This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 25, 2014, 04:17 PM
Drone is a pretty negative sort of name; drones are the bees that dont work, merely hang around and free load on the results of the workers efforts, whilst waiting the chance to have it off with any available female. Reminds me of politicians!
Drone forum? No way no day.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2014, 11:04 AM
I'm pretty sure an insect is the last thing people will think of when the they hear the word "drone".
May 26, 2014, 06:49 PM
I'm afraid you are right, "Droning noise! Must be a Drone! Draw the blinds quick Mary Lou!"
May 26, 2014, 07:18 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of a Reaper UAV, complete with hellfire missiles.
Jun 27, 2014, 12:36 PM
Foam Wrecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser
The media is going to get it wrong regardless. Maybe having drone in the title may lead them to read some of the threads here and *cough* get educated.
When has that ever happened? Besides, if they educate themselves and have any integrity, they lose their sensational news stories.
Sep 12, 2014, 08:59 PM
Designations of description are accurate reguarless if one likes the words used. Acceptance of the term must be the answer, and if thinking that running and hiding, and saying that is not a drone, when we know it is known by this term is quite shortsighted.

Use the right word, and when it evolves or as a community evolve it then change it again.

The name of the forum should have "Drone" in the title as well as "UAV" and maybe even "Autonomous Vechical" thinking it should be otherwise is not living in the reality of today.
Sep 12, 2014, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearig
Designations of description are accurate reguarless if one likes the words used. Acceptance of the term must be the answer, and if thinking that running and hiding, and saying that is not a drone, when we know it is known by this term is quite shortsighted.

Use the right word, and when it evolves or as a community evolve it then change it again.

The name of the forum should have "Drone" in the title as well as "UAV" and maybe even "Autonomous Vechical" thinking it should be otherwise is not living in the reality of today.
Well said.
Sep 22, 2014, 04:05 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
So if the media, and by their influence the general public also, wants to completely ignorantly call a RADIO CONTROLLED aircraft a drone, we just accept it? We also in fact start calling our controlled-in-real-time by a human radio controlled aircraft a drone also?

I think it's ridiculous that a totally normal radio-controlled aircraft is now automatically a drone. Even if it carries no electronic stabilization, autopilot, sensor, or anything of the sort. It does not fit into the general idea of a drone at all. It was, and always has been, a radio controlled aircraft. A term that worked fine for 30+ years.

I'll admit that the line blurs once you add wireless video, to the general public and the media (even though it may be only FPV with NO other computer assist involved and is therefore STILL a radio controlled aircraft!).

It blurs quite a bit more once you add stabilization/RTH, and so on. And to me, if you add an autopilot, it is quite clearly fair to call it a "drone".
Sep 29, 2014, 11:29 AM
Absolutely NO vote on the use of the word "drone".

The use of the word drone is just a marketing ploy to gain attention.

The truth is 99.999% of all of us are RC hobbyist and frankly are flying toys for our personal enjoyment and entertainment. Even if you collect video it is not a drone, it is just a flying camera.

If you do 100% autonomous flight then you have a drone. I know some controllers have this capability but only a tiny minority of pilots use that feature.

This is how the general population sees the word "drone".
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Drones (HBO) (12 min 57 sec)
Sep 29, 2014, 02:59 PM
I believe I see you point however still completely disagree when referring to this thread, it is called UAV.

Typical RC vehicles are not drones, or UAVs, they are RC vehicals , the same as they have been for years. I did not think that was the debate.

RC Vehicles lost my interest years time ago, Drones and UAVs (Flying Robots) regained my attention and revived my spirit for the industry. Personally I could really care less what the media calls them, they typically get in wrong anyway. I just do not think that trying to say they are different based on a few technical features is going to convince many people.

Really I do not want anyone thinking what I work on is just a RC thing, either, They are flying robots, and referring to them that way seems equally misguided. UAV gets most of it right however by basic definition that covers RC vehicles, and again I am not talking about typical RC vehicles, so as the thread started, should there be a name change, I think yes, my suggestion is,

Unmanned Autonomous Vehicles
Oct 22, 2014, 07:25 AM
Common sense. When the general public / media / goverment here the word "drone" they think of a military weapon of destruction. Why would intellegent constructive hobby people want to associated with this term, when this is NOT what they are doing? If we do not make the right choices we will one day be highly restricted or lose the right to have this hobby!
Oct 22, 2014, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFergus
Common sense. When the general public / media / goverment here the word "drone" they think of a military weapon of destruction.
*sigh* A multirotor is a drone in the public and media eyes. You just have to watch the evening new to hear a statement like "A drone captures these stunning pictures" or "A drone does something stupid-(insert your own here)".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFergus
If we do not make the right choices we will one day be highly restricted or lose the right to have this hobby!
Completely agree, but it will be our actions that will dictate how much this hobby gets restricted-not the name we choose.
Last edited by Beerwiser; Oct 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Oct 22, 2014, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser
*sigh* A multirotor is a drone in the public and media eyes. You just have to watch the evening new to hear a statement like "A drone captures these stunning pictures" or "A drone does something stupid-(insert your own here)".

Completely agree, but it will be our actions that will dictate how much this hobby gets restricted-not the name we choose.
Turning the term into a badge of honor seems like a better direction. Since the term is very well known we could use it to our advantage as the opportunities are much greater than just the hobbyist.

Here is a picture of our latest Drone:

it is still a robot that does stuff for you...
Nov 06, 2014, 11:52 PM
The more I think about it I think this Forum name should include RPA in the title... it seems like a proper inclusion...
Nov 07, 2014, 01:01 AM
Anything that brings people here to learn facts about this hobby is a plus in my books. I am curious about the mods stance on this thread as it has been going for some time now.

Quick Reply