Jul 07, 2015, 08:02 AM
A man with too many toys
I think we should delete this thread. It has the perfect name and it’s obvious that RCG has no interest in changing the name.

The word Drone just gets too much bad press these days and we all should stop using that term.

to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2015, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite
What's wrong with UAV?
The only problem I have with it, is that it applies to pretty much every craft in rcgroups. They are all unmanned.

AUV, where the A stands for "autonomous" would be better, although UAS would work too.
Sep 05, 2016, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkirk
I'm neutral about including "drone" in the title.

I do think this forum should be moved into the FPV category and the Full Category be renamed FPV/UAV.

There is not a clear separation between the two other than the real_time collection of viewable video. Both areas use a lot of the same functionality, such as stabilization, GPS, Video. FPV can include autopilot, and both can include GoPro type cameras with the video captured on SD-cards to be played back later.

There is no reason that this forum should be separated out of the FPV Group of Forums.
Well, there are a lot of UAVs (esp. commercial) that don't do FPV at all but rather have other purposes (e.g., environmental monitoring, etc.), so I think the separation is legitimate.

As for the 'drone' question: I'll add my 'no' vote for many of the reasons already cited above.
Sep 05, 2016, 06:36 PM
A man with too many toys

sUAV

Since the FAA officially calls then sUAV that would be the most appropriate name.

I think the best would be sUAV/sUAS

Sep 08, 2016, 01:35 PM
Gaftopher
The FAA officially calls them sUAS
Aug 28, 2017, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer
The FAA officially calls them sUAS
How do you say that? Sewers or Sue Arse?
Aug 28, 2017, 07:55 AM
Gaftopher
su ass
Aug 29, 2017, 09:13 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
The DoD is settling on "Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)" (the spelling is soldier-proof) that consist of "Unmanned Aircraft Vehicles (UAVs)" and "Ground Control Systems (GCS)".

You will also see Small-UAS (SUAS) for those under 50 pounds in weight.
Nov 09, 2017, 09:56 PM
PAV....Pilotless Ariel Vehicle
AWOP....Aircraft WithOut Pilot
ASP.....Aircraft Sans Pilot
POGAIA.....Pilot On Ground Aircraft In Air
Dec 22, 2017, 09:18 AM
"FPV LongRanger"
How about just going back to what it was always called to begin with call it a rc model like rc model plane or rc model quadcopter......now if you want to support the government and the name they gave us UAV or drone go ahead but that just supports them and their thinking they want us to go away forever. So I would use the name we began with calling ourselves drone pilots or UAV pilots just makes us look bad in the public eye and the gubberment loves it.....Happy holidays. .
Dec 29, 2017, 12:55 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
If "we" want people who are "less-knowledgeable about the hobby" to easily find this forum in internet searches, then the forum needs to be populated with the sorts of words people will use in their search criteria.

I also grew up in east Texas where every cold, carbonated drink is indiscriminately called a "Coke".

While I do not like how the word "drones" is indiscriminately used, it is part of normal usage and will be used as search terms. When I use "Drone" in my professional role, I always place it in quotes and, am ready with a definition for those who ask.

And, for those who wonder, a "drone" is--to me--an unmanned vehicle capable of BVR (beyond visual range) or BVLOS (beyond visual line-of-sight) operation.

David

Quick Reply