Mar 05, 2014, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Waco-E Bipe

Anyone out there had any experience building a Waco-E Bipe?? Or had any experience or thoughts on flight characteristics??
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2014, 03:19 PM

WACO Bipe

If this is what you are considering, then go for it.
The Waco is a really beautiful airplane.

I've got an old Pica kit, not the E, (.60 size) that is hanging up in the basement, just waiting for final paint.
Mar 05, 2014, 05:55 PM

Waco SRE

Not sure which Waco you refer to. But one of the guys I fly with has two Waco SRE that fly great with E-power. Silk and dope. Jack
Mar 05, 2014, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
That looks like the right one Jack. It is a cabin . How do they fly?? Heavy wing loading or do they float in pretty smooth?
Thanks
Mar 05, 2014, 08:44 PM
Both float in smooth on light wind days. Built from a free flight plan. The second one enlarged a bit and flys better. The smaller lower wing is one reason they fly so good. He got an ARF Waco from Hobby Lobby with both top and bottom wings of a Waco cabin and not such a good flying model. Jack
Mar 05, 2014, 08:45 PM
The ARF from Hobby Lobby bottom and top wings same span. Jack
Mar 06, 2014, 09:08 AM
Thread OP
what are the wingspans on the two you have Jack?

Lee
Mar 06, 2014, 11:00 AM
Not sure of the Waco SRE wing spans as they are not mine but Phil Semmer's. Phil is in Florida now and I think the Waco SRE models are in Illinois. Here is a photo of Phil holding the first and smaller version. Jack
Mar 06, 2014, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
I am looking at a choice of plans with either 52" or 72" (top wing ) span. I think original FF plans were about 33-36" span. Looks like Phil might be holding one of those.
Thanks for your help.

Lee
Mar 06, 2014, 10:02 PM
Dumas has a 35" w/s Waco ARE kit designed by Pat Tritle. Very nice slow, scale-like flying model designed for electric powered RC. Originally used a small geared GWS brush motor, nowadays would use a small low KV outrunner motor and 800mah 2 cell lipo.
If you really want a much larger model, you should ask for help locating plans on the the scale kit/scratch built forum:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288602
Mar 08, 2014, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info.
Mar 08, 2014, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer53
Anyone out there had any experience building a Waco-E Bipe?? Or had any experience or thoughts on flight characteristics??
Thanks
I built a Waco YKC-S last year. The plan was from a scan that I had from the Forum and sized it to what I wanted, about 48" span I believe. It`s a beautiful looking aircraft and I was looking for a full gap biplane that was a bit different! It flew very well with little or no adjustment to the trim and really looks the part in the air as you can see. I`m very pleased with the outcome so I`d say go for it!
Bob Imp.
Mar 09, 2014, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Nice !!!
Thanks

Lee
Mar 10, 2014, 06:17 AM
Thread OP
What covering did you use?
Thanks
Lee
Mar 10, 2014, 08:09 AM