This thread is privately moderated by eMoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:43 PM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Discussion

Those pesky Flite test guys...

I have been painfully slow in building a Multiplex FunCub for the past two years. It's just taken longer than I wanted to for various reasons...that could be a whole other post but I won't bother you with the minutiae. On top of that it has been doubly painful to realize that even though this kit is $99.00 when on sale, I have put A LOT of money into it to make it fly and look the way I want. Of course I could have slapped the kit stickers on it and be done but then it would look just like the picture on the box. Why do that?

Then comes Flite Test. Holy crap I have more planes now. Construction methods and material aside, I love their planes. Yes they are heavy with hot glue and paper faced foam but I don't mind the weight. It helps penetrate the wind and gives me an excuse to use bigger motors. So far I haven't had an issue with wing loading. So without further delay here are some of the nicer specimens I've built recently.
Last edited by eMoon; Apr 05, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2014, 05:56 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
Nice looking planes. The Spitfire looks like a lot of fun!
Mar 25, 2014, 08:44 PM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Thanks Beaves, hoping to maiden the Spitfire this weekend. Still needs paint though but it's been too cold to paint. Winter is not leaving without a fight this year.
Mar 25, 2014, 11:30 PM
Tree hopper
Can't stop can ya???? Kind of like an addiction I get this FC done I'm all over the other dusty, ummm ya'll reckon the same motor will be alright in it, just going to widen the span???
Mar 25, 2014, 11:37 PM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Yeah Gabe, I love building these things. Learning new tricks as I go too as I've never built with foam before. So I'll fly these until the paper peels or I dork it in the ground and then modify the next builds.
Mar 25, 2014, 11:44 PM
Tree hopper
I know what you mean.
What do you think of a 45" span on dusty? Think the same motor be alright?
Mar 25, 2014, 11:50 PM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
By same motor are you talking about the Emax GF2215?

I can't compare yet as the weather has been so bad I haven't been able to try it out. But a 45" span on my old motor, a Suppo 2212/13, would probably fly but not very fast or have much reserve power. I'd have to build light but if it is the Emax you are referring to...that's almost double the wattage of the Suppo I mentioned with more Kv to boot!

I'd be willing to bet it would go. I'd also be inclined to build it as a racer to avoid drag on the canopy.
Mar 25, 2014, 11:57 PM
Tree hopper
Got ya, yep same 2215 motor. Hobby lobby craft store had some big sheets (48"x60") and I got some, may try to remove the paper and do some taping, seems to be the thing to do. Going to put some flaps on it too. Just got to get this funcub done, hope this weekend. Then I'll start on it. I like your fiberglass pod, may get that done while waiting.
Mar 26, 2014, 07:55 AM
Fly The Friendly Skies
The 2215 with an 8x4 prop is pulling 35oz. It should absolutely rock these things! I just put mine on my Noob Tube at 20oz AUW.

I can't stop watching the 60" Old Fogey videos. I think that's my next build. There just something very cool about that big thing defying gravity and putting around like it does.
Mar 26, 2014, 08:01 AM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Beaves, I hope you post some build pics.

On the other end of the spectrum I'm contemplating trying out a 3000kv blue wonder on the Delta, lol
Mar 26, 2014, 08:59 AM
Fly The Friendly Skies
Ha....I nosed dived my 3000kv Blue Wonder last weekend! It was spectacular. The plane is "supposed" to go 120mph with this setup. I only know for certain what 60mph feels like on a plane. It's definitely A LOT faster than what I know to be 60, but I don't feel like it's 2x as fast.
Other guys at the field that fly jets say they definitely think it's exceeding 100mph

Anyway, I was at WOT Saturday and completely lost the plane once it hit the tree line. I could hear it, but couldn't see it (very loud motor). All the sudden it nose planted straight into the ground about 50 yards from us. It completely buried the motor. It went in the ground about 1.5 mayby 2 inches. Amazingly, that was the ONLY damage to the plane. All I gotta do is put a new motor on it and I'm back in the air. The ground was very soft, but still that blows my mind that it isn't in a thousand pieces.
Mar 26, 2014, 09:19 AM
Tree hopper
Did you get the rush going again?
Mar 26, 2014, 12:03 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe221
Did you get the rush going again?
Haven't touched it yet. I had an extra motor, but turns out it was DOA complements of HK. Gotta get another on order.
Mar 27, 2014, 12:51 PM
Tree hopper
Have you got the spitfire done yet??
Mar 27, 2014, 01:18 PM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
NO It's been 15 degrees the past 4 days and finally warming up now. I might be able to paint it this weekend but I'm also hoping to fly a little bit. This is the winter from h*ll.

But I'm trying to figure out the best way to paint it and add graphics. I grabbed these from the wikipedia pages so I'm thinking about the printed tissue paper method (ala Freddie B.) or avery labels? Any thoughts?

Name: Fin Flash.png
Views: 52
Size: 19.7 KB
Description: Name: Fuse Roundel.png
Views: 53
Size: 139.6 KB
Description: Name: Under Roundel.png
Views: 44
Size: 100.3 KB
Description: Name: Upper Roundel.png
Views: 53
Size: 78.1 KB