This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 21, 2014, 08:34 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
As Gary aptly put it... all other names get a raised eyebrows and a few clicks. The pubic knows what drones are and click. If you want to keep it a more private club than go with UAS.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2014, 02:38 AM
Closed Account
Who needs the unwanted attention? One has to be smart enough to find the place and some of the recent posts indicate that a few slip by anyway. Big club attention gets the paranoid and the governmentally inclined to chime in with all sorts of useless "contribution"... look at how the Trappy and "now illegal" threads refuse to die. The boring yet descriptive title keeps the riffraff out of, yes, what I prefer to be a small club. The next thing ya know the FAA will want an audience!
Apr 23, 2014, 09:18 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
I don't know... I watch some of the videos of the stunts and routines people fly and do. I think we need to educate folks or there will be a public backlash as more of this crap starts falling out of the sky.
Apr 23, 2014, 09:25 AM
Neighbors: "Hey is that a drone you're flying??"
Me: "Nope. It's just a helicopter with 4 blades"
Neighbors: "Oh, wow that is so cool!"
Last edited by Pedals2Paddles; May 02, 2014 at 07:04 AM.
May 01, 2014, 09:13 PM
MINE!
Drone bad!!!!!!!
May 01, 2014, 09:14 PM
MINE!
UAS would be better...
May 03, 2014, 04:29 PM
"Drones" they are. Imho, like it or not, best to get used to it
May 03, 2014, 08:16 PM
"Get used to it"sounds all tough but fails in reality. For those that are REALISTIC, it is not a good idea.
May 03, 2014, 10:10 PM
These are drones. (click on "Air")
http://www.northropgrumman.com/capab...s/default.aspx

RC Hobby stuff is not.
No matter how much money you spend, or what tee shirt you wear, RC stuff is not and never will be in this class of aircraft.
Ever.

Saying "I fly a drone" is just down right silly, unless you really are in a van and a commissioned USAF Officer.

Tangling up in this terminology is bad bad bad for the hobbyist or flying photographer. There is nothing to be gained and everything to loose by insinuating that it's possible for anyone to have military grade hardware. Just say "No".
May 04, 2014, 09:51 AM
Military use is not required for it to be accurately called a drone. The word is not and never has been reserved for military use. The problem is that is what the general public thinks of first. Spying devices. We didn't create that image, but we're stuck with the fact that is how it is. To keep us in a good public perception, using the word drone to describe our hobby is probably not wise.
May 05, 2014, 02:23 AM
Any multirotor flown LOS, FPV or autonomously is a drone in the general public/media eyes.
May 14, 2014, 02:52 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
@ Beerwiser: So those of us that know better should just accept the public's ignorant misuse of the word and adopt it ourselves? I think not.
May 14, 2014, 06:16 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp
Saying "I fly a drone" is just down right silly, unless you really are in a van and a commissioned USAF Officer.
Correction; NAVAIR
May 16, 2014, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
@ Beerwiser: So those of us that know better should just accept the public's ignorant misuse of the word and adopt it ourselves? I think not.
From any definition I could find on drone it applies to all parts of rc. Unmanned vehicle controlled by radio control or on board computer. Does the public know or care if you have a simple KK board or a ardupilot controling you multirotor? The real question is do we want the extra attention that putting drone in the title will bring. Hiding in the shadows flying your drone will only rasise the publics paranoia of anything that flys without a operator onboard. It is a uphill battle to try and change their perception, but having them come here to get educated is far better than some of the other places they can get "educated". Personally I have nothing to hide when flying my drone and I have yet to see anything in this section that I would consider to be in poor judgement. In fact most threads in this section are positive uses.
May 19, 2014, 06:25 PM
I understand why "Drones" is being considered, but I think using it would be a step backwards. We use UAS often and UAV.

Sully

Quick Reply