Mar 11, 2014, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

what material to build delta?

I want to build a Delta like Leon Radiodunja posted on YouTube. Any idea what material he used to build it? Foamboard? Coroplast? What do you suggest? THANKS.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2014, 06:11 PM
Hi Warren!
Couldn't find the link.

Tony Nacaratto has been making delta jets out of 1/2" plastic covered sheet foam, like from Home Depot.
Check this out: http://hmongplus.com/S0g2TmduYXE2WnM3
Norm
Last edited by Norm Furutani; Mar 11, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
Mar 11, 2014, 06:15 PM
Here's a page of smaller jets Tony and gang use for combat. http://www.ronknight.com/72056.html

He has others that are twice as big made of the 1/2" foam

Norm
Mar 11, 2014, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
ASP Hornet 0.15 Two Stroke with homemade delta (9 min 41 sec)

I want to build a Delta like Leon Radiodunja posted on YouTube. Any idea what material he used to build it? Foamboard? Coroplast? What do you suggest? THANKS.
Mar 11, 2014, 08:59 PM
B for Bruce
It's very clearly pink polystyrene foam from the local lumberyard. By the looks of it I'd say it's the 1/2 inch stuff.

He's then carved away the leading edge with what appears to be a kitchen knife to sharpen the leading edge over much of the wing. The edge is pretty wavy looking and very flat and sharp cornered so I suspect no sanding was done.

The leading edge was left mostly full depth around the engine mount and by the colour of the wood plate I'm thinking that it's the luan door skin plywood. The right name is "luan" but some folks call it "mahogany" because of the similar colour when varnished to proper mahogany.

The fin is the same style of extruded polystyrene insulating foam but this stuff is blue. And from the thickness it has I'm suspecting it's the fan fold foam used as underlay and insulation for interlocking laminated flooring. But you could just as easily cut the fin from the 1/2 inch pink foam and then slice it thinner.

The control elevons appear to be balsa by their colour.

I hate how folks like this let the exhaust oil just cover all the radio gear. If you build something like this I strongly suggest that you keep the gear just for cheap and expendable models of this sort. NEVER put them into a model with more investment of money or time since who knows what all that oil and vibration has done to all the parts and wiring. A neat idea to at least help avoid the oil spew would be to make a "canopy" that goes over the gear out of a long and skinny plastic pop or other such bottle.
Mar 11, 2014, 09:05 PM
I think it is loosely based on Crazy Herb's Cheap Delta. The plan is likely still on the internet somewhere. I have started one with the similar motor to the one shown. I thought an AP .09 would be good, it recommended an .06 I think, with 3/4" pink foam, but I think the 1/2" blue is better. I may have a drawing somewhere if you can't find it on google, or whatever. Looks like you snuck in when I was typing. The exhaust on these motors exits underneath, and seals "fairly" well. It is a good idea to cover the radio though.
Last edited by aspeed; Mar 11, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
Mar 11, 2014, 09:13 PM
B for Bruce
Very loosely. Crazy Herb's was a higher aspect ratio with the leading edges forming a 90 degree point at the nose. This one looks more like an equilateral delta with 60 degrees at all three apexes. Herb also didn't bother slicing the leading edge down to a sharp shape like this guy did. Similar build materials though.
Mar 11, 2014, 09:48 PM
Wow that took me a half hour to get a scan on here. The leading edge is sharp, but not the trailing edge. Lots of ways to skin a cat. just get the balance right. I'll edit in more pics here. Foam .40 size, balsa c/l .049, and coro pylonish, ones I have sitting around.
Last edited by aspeed; Mar 11, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I like the Crazy Herb. Had a Diamond Dust and liked it a lot but want to try something simpler.
Mar 12, 2014, 02:31 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewbury
Thanks! I like the Crazy Herb. Had a Diamond Dust and liked it a lot but want to try something simpler.
Scratch build EDP, (Electric Ducted Prop), cheap, (only 3s), but slower.

Still great fun and impressive size.

But EDF fliers usually want speeeeeeeed.

Mig Cat Hand (1 min 55 sec)
Mar 12, 2014, 02:43 PM
Thread OP
Nice! Impressive in flight.

Quick Reply