Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 03, 2014, 06:50 PM
go ahead and try
Discussion

Rimcopter challenge

Guys...

I am maintaining that a Rimcopter outperforms any other multi on the market.

The only "open source" frame I am aware of , and already has global availability.

Due to the single piece frame, Rimcopters have a flight performance unlike any other type of multi.

Better, and less expensive. Its not often you find such a combo.

Here is the challenge... show me a Multi that has specs and flight characteristics that surpass a Rimcopter, that cost's less.

If you can, I will send you a rimcopter kit, on me.

Simplyfly
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2014, 10:15 PM
go ahead and try
I very much doubt that any further posts will be made to this thread.

My point made, I apologize if I came off sounding a bit arrogant... just a little bit of gouging going on out there for overpriced, over complicated multi frames.

I predict the end of the $10,000 Multi ... and the $2000 ... and so on.

Cheers
Mar 04, 2014, 04:45 PM
<edited> can you post up a build to show cost and performance?
Mar 04, 2014, 06:09 PM
go ahead and try
Sure... First, I should say.. Rims are basically free.. so its not really fair challenge...

The flight performance of the rim, due to the single piece frame is something you have to try to fully appreciate. The single peice frame, and the mechanical separation to the flight controller amounts to a "locked in" feeling unlike any other multi.

In addition, the rim will be lighter, so your combo will perform better than ever before

SO, as the frame is basically free (as much as $40 new) a rimcopter will always be less expensive than any other frame.

The integrity of the circle , the strength and geometric purity of the frame... That is how I know that a rim will outperform any other Multi.

here is a video I like... of another pilots rimcopter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hMQkJqTYYq0

I invite anyone with an expensive name brand frame to try a rimcopter, and report their findings here.

It will weigh less, perform better, fly longer with more load...

Cheers
Last edited by simplyfly; Mar 04, 2014 at 06:20 PM.
Mar 04, 2014, 06:22 PM
go ahead and try
I should note that I have invited the big players to refute what I am asserting... so far there has been no response, except from Alishanmao, who will be trying a rimcopter very soon for himself.

We will see what he has to say about it soon I hope

Also, RC Model Reviews has been contacted, i hope our friend Bruce can weigh in on this topic, with his own version of the rimcopter.
Mar 04, 2014, 08:13 PM
I am sorry, I should no post here, but you are telling me, that carbon rims are free?

So if you want a challenge, I would say beat this:
(5 min 36 sec)

The frame is 1,5m of 12/10mm carbon tube (about 60€) some resin, and two small pieces (5cmx5cm of 1mm CFK so possibly 80€ overall. The frame is done for 18" props and weights 102gr. So how long you can fly with a rim?

best regards
Ferdinand
Mar 04, 2014, 08:35 PM
go ahead and try
length of flight time is one aspect of flight performance... can you lift 10Kg with that frame?

What happens when you have a small crash? does its stand up?

Can you replace it easily, and without delay, anywhere in the world?

Can you reconfigure it into a Hexa / Y6 / Octo in moments without any other modification or weight gain other than the power system?

So, that device has some uses... and yes, used carbon rims can be had for free... when they are no longer trust worthy for riding on.

A standard bike rim will weigh less than 500g, and have incredible strength along the flight axis.

I would like to see your 100g device in perform acrobatic maneuvers with 2kg of payload or more.

Take that same combo, put it on a rim... it may have a bit more weight, and a lot more use.
Cheers
Mar 04, 2014, 09:40 PM
go ahead and try
BTW 106minitues!!!! that is fantastic result!!!!

i think it is a record?

Congratulations!
Mar 04, 2014, 11:01 PM
in "normal" flight:
(3 min 20 sec)

as an X8:
(1 min 30 sec)

with Gimbal for Sony CX250:
(1 min 46 sec)

same concept, but bigger frame 22mm rods 200gr with 2kg payload:
(2 min 32 sec)

Another example for a frame
foldable and for 18" props costs <60€ 300gr (it is the medium sized one):

here with a load test:

but I see that this here is a "one and only" thread.

do not get me wrong, the idea of using rims for copter is great, but to claim that this is "the one and only" choice is just wrong, the world is so colorful and bright why all have to stay in the same darkness?

best regards
Ferdinand
Mar 05, 2014, 09:52 AM
go ahead and try
I hear you Ferdinand, and I think what you are doing is fantastic. I just have to point out that the circle is a sort of one and only kinda thing....

I will reiterate.. the effect of the rim's singular geometrically correct shape, in combination with the mechanical separation to the flight controller, adds up to a flight performance unlike any other multi, including the ones shown above.

Tubes and plates , especially when created in such a light weight configuration such as you have shared with us, could never perform as a rimcopter.

Ferdinand, try it and find out. I have had my fill of tube and plate... once you try the ring, you may feel the same way.

cheers
Mar 05, 2014, 10:01 AM
go ahead and try
Variations of the Rimcopter... just in case the ring was too boring
Mar 05, 2014, 10:15 AM
go ahead and try
I should mention... The crash resistance.

The last tube and plate I flew was the flyduspider, with 1/2" alloy box tube. It was very light, and fun to fly FPV. I had so much fun, i had to replace the arms to often. It seemed very wasteful of material and my time.

Rimcopter handles crashes with grace... if it breaks, you can have it repaired without difficulty or cost.

Most crashes result in no damage, and only require a quick adjustment. Just slide the motor on, clamp it down and fly.

The two craft pictured above have nylon pins designed to break well before component damage occurs... even the props.

Of course, it is not indestructible... Just less complicated
Mar 05, 2014, 01:41 PM
So "challenge" closed with simplyfly is right.

If the rigs you compare to are not rigid enough, you just took the wrong.

If your frame is "crash resistant" this is just another word for "too heavy".

All your arena again.

best regards
Ferdinand
Mar 05, 2014, 02:00 PM
I personally, for the purposes of multi rotor copters, don't agree that mounting everything on a circle is simply the most geometrically correct shape. For what? for a bicycle? absolutely. But you are adding a lot of material to bridge the gap between motors, yet the motors are still mounted in a square. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of the 2 main connection points with smaller additional connections. You see, you don't really remove any material with this design since you still need the centre "box" to mount the electronics on, and additional supports (albeit light ones) from the center box to the rim.

I might attribute your feeling of being more locked in as a result of your rather large motors and props (for the size of craft) being mounted directly to the majority of the mass of the copter. It's acting on a centre of gravity more inline with the motors mounting points. Or at least that's one way to look at it. Or you are hanging the majority of your electronics quite low and that pendulum weight helps in providing that stability.

I find that stability and locked in feelings to be more subjective than objective.

I think it's a neat design, I don't think it's the last word in design by a long shot. Even for the price.

I do like however like how the inside of the rim provides an excellent surface to mount LED's on. It's kinda cool.'

So I'll give you thumbs up on cool design. a certain crash resistance afforded by the structure of the rim, though this may not help your electronics on any level. It's a unique design, affordable and offers an interesting platform. However, simplicity does not the ultimate multi copter make.
Mar 05, 2014, 02:45 PM

Quick Reply