Jun 17, 2016, 06:03 PM
Retired CAD guy
You will have to adjust all the TABS and SLOTS to match you new scale.

Good luck with your cuttings and build !

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2016, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
I did a 75 inch and it flew fine. I used carbon to reduce flexing.
Jun 20, 2016, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
I did a 75 inch and it flew fine. I used carbon to reduce flexing.
That´s something I thought about, maybe some flat carbon beams 6x1mm inside a slot on each arm, glued to foam with cyano glue.

Thanks for your help and expert advice.
Sep 19, 2016, 05:24 PM
have everything and ready to build except for the 40 inch long ¼ inch square carbon tube (and haven't looked for the other cf tube)

went to Midwest as suggested and searched around but haven't found it. Before I start kit bashing, anyone know a current source? or suitable substitute?

TIA,
Mike
Sep 19, 2016, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
ly
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
have everything and ready to build except for the 40 inch long ¼ inch square carbon tube (and haven't looked for the other cf tube)

went to Midwest as suggested and searched around but haven't found it. Before I start kit bashing, anyone know a current source? or suitable substitute?

TIA,
Mike
Here are the specs: not 1/4 square but really 5mm square.
.196"OD x .125"ID x 40 inches Stock number #5854
Carbon Fiber Square Tube
Sep 19, 2016, 08:33 PM
grazie Otto !
Sep 19, 2017, 05:21 AM

flyguy3 build new motor location

Hello Otto, Bob and all you fly guy builders ,
The other day I received my flyguy 3 cut-outs from Bob and I’m happy it all arrived in top condition here in Sydney /Australia. I noticed the actual “build” is not hard at all except of two issues I'm having. Number one is the location of the motors. Otto relocated the motors from the shoulders of flyguy 3 to inside the body. I like this idea very much but as hard as I looked, I couldn’t find a description and pictures on RCGroups.com or YouTube of how the new motor mounting and location should look like. I really would be thankful if anyone of you could let me know if there is a link to see how it’s done. The other “problem” I am having is the size of the carbon rod which goes into the arms . In the flyguy 2 parts list it says to use a 1/8” carbon fiber tube, 40” long (appr. 3 mm square carbon rod). In the flyguy 3 parts list is says to use a one 40 inch long ¼ inch square carbon tube (Midwest) . Now, I may be wrong but the ¼ inch rod is about the same thickness as the arm material. In other words the upper and lower surface of the carbon rod would not be “implanted”. Could you tell me if this is acceptable or should I better use a 1/8 inch rod?
Regards: George
Last edited by redbirdflyer; Sep 20, 2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: i gave wrong mesurement
Sep 20, 2017, 08:37 PM
Thread OP

New motor location options

I have not done a build log on these motor layouts because I'm still playing with them. I like both since they remove all torque. Hope this pictures help. Maybe a new build log this winter.
Sep 21, 2017, 04:18 AM
Hello Otto , Thank you very much for the pictures, it is exactly what I was waiting for and will opt for side by side motor setup. I feel in this way the power part will be more serviceable. I bought at e bay a Elvis wig but since I'm building Superman my hairdresser accepted to challenge to give Elvis a good trimming and radical haircut to make him look like Superman. Hopefully Superman will be cruising soon above Sydney harbour. Thanks again Otto for the pictures, I appreciate it a lot. George
Sep 21, 2017, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdflyer View Post
Hello Otto , Thank you very much for the pictures, it is exactly what I was waiting for and will opt for side by side motor setup. I feel in this way the power part will be more serviceable. I bought at e bay a Elvis wig but since I'm building Superman my hairdresser accepted to challenge to give Elvis a good trimming and radical haircut to make him look like Superman. Hopefully Superman will be cruising soon above Sydney harbour. Thanks again Otto for the pictures, I appreciate it a lot. George
Want pictures flying above Sydney Harbour!
Sep 22, 2017, 08:50 AM
Hi Otto .. I defiantly promise pictures of superman above Sydney harbour

We sorted out the motor issue but I’m still wary of the thickness of the carbon rod which goes down the arms. Here is a slightly shorter version of my question:
To stiffen up the arms, in the flyguy2 parts list it says to use a 1/8” carbon fiber tube (appr. 3 mm square carbon rod).
In the flyguy 3 parts list is says to use a ¼ inch square carbon tube. Now, the ¼ inch (6 mm ) rod is about the same thickness as the arm material (6 mm) . In other words the upper and lower surface of the carbon rod would not be “implanted”. Could you tell me if this is acceptable in particular if I glue this rod in very well or should I better use a 1/8 inch rod as recommended for flyguy2?
Sep 22, 2017, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
The arms should be fine with 1/8 inch carbon rod. I use 1/4 carbon tube in the shoulder plate to plug the carbon rods into if you want to remove the arms. The motor support structure is made from 1/4 inch square tube (5mm) and 5 mm ply.

Have fun!!!
Oct 06, 2017, 07:30 AM

propeller size flyguy 3 inside body mount

Hi Otto .. I wonder what size propellers you used on Flyguy3 with the motors inside the body ? In your build log it says to use APC 7 x 4SF props but this size would fit only on shoulder mounted motors. 7x4 would not fit inside the body or within the right and left body- wall . I noticed in your pictures, you use inside the body one CW and one CCW propeller. Could you let me know what size they are and if you used slow fly propellers for it. Also, before I forget, I know there is a debate about CG but cant find it. Can you please tell me where the CG point is ? Thank you : )
Oct 06, 2017, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdflyer View Post
Hi Otto .. I wonder what size propellers you used on Flyguy3 with the motors inside the body ? In your build log it says to use APC 7 x 4SF props but this size would fit only on shoulder mounted motors. 7x4 would not fit inside the body or within the right and left body- wall . I noticed in your pictures, you use inside the body one CW and one CCW propeller. Could you let me know what size they are and if you used slow fly propellers for it. Also, before I forget, I know there is a debate about CG but cant find it. Can you please tell me where the CG point is ? Thank you : )
Use APC 7x5 CW and CCW cut down and balanced to fit the cavity. For CG, I need to see the body assembled to see which body you have.
Oct 17, 2017, 04:46 PM
How does this affect using the motors for yaw control?

Quick Reply