It's time for part 2!

Here's where you can find part 1:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...52#post1873552

Carry on

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by NitroSpazzz
YAY Part 2 So who thinks a 6 foot 300s made of Coroplast based loosly on Tim's plans would work?
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by RobFly

newbie questions

Hi Everyone,
I was introduced to this site after reading about Tim's planes in a two page article in the AMA journal. Now I'm about ready to get into e-rc (44" Extra out of FFF) and I was going to purchase the following set-up from one of the web stores (any suggestions on which suppliers to use?).

Can I get some input/opinions on this set-up?

Himax 2025-4200 + CC25 phoenix
GWS gearbox D (6.6:1)
APC 11x4.7 slowflyer
Thunder power 2100 mAh

Some earlier posts indicated that the TP 2100 mAh battery pack won't last long with this set-up...did I get this right? Tim seems to be running this battery pack. What am I missing?

Also since I'm starting COMPLETELY from scratch, I could use some help from you guys on what kind of maintenance/replacement parts I should get?

I'm really talking about the basics here: good servos vs excellent servos?
receivers? (I have a 6 channel futaba radio already)
Adapters, antennae, battery connectors, prop adapters, extra pinions, extra spur gears, battery plugs with leads. Hell, I don't even have a battery charger yet!!!

My local hobby shop has pretty much NADA in terms of high performance electric equipment, so I've got to mail order everything. I'd rather give a comprehensive list up-front because the last thing I want is to get the plane all ready and then find out I'm missing some damn connector or something.

Could I trouble you guys to just look at your complete set-ups and give me a parts-list as well as the common things you carry to the field, or things that wear out fast.

I hope this is not too tall an order. Let me know if I've missed a really usefull web-site that might answer some of these questions.

Thanks everyone!

Rob
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by JimmyRacer
Fly, Crash, Fix, Repeat
RobFly,

Check out his link...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=6

Post number 87 by Brazilnut. He did a really nice job putting together a list of the important stuff all in one post.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by JimmyRacer
Fly, Crash, Fix, Repeat
RobFly,

I've been flying only the 36" class Foamy Factory planes so I can't help you out too much with the bigger motors.

I too have a 6 channel Futaba. I'm running this set up. It seems pretty standard.

Hitec HS-55 servos (4 of them)
Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC
Berg 5 Rx
Himax 2015-4100
GWS 300 Gear box with "D" gearing
Corbi prop shaft with their adapter and 12x6 APC Slow Fly prop
E-Tec 1200 Li Po
Great Planes Triton battery charger
Dean's Ultra connectors

Extras.... Props. You can probably save a few props if you use a prop saver.(See Brazilnut's post for a link to some good info on prop savers.)

These planes are pretty durable. Mine have had a number of unplanned landings while learning how to hover. Most of the time I just needed to pick them up and start flying again. At worst, you may need some epoxy.

Jim
Last edited by JimmyRacer; Mar 22, 2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by naamanf
Check out www.tanicpacks.com . If you are getting more than one battery, E-mail them what you want so they can save you on shipping. I realy like their packs because they have connections for each cell so you can equalize the individual voltages.

Also for the 2025-4200 you might want to try the C gearing to put that motor at its full potential. Just make sure you use a battery that is up to the task.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by ronin8451
E-Flight Addict

Nitrospazz:

Check out the forums @ RCUniverse, there is a guy that built a big high wing plane with a Ryobi 31cc out of pink Dow Corning 1" or 3/4" foam and called it "Big Pink" . There is also a guy in the profile forums that built a foam 3DX and a "Hots" in .40 glow size and they both say they flew quite well ! There is a link to each of their planes on RCU, just type in "Big Pink" in the forum search and look at it .

Rick
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:37 AM
E-Flight Addict

Heat-sink motor mounts at Maxx products !

I forgot to say that Maxxproducts will be carrying some new heat-sink motor mounts for the Himaxx motors with the planetary gearbox that will have a 10mm x 10mm stick mount built in to it ! It will clamp around the motor's diameter and it has fins machined around the outside in rows to help in motor cooling. It's not on their site yet, but it is in the latest RC Flyer magazine ad . When they update the new dealer catalog, I'll post some info on it for you guys .

Rick
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by naamanf
Any one here order the Carbon kit from Morgantech? I ordered mine about two and a half weeks ago and have yet to get it. And he hasn't replied to my e-mails. What gives?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by Speed E Freak
Quadcopter beginner
Betcha can't guess what I'm building.....
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by sundancer007

Speed E Freak

If im correct, based on the flooring pattern size, that would be an extra 44" from foamyfactory. You will love this planes flying ability.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Tee Sqaured
Whatcha building there speed?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:12 PM
E-Flight Addict

36" Extra made from 3mm depron maidens !!

Well, I finally flew my 36" Extra made out of 3mm depron...can you say "floater" ? I thought the shockflyer was a great ,easy to fly plane, but this little Extra just blows it out of the water !! With around 80 more inches of wing area and the same AUW, the Extra just wants to harrier like nobody's business !!! I still need to work the cg back a little, but this thing hovers like a dream...and I suck at hovering ! Man, I'm stoked and could go on and on, but I gotta get back to work.

Rick
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by CraigT
Quote:
Originally posted by naamanf
Any one here order the Carbon kit from Morgantech? I ordered mine about two and a half weeks ago and have yet to get it. And he hasn't replied to my e-mails. What gives?
I did, about 3 weeks ago, and got it yesterday. Kind of funkey? Lot of money for what was in the box. IMHO. not impressed! But not ripped offed either.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by Tim H.
FoamyFactory.com
Glad to hear you like it Rick

Tim
RCG Plus Member