nitro planes .One of the problems I had was that no one else in my group liked sail as it was to passive a thing to do , and so I never learned much about trimming or fine tuning a boat . I currently have two boats , A 600 sq.in. sail and an 800 sq. in . sail , single mast boat .I haven't been happy with the cut of the sails since the very beginning but didn't have any idea where to get or how to go about making a replacement sail . Your comment on plastic film sails really got my attention .How heavy of film do you use or suggest ? How do you decide on , or where do you get the finished shape of the sail ?

I moved to Colorado after I retired and now have access to many lakes without having to travel for hours . I have the urge to try sailing again while the wife does her fishing thing .We seem to have many prevailing winds at the local lakes and it should really be fun again .

Any comments you would care to make concerning the subject of making your own plastic film sails .trimming the boat , or even where I might pick up some pointers would really be appreciated .

In the mean time ,fair sailing and take care .

Dave
Mar 17, 2014, 10:43 AM
Thread OP
Hi Dave
Thank you for your comments.
You seem to have fantastic second life with your honey in Colorado.
Scenery around your home may be fine. I hope showing your pictures taken at your playing field or so.
Return to your subject, the plastic sail is made of 25 micrometer thick polyethylene film. That is the thinnest type in a shop.
I got it from domestic internet shop that deals with everything from daily commodity to professional goods or tools.
My friends and I made it to replacement sails from provided ones. In that time, we tried to form 3D sails. A 3D sail is made of four small seats. Those small seats are put together with five millimeter width double-stick tape. The finished figure is similar to the original one.
I think tuning a sail boat is not simple and deep. I’ve not mastered it yet. I’m also a candidate. A simple way to describe the tuning is to set a boat run strait by declining a main mast fore or aft. This way is resemble to control boardsailing. I recommend to see how to control a boardsailing.
I hope it your assistance.

Shige
Latest blog entry: My Macchi-M67 oing on!

Quick Reply