Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 12, 2014, 10:10 AM
Build Log

Exceed MaxStone 1/10 Scale Rock Crawler / Picture heavy!

I have recently purchased a Exceed MaxStone 10. This is my first experience with RC crawlers. I do have a heli and tank but nothing i modded/upgraded at all. So this is all pretty new to me.

I am going to start off slow with my upgrades. I plan on mostly doing upgrades I found others doing in the MaxStone 10 build logs, Such as the foam cutting, re position of links and suspension (to fix/correct TT and tire clearance), grease the diffs, water proof what is not (at least the best I can), steering trim, and whatever else I come across. As parts break I plan on replacing with nice upgraded parts versus stock.

Below I will list the extra/upgrade items I purchase for the Exceed so anyone with questions know what I have experience with as the time fly's by

Upgrade Items Purchased:
  • Racer's Edge 7.2V 3300mAh 6 cell NiMH RC Battery Pack
  • Hot Bodies 67772 Rover Tire - Rock Crawler White
  • Tenergy Smart Universal Charger for NiMH / NiCd Battery pack 7.2V - 12V with charging current Selection/Temperature Sensor
  • Motion Pro 08-0454 Silver Steel Wheel Weight 1/4 oz segments
  • White Lithium Grease
  • Team Associated 5432 32.5 Weight Silicone Shock Fluid
  • Traxxas 5341X Steering Linkage Turnbuckle 3x30mm, Revo, 2-Piece (for the rear end)

The unboxing of my new Exceed MaxStone 1/10 scale Rock Crawler!

Below you will find pictures of the mods with descriptions.

So right away I noticed what others have said about the toe issue with the wheels. I corrected this by trimming the wheel connect linkage. I cut the first one a bit shorter then what I wanted and kind made a mess of it but the front one looked a lot better after I learned my lesson I plan on getting another turnbuckle anyways so that rod will be removed all together.

As I was looking at the drive train flow I noticed all the sharp angles the drive shaft made. I corrected this by moving the center linkage from the middle position to the outer most positions. This ended up twisting the differentials upwards to point at the gear box. You can see in the pictures how the drive shaft makes a almost straight run into the differential.

I started to work on making a bit more waterproof, I am not looking to submerge this. I sprayed the front servo with some waterproofing enamel. I did not take pictures however because it is clear so you wouldn't notice anyways. Still have to waterproof the receiver.

I fit a Hummer h3 from a Ne Bright on to it. It looks ok; but I would rather prefer a highly detailed scale body. But I am learning the process before getting to dip in.

This thing is so much fun! The high torque motor lets it climb right up walls!

03/19/2014:
Tires have been changed to the Hot Bodies 67772 Rover Tire - Rock Crawler White. I then put 4oz of wheel weight on the back and 2oz of weight on the front wheels. I tested and was pleasantly surprised, but thought it could still do better.
So next I pulled the shocks off and replaced the little bit of oil with 32.5wt. I then replaced the medium springs in the back with the strong springs. For the front I replaced the medium springs with the soft springs. After testing running it for a bit I found myself to climb and go over/past obstacles I had issues with before. I think I am just about ready for summer time and some rocks!

03/20/2014:
I shaved the steering stop nubs off to achieve a better steering radius. It worked but I was hoping for more. I will make this 4 wheel steer this summer. I already have the parts picked out but I want to test this in a pit on the rocks before hand. Find pictures below...You will also notice this is after I adjusted the suspension and mounted the Hot Bodies tires.

04/04/2014:
I trimmed the Traxxas turnbuckle and fitted it to the back so I could remove the steering rod. Worked out fine, not really a performance mod but it looks better and is one less thing to get hung up on.

Here is some pictures out playing, before the tires and spring mods:

Came across this well window shopping; Castle Creations Castle Link USB Programming Adapter. Install the software on a tablet, plug in, and go!...If it's easy as it appears to be that is.
Last edited by RCawdor; Apr 09, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2014, 03:11 AM
Try it out with the stock tires at first so you can compare the two.
Mar 13, 2014, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72
Try it out with the stock tires at first so you can compare the two.
I will, I am going to road test it completely stock first. Tires won't be arriving until next week anyways.
Apr 05, 2014, 09:15 AM
Any new updates? I just got in my 2007 Silverado body. It's the one with the 13" wheelbase to fit this truck. Going to paint it Spaz Stix Candy apple green to go with all the green anodized aluminum. Making mine a kind of loud, gaudy, redneck truck scaler. Might even put the little balls on the rear. I hate seeing those things on trucks but it fits the scheme I am going for. Also might put Lotto Winner Baby on the window!

I'm going to do your link mod to reduce stress on the diff axles.
Apr 08, 2014, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72
Any new updates? I just got in my 2007 Silverado body. It's the one with the 13" wheelbase to fit this truck. Going to paint it Spaz Stix Candy apple green to go with all the green anodized aluminum. Making mine a kind of loud, gaudy, redneck truck scaler. Might even put the little balls on the rear. I hate seeing those things on trucks but it fits the scheme I am going for. Also might put Lotto Winner Baby on the window!

I'm going to do your link mod to reduce stress on the diff axles.
Updated! I completed the Traxxas turnbuckle mod for the rear. Nothing really exciting though. But ohhh man that tire setup with the suspension adjustments!!!! I am blowing away at what it can crawl over now. The snow in northern MN is melting away fast though. Which means I will finally be able to get this out to the pits for some rock crawling! Which in turn means I will most likely be breaking some of the plastic internals. So I will be preforming part upgrades soon. I also, after some experience on the rocks, will be purchasing another servo and performing the 4-wheel steer mod. Even after I shaved those nubs down the steering is still poor. It goes through the water pretty good as well! Just have to beware of going to deep unless you waterproofed, of course even I am careful.

I am please about the link mod I did. It should help reduce some stress and possible binding.
Last edited by RCawdor; Apr 09, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
Jul 04, 2014, 03:17 AM

Max crawlers

I got a mad torque 1/8 scale and the defference between it and the max stone is almost five lbs. 2180 g. I like my torque it is very fun. Whould like to get the four wheel steering. Mine came pre-broke, the tranie mount for the y link was split (both) upon arival. My friend broke the little stearing arm. As I think, I haven't broken anything yet. Good old dumb luck. Aloha Loren
Jul 29, 2014, 10:29 AM
any updates?
can you post some pics of the servo and the linkage setup for steering?
i'm working on a custom build and need some ideas for the steering set up.
is there a link for the 4 wheel steering setup you mentioned?

thanks
Oct 17, 2014, 12:55 PM
Here's my Maxstone build. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1866186