This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 20, 2014, 12:45 PM
David1
I vote no. Only because what if the word UAV becomes publicly unacceptable? Or what if RC becomes negatively used in the media? Do we just go about changing the names of things to follow public opinion?

Why don't we agree to collectively be a source of positive information and work to educate the public on the positive uses or "drones"...oh wait. That's what forums are for

Keep drone. Lose negativity associated with it via long term positive feedback treatments in the form of more educated and well written forum posts.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2014, 06:04 PM
I vote no on "drone" along with pretty much everyone else who has voiced an opinion.

I am thinking about "Exonym" vs. "Endoym." An exonym is what outsiders call a group, endonym is what the group calls itself. When it comes to exonyms and ethnicity, often the names or the implications that go along with the names are not entirely complementary or don't convey the true nature of the group and that sort of thing is general frowned upon outside of professional football team names.

Drone is an exonym. Drone is not a good descriptive word. UAV or UAS is the more preferred endonym. I don't think we should let outsiders peg us with their name for us, especially when that name carries a multitude of negative connotations.

If we were looking for a descriptive title, I really like "aerial robotics" for what goes on here ... TLA's (three letter acronyms) often have gov't/official/military/corporate connotations.
Mar 22, 2014, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clolson

Drone is an exonym. Drone is not a good descriptive word. UAV or UAS is the more preferred endonym. I don't think we should let outsiders peg us with their name for us, especially when that name carries a multitude of negative connotations.
Unfortunately the public has already painted us with the word drone and all its negative connotations. A google search will show that.
I believe the question was to add drone to the title or not. I still believe having drone in the title will give the public a chance to see the real side of what we do regardless of what we call ourselves internally. You can try and distance yourself from the name drone, UAV/UAS etc, but the public does not care. Renaming the title completely just makes me think of " a bunch of people hiding in the basement tinkering and trying to avoid everyone" <--sorry can't come up with the words to convey it better, but I think you know what I mean.
On a side note if anyone does do something really positive with their drone they should use the term drone/ UAV /UAS as much as possible .
Mar 22, 2014, 07:48 PM
USA
Considering the number of times the 'D' word has been used in this discussion, it seems that it now makes no difference if the name change takes place or not. Any good search engine will find the word dozens, or maybe hundreds, of times and point the searcher in our direction.

Later;

D.W.
Mar 25, 2014, 08:03 AM
Sr. Ext. UAS Pilot, NMSU FTC
As a profesional UAS Pilot I say no.... The official FAA adopted name for them is Unmanned Arial System (UAS).
Mar 28, 2014, 10:30 AM
Closed Account
Screw the FAA! Use anything but the name THEY want to call it. The FAA is not aligned with the sUAS community (neither is AUVSI).
Mar 28, 2014, 03:08 PM
David1
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop
Screw the FAA! Use anything but the name THEY want to call it. The FAA is not aligned with the sUAS community (neither is AUVSI).
Well, seems AUVSI likely just aligns with the direction that pays the bills. Many of us on RCG here have watched this all start and followed it long enough to see who really aligns with whom.

You'd have to define the sUAS community you refer to a bit better. The public one or commercial one? Is it not normal commercial things further themselves? The media is not free and is a business as well. If it's a corporation then it has to act in a way that returns the most profit to the shareholders.
Mar 28, 2014, 05:19 PM
Definitely not a good idea.
Mar 30, 2014, 10:27 AM
Closed Account
I have been flying sUAS since 2002 and on RCG since 2004. I build and fly commercially and work as a robotics director for CalUAS. sUAS is defined as small unmanned aerial systems. The FAA can boil over on what that means... I already know.
Mar 30, 2014, 10:54 PM
What positives would come from adding 'drone' to the title?

- It would make it easier for uninformed people to find.

And the negatives?

- Attracting uninformed users might lower the quality of forum content.
- It would increase the publicity of the forum to uninformed researchers.

There are benefits to attracting new users, but I'm not sure this is the way to do it. Using the correct term (UAS) might make it harder to find for people who are unfamiliar with this area, but I think it's important for this community to promote positive knowledge. Part of that comes with the understanding that these are not just vehicles, they are part of a system that usually includes a GCS and operator.
Apr 01, 2014, 07:01 PM
You can call it a HOCKEY PUCK for all I care, just let me go fly the thing!
Apr 08, 2014, 10:16 AM
400' + is where fun starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop
I say FU FAA & FO
Apr 08, 2014, 10:30 AM
No.

A thousand times no.

RPV is probably the most descriptive.
Remotely Piloted Vehicle.
Apr 08, 2014, 10:42 AM
Gaftopher
Well if you go that way you should make it RPAS as the command and control link is an important part of the system. That's why UAV is out of favour as it only refers to the airframe itself.
Apr 09, 2014, 05:54 PM
Well, most of the time I like things to be both precise and understandable, if possible.

Name: larson-oct-1987.gif
Views: 112
Size: 24.3 KB
Description:

However, what would one prefer to call the "cat" in this instane? The FLGMPDFA? : The Fuzzy Logic Guided Mose Propelled Domestic Furry Animal, (more precise) -or simply; The Cat?

Last edited by brakar; Apr 10, 2014 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply