Mar 14, 2014, 12:12 AM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Thread OP
Build Log

Nellie irene high speed tug build

Starting a new build thread. This is a Gary King hull in 1/18 scale. Dimensions are 28" x 10". A perfect size to grab and go but not too small for the rough lake. I really like the wide beam and planing hull. The actual boat has a top speed of around 28 knots and is used to run up the strong river currents. Tug and speedboat all in one.
I'm hoping CaptCB will chime in with all the actual specs. Here are some shots of the actual boat and my hull. I also included a link to a Youtube video that shows her at speed. I have 1300kv outrunners and lipo's on the way.
(Troy, I added Murdock from the A-team to take the place of Carroll Shelby)

CAPTDH

Some images are inverted. Click it twice.....
Last edited by CaptDH; Mar 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2014, 12:13 AM
Thread OP
WORKBOAT parade 2000 (17 min 16 sec)
Mar 14, 2014, 03:57 AM
Submarine or Target?
Wow! Looks like a tugboat playdate. That Nellie would be a fun boat to have (until the fuel tanks are empty).
Mar 14, 2014, 06:58 AM
boat butcher
Cool

Mark
Mar 14, 2014, 08:29 AM
Good start - like to watch this progress.
Ray in the UK has one - he can probably send you some photos.
Thanks for posting.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:26 PM
Thread OP
I have several shots from Ray and CaptCB. Should be plenty to get this built. Modeled up the outrunners and ESC's last night. Many many thanks to Nick_75AU for all the brushless help.

D
Mar 18, 2014, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Just got the outrunners, ESC's and programmer today. Everything checked out on the test stand so it's time to make the mounts. Plan to use bent brass so I can solder a cooling tube to them.

I love using these couplers. About $11 at Mcmaster Carr.

D
Mar 18, 2014, 01:35 AM
Submarine or Target?
I was wondering why I haven't seen those couplings used in boats. Let us know how they work out.

Known commonly as "Lovejoy" couplings, named after one of the major manufacturers of that style, they will not accept as much misalignment between shafts as u-joints or dog-bones will. So pay good attention to alignment in your motor mounting. Too much misalignment will cause; excessive wear of the center rubber piece, known as a "spider" and also could lead to bearing/bushing wear in your motor and/or stuffing tube. If properly aligned, they should last almost forever in these boats. On the plus side, if you buy them with 1/8" bores on each side, there is enough material that you could drill them out to many other diameters, ie; 4mm, 3/16", 5mm, etc.
Mar 18, 2014, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
I have been using these couplers for years and have never had any failures. Much cheaper than the model u joints.

D
Mar 18, 2014, 05:49 PM
Submarine or Target?
Nice setup.

What's up with the "Cat" motors? They look cool. Is that just a custom covering/paint job? Or are they really a product sold by Caterpillar? what are the specs?
Mar 18, 2014, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Yellow paint and decals. They always get a ton of attention. They are also the size of a coke can.
Pittman motors.
3700 rpm on 12 volts with very low draw.
Will run 4" 4 bladers direct.
Almost extinct on the west coast.

D
Mar 19, 2014, 01:25 PM
Except for the ones in all of the guys tugboat. We tend to hoard the spares we bought when they were available.
Mar 19, 2014, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
I have one left and I'm saving it for a special occasion.

D
Mar 23, 2014, 03:41 PM
coming along there heres a couple of mynellie 'running' you will have a lot of fun with this one i entered a speed boat race in our club with the nellie & came third
Mar 23, 2014, 04:10 PM
Ray, that's a well done model !
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 04, 2016 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply