Mar 29, 2014, 11:42 AM
Hi Ed,
Looking good.....and very straight!
Bob SF
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2014, 12:00 PM
Where's the pond?
I like those square blocks Ed... somewhere around here, we have a thread on building boards...

As you start adding planks, there might be a tendency for them to pull the frames straight up out of the slots... but maybe not if you do a few planks near the gunwale first? Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Mar 29, 2014, 12:45 PM
Man that looks Real nice, this shape is Great ~
Mar 29, 2014, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
I like those square blocks Ed...
Me too- interesting way of approaching that.
Mar 29, 2014, 03:25 PM
GPR
GPR
ED, You are eliminating any possible source of error creeping in to your build. I like the way everything you do is done perfectly. She will be a beauty!
Greg
Mar 29, 2014, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
I like those square blocks Ed... somewhere around here, we have a thread on building boards...

As you start adding planks, there might be a tendency for them to pull the frames straight up out of the slots... but maybe not if you do a few planks near the gunwale first? Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Hi Pat,

Interesting you should mention that. I know I need to add some more stability to it and secure the frames to the building board. I have not thought about how to solve that yet. If any body has some suggestions please post a reply.

Ed
Mar 29, 2014, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell
Hi Pat,

Interesting you should mention that. I know I need to add some more stability to it and secure the frames to the building board. I have not thought about how to solve that yet. If any body has some suggestions please post a reply.

Ed
I saw where on another thread OBW mentioned gluing the frames to the building board with hot melt adhesive. When the hull is removed from the board, the hot melt can be be peeled off the frames and support blocks without damaging them. I plan to try it soon on a new project.

Pete G.
Mar 30, 2014, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor
I saw where on another thread OBW mentioned gluing the frames to the building board with hot melt adhesive. When the hull is removed from the board, the hot melt can be be peeled off the frames and support blocks without damaging them. I plan to try it soon on a new project.

Pete G.

Thanks Pete,

I used hot glue on the foam board frames and it is surprisingly strong and it can be peeled off. I will give it a try.

Ed
Mar 30, 2014, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
This morning I hot glued the frames to the building board and it feels really solid. I removed all the blocks that centered the frames. Both sides of the tabs are hot glued. I will install some more stringers then it will be time to plank.

Ed
Mar 30, 2014, 04:21 PM
what a nice shape that is...
Apr 05, 2014, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
I am starting to install some planks. The bow has quite a severe curve to it. There was no way I could plank it with the 3/8 wide balsa planks. So I used 1/8 by 1/8 balsa and at the very front of the bow I had to steam the plank or it would snap in two. I used my old method of laying a wet rag on the plank then moving a very hot iron back and forth to steam the plank then apply super glue and Zip kicker. I also had to steam the top two 3/8 wide planks at the bow by the keel. The rest of the planks should go on without the steam.

Ed
Apr 05, 2014, 01:26 PM
Hi Ed,
The boat looks great. I like your ironing technique. Bob SF
Apr 14, 2014, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
I did some planking today and ran out of wood. The rest of this week will be busy so I won't be able to finish planking till next week. It is starting to take shape. I glue one plank on one side then do a plank on the other side and repeat the process.

Ed
Apr 14, 2014, 07:06 PM
WooHoo!
"It is starting to take shape."
It certainly is, looks great!
Apr 14, 2014, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob
"It is starting to take shape."
It certainly is, looks great!
Yes indeed!

Quick Reply