This thread is privately moderated by eMoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 06, 2014, 11:16 AM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Discussion

Did I mention battery charger?

I guess I'm glutton for punishment. Another tangent project...I built a charging "station"

It's not so much a station as a case for my small charger and battery needs. My lipos range from 2s-800mah up to only a 3s-2000mah. But going to the field with various lipos, the charger the planes and spare parts wound up being an exercise on the stair master as I live in a second floor apartment. I wanted something, clean and simple and easy to carry. RCGroups to the rescue again....

This went through various stages and did I mention I think I have A.D.D.? It's self diagnosed but I swear I have it. I don't have completed pics of my first version as it did not last long. It was big and bulky and wound up being more of a pain to carry as it was unbalanced. I tried to fit the transmitter and charger in one case but wound up not liking the arrangement. It also housed my "field battery", a 4s 10ah lifepo that could charge my small batteries sufficiently.

I used this for only a short while and decided on a smaller case for the charger and doing something else for my DX6i. Again, the case houses my charger, a 106B and the AC power supply but also has the same 4s 10ah field battery underneath. I used the small harbor freight case and lined it with industrial velcro to hold all the various wires and gear. I'm still using this setup as it has been working well.

I have plans for a third variation in the future....that will be in a future blog post though as I will tackle that next winter.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2014, 11:29 AM
Tree hopper
Great Ideal!! Could be a big market for something like this!! Neat ideal. Original.
Mar 06, 2014, 11:43 AM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Thanks, I like it and it has been working out well.

I'm starting the planning phase for a more inclusive field box. Thinking about something to carry spare parts and field tools, the charger and batteries and my transmitter. I'm attempting to make packing and unpacking gear an easier process.
Mar 06, 2014, 11:49 AM
Tree hopper
You see my radio box? Lots of room for batteries gear, radio, anything else you'd want to bring along.
Mar 06, 2014, 11:52 AM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
I did see that and I'm on a similar path. I will be sure to post some pics on the blog.

Now that you got me started on this blog thing I can't seem to stop...lol. Although I'm merely catching up on the last 2 or 3 years. Until you requested some blog posts I didn't even realize this amenity to RCGroups.
Mar 06, 2014, 11:59 AM
Tree hopper
I did some "friends" reading yesterday , and 47 blogs later, You get some ideals, and information. I now have 68 threads subscribed too. good info out there.
Feb 17, 2017, 02:16 PM
This looks like a decent platform for my charger and power supply, not so much for the overall "portability" but more that it can be contained in a case and moved out of the way. Did you completely shell and discard the interior or is the inner wood structure (outer edges and bottom) the way it is built with original covering removed?

Quick Reply