Mar 15, 2014, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Walkera Devo 7 help

Hello. I'm somewhat new to R/C, I don't need help flying, I've got that down. My helicopter came with a walkera devo 7 controller. I thought i could just get used to it and learn what it does and so on. I dont have any clue what the switches along the top (HOLD, TRN, GEAR, MIX, D/R, FMD, etc) do though, I've looked online and found nothing. If someone could help me out and tell me what all these do that would be AWESOME! Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2014, 02:16 PM
Cranky old fart
I had a Devo 7 and Walkera terminology seemed pretty foreign and it was difficult to program. But, here's what I remember.

Hold = throttle hold, to kill the throttle... used on CP.
Trn = training, to connect to a sim or another transmitter
Gear = spare channel for landing gear or whatever
Mix = ???
D/R = dual rates, changes how controls respond
FMD = ???
Mar 15, 2014, 04:02 PM
I'm not 100% certain, but I think "FMD" is Walkera's Stunt mode (Idle up).

Had a Devo 7 for a very short period and ended up getting rid because of the odd UI.
Mar 15, 2014, 08:13 PM
The hold and trainer are on the same switch. It may seem odd tho, that you need to hold the trainer switch to give control to the slave and yet the next position after it is throttle hold. However, if you let your finger slide off the trainer and let it snap back into place (like you usually do when you need to take back control ASAP), it will always go right past throttle hold and into normal mode.

The GEAR and AUX2 are on the same channel. You can only pick one or the other. So if the accessory you want to put on your model is either a servo or an on off switch, it'll work fine.

FMD is a three position switch that you can assign your curves to. Normal, sport and stunt mode, but really they're just variations of the throttle and pitch curves, you can have all three be stunt modes with slight curve variations if you wanted. If you don't need six channels, you can disable its link to the other channels/mixes and have it only control one channel.

MIX is where you control your gyro gains. Again it's a single channel, so if you don't need gyro, you can plug in another accessory.

The learning curve on a Devo7 is crazy high and it rightfully deserves the title as the worst interface ever designed, but it's still a decent programmable radio once you learn how to use it.

When programming the Devo7, you don't compose the profile setting on the radio, you do the actual setting in your own head and input them in the radio, the menus are too hard to navigate to have to constantly adjust something. On the plus side, i understood exactly how the 9XR works within minutes despite other people also calling it confusing because the Devo7 does use the same concepts... sort of. The DX6 was harder to learn than the 9XR
Last edited by Hajile; Mar 15, 2014 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply