Mar 26, 2014, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
I have big batteries they are on each side of the tank, one a life 4300, and the ignition a 2200. oh well I just added all the weight now she is C/G'd . Now for a good day to maiden!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2014, 05:11 PM
2 many planes & 2 little time
Whats the AUW on this baby?
Mar 26, 2014, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
I haven't weighed it AUW but will, maiden will commence when I get a good day.
Mar 28, 2014, 08:18 AM
Sounds good.I have a Saito 30 FS screwed to the firewall. Still working on the wings. How much lead did you finally have to put in the nose and how did you attach it. I would appreciate a photo.
Mar 28, 2014, 05:02 PM
Hey guys since I cant physically put my hands on one of these can someone check the cowl distance for me ? manual states 160mm from firewall to spinner backplate, seing how the cowl mounts to the side of the fuse, how much room is there to push the cowl out to say 170mm ? hehehe Thanks , Im drooling already

Helifann good luck on the maiden !
Mar 30, 2014, 12:02 PM

Ready to complete CG

Thanks for the build thread. My build is very much like yours. DLE 35r, LiFe batteries, retracts, and equally tail heavy. Mine came out a 3.3lbs with a CG @ 5" from leading edge. Seems like an awful lot of weight to add to a plane that already weighs in at 17.4lbs. I'll be trying to mount the weight further forward. Perhaps a custom mount off of the bottom two engine mounts.?
Last edited by Prometheusboun; Mar 30, 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Mar 30, 2014, 02:49 PM
You spoke of relocating the throttle, did you do this? I used a flex cable and left the servo in it's original location. The choke was a challenge being so close to the firewall but it actually ended up turning out OK.
Mar 31, 2014, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by checksix6
Hey guys since I cant physically put my hands on one of these can someone check the cowl distance for me ? manual states 160mm from firewall to spinner backplate, seing how the cowl mounts to the side of the fuse, how much room is there to push the cowl out to say 170mm ? hehehe Thanks , Im drooling already

Helifann good luck on the maiden !
There is very little room for adjustment as the cowl hides the gap in the magnetically held cover on the top. There may be 6mm's of movement. Any more than that and the gap will begin to show. The gap is about 6mm wide and allows the top cover to move forward when removing. This clears two latches that are a secondary mechanism to hold the cover in place.
Mar 31, 2014, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheusboun
There is very little room for adjustment as the cowl hides the gap in the magnetically held cover on the top. There may be 6mm's of movement. Any more than that and the gap will begin to show. The gap is about 6mm wide and allows the top cover to move forward when removing. This clears two latches that are a secondary mechanism to hold the cover in place.
That is exactly the info I was looking for Prometheusboun ! Thank you very much , sounds like nothing much bigger than a 35 is going to fit without major surgery (and Im not that good at that)
sucking the carb into the firewall doesnt look like an option either as I can see the tank is pretty close to the back of the firewall
Thanks again guys ! Will keep looking for the first maiden vids, Looks like 35ra is whats going to be the "go to" engine for her
Apr 01, 2014, 08:23 AM
You might be able to recess the carb into the firewall. I had to do this with the saito 30. The fuel tank sits on a tray that is roughly half way up the fuse. Hanger9 provide you with a C shaped piece of wood to trap the rear of the tank. This is in a slot, you could get 1/2 to 1 inch without much trouble,
Last edited by spitfire_peter; Apr 01, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
Apr 01, 2014, 07:28 PM
I've followed this thread from the beginning so I hope you don't mind me interjecting here about rear carb engines in general. They generally add more length to the motor than they are worth in my opinion. The throttle body arms are impossibly blocked by the fuel tank and removing the carb from the engine requires the engine be removed from the plane. I'm not a big fan.

By the way, Prometheusboun, (yeah I copied and pasted) I love the throttle cable guide.
I have been building shelves for batteries and lead above the engines in my warbirds. It pains me to add lead..... here's a couple examples. The shelf over the twin is 10 oz of steel holding 9oz of batteries.

By the way, according to measurements given in this thread, my 40cc twin fits sideways in this cowl and the carb which is below the engine would be on one side. Easy access and cable connections.

Another motor to consider might be the EVO35GT ( or 45) They are rail mount front carb motors that weigh alot and run GREAT... swing a 19-20 inch prop.

These lightweight motors are not helping the warbirds as much as they do the acrobatic planes.
Apr 02, 2014, 08:03 AM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4
Another motor to consider might be the EVO35GT ( or 45) They are rail mount front carb motors that weigh alot and run GREAT... swing a 19-20 inch prop.

These lightweight motors are not helping the warbirds as much as they do the acrobatic planes.
+1

I have 3 Moki 30cc front carb (used to be RCS in the US), and an MVVS 35 (Evo?)

Powerful beasts, heavy enough for warbirds, short length for fitting in cowl and will last forever!

Airworld Moki 30cc

MVVS 40cc
Apr 02, 2014, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa
+1

I have 3 Moki 30cc front carb (used to be RCS in the US), and an MVVS 35 (Evo?)

Powerful beasts, heavy enough for warbirds, short length for fitting in cowl and will last forever!

Airworld Moki 30cc

MVVS 40cc
That MVVS sure looks like my EVOs - My buddy runs that 1.80 Moki in a scratch built 60sz Seafury and the 2.10 Moki in a Giant World models Zero. Both planes are FAST.
Apr 08, 2014, 02:37 PM
Thread OP
Ok guys maidened today, she flies superb! Roll out was straight, lifted off no problem. Added a couple of clicks up elevator, a few clicks of aleron and she was flying great! she did not ballon with flaps on, she did come in a little hot. I added a little more flap for the next flight. Flew straight and true, goes where you point her, turns were wide and scale like. Very nice plane, I am very pleased on how she performed and boy is she a head turner at the field!
Apr 08, 2014, 03:37 PM
Whoo HOO ! Congrats on the build and flights.

Quick Reply