This thread is privately moderated by dmrcflyr2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 08, 2014, 04:40 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
Discussion

The Saito Mid's 65, 80, 91 head to head

I have put 4 tanks of fuel through the 80GK as of this writing and the break-in process is nearing completion. The rest really needs to take place on an airplane BUT I don't have one for either of the mid sized Saito's I have.

I took the chance to run all three engines today just as a general comparison of starting and operating characteristics. I hand start EVERY engine I own 2 and 4 stroke. So obviously one of my evaluation points is how easily an engine I own starts.

Of the 3 Saito's my favorites from a overall operating characteristics to include cold/warm starting, throttle transition, and idle, are in order 65, 91, 80.

The 65 is just a sweetheart in every way. It takes the least prime, it is the easiest to start, nicest idle and excellent transition. This engine has at most 7-8 tanks of fuel through it. It averages 2 flips to start.

The 91 is a VERY close second. When this engine was purchased it was well used; so it is fully broken in. This engine might take 3-4 flips to start.

The 80 is a real BITCH of an engine. It takes the most effort to prime it; in fact both times from cold it needed fuel shot into the glow plug hole before it would fire up. The compression ratio is so high it kicks back and literally tore my leather glove up just getting it started. Granted it is not broken in but it really pours out the exhaust smoke. I have it set at about 3 full turns open. When I started to try to lean it a bit it detonated and threw the prop. Obviously, it is not ready for me to lean it out just yet. Even at that setting it was turning a MA 13x6 at 9300 RPM. I used the exact same prop on all 3 engines today. In comparison the 91 was turning the 13x6 at over 10,000 RPM. The 65 was turning about 8500 RPM.

I am sure the 80 will calm down a bit as I run more fuel through it; not compression wise, but hopefully in the priming department. But now it is quite nerve wracking to start. I have not changed my mind, I am still keeping it. This is only the second GK engine I have owned in over 15 Saito's I have had. The first was a 50.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply