Mar 03, 2014, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Twin Engine Goliath based on Sketchup From Sumu Pirate

RCgroupers,

After finding these Sketchup pictures of the Goliath by Sumu Pirate, I had to build the plane. I PM's Sumu Pirate and he emailed the Sketchup file of the plane. He was great about responding and am looking forward to building plane. I have experience with multiengine cargo-twins, P-38, B-25 and currently have a massive 74" C-130 under construction.

original goliath

Goliath with flat bottom airfoil and optional Bombay

He has some great other plans for planes there also on his dream list.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1678784

The Goliath is a 56" ws plane. I will convert Sketchup to a flat plan and post asap. Planning to build with FFF or Dollar tree FB.

Intent for Goliath:
-option for two types of wing:
flat bottom airfoil- used in this build and found in pdf file(goliath wing option)
KFM3 as see in original design.
-large ailerons as flaps, bombay, different thrust, and elevator( 6 channels)
-2200mah 3 cell
-2822 1400kv with 8x3.8sf
-20A Speed control

Regards- Joe

---------------------------------------------------------

finalized plans- These include both wings and with the KFM3 wing there is a fairing on top of the wing that I did not include in this build but will be in plans.
Last edited by Lupine; Apr 04, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2014, 10:19 PM
Adventure is just bad planning
Great Start Joe...

Thanks for using my design. I am eager to see how it goes.

Subbed up...
Mar 04, 2014, 10:55 PM
Thread OP

version 1 plans

So far have version 1 plans. Will start building soon and modify plans if needed.

Shows modified interior to enable cargo.
goliath6v1pic.jpg

single 8.5 x 11 plan
Goliath6v1.1page.pdf

pdf tiled plans
Goliath6v1.pdf (24 pages letter size)

This is my first build thread so bear with my as I try to figure how the forum works.

Thanks- joe
Mar 10, 2014, 09:03 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage construction

Modifying plans as I go to make sure easy build. Here are the first steps to fuselage construction. Will post plan updates and pictures as I go. Notice mistake in one of the bulkheads. Do not cut slot in that piece. Once this step is finished will put on fuselage top and bottom then sides.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Next put top and bottom of fuselage on. Then attach sides of fuselage, but start with the middle straight parts and then do the curved parts. Notice the 1" x1" reinforcing pieces inside the fuselage which will be for dowels to hold the wing on.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Here are the plans so far including the redesigned wing which is easier to build and flies better. I will not post final plans in PDF form until plane is completed. That is because making changes as I go.

******The most recent plans in first posting
Last edited by Lupine; Mar 16, 2014 at 08:11 PM.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
Here are the pictures of the PDF's

*****Most recent plans in first posting
Last edited by Lupine; Mar 16, 2014 at 08:12 PM.
Mar 13, 2014, 07:56 AM
Model Designer

Excellent !

Sumu pirate,

I love your Goliath design !
I like a lot of your others, as well...

Lupine,

I love your build - and the clear photographs, images and files !
Fantastic !
I am going to be watching all of this with interest...

Keven.
Last edited by keven64; Mar 13, 2014 at 08:07 AM.
Mar 14, 2014, 05:02 AM
@Keven: Thanks for the nice words Keven. This is the only thing that drives me into designing, never knowing when I would be able to fly myself.

Thanks again.
Cheers.

@Joe: Nice building skills you got there. I will keep looking for the updates. Thanks.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Finish the fuselage by gluing and taping together the sides. Make sure it is square and true. If using foam board, remove inner side paper which enables bending much better. Also notice the tabs I hot glue in to help position the tops and sides.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:50 PM
Looks like the Goliath already.....

Counting for the maiden flight Mate... When's that gonna be...........?
Mar 14, 2014, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
I used part of a blackberry package we had from dinner for the windshield. It takes a little time to get it to sit correctly but looks nice. I then added horizontal and vertical stabilizers to fuselage. Notice I use single thickness foamboard for the horizontal stabilizer as this is plenty strong for a plane this size. Unfortunately the fuselage has a little twist to it which I had to correct. For hinges I use 3M micropore tape, it's better than packing tape that it does not loosen, will stick to itself and is paintable. I get mine free from work but all drug stores have it.
Mar 14, 2014, 05:12 PM
Thread OP

Wing construction

Two choices here:
1. Stick with original design, a KFM-3 airfoil- I will keep these in the plans but not use in this build.
2. Use folded foamboard airfoil. Strong and easy to build. These will be included as an additional PDF file.

Pictures show foam board cutout and marked. Paper is stripped off upper curved section of wing. Reenforce leading edge by putting some packing tape on it as in picture. Cut out strips used for main spar. Since I am using 1/4"x1/4" spruce as reenforcement. I will cut 2x 3/4" strips and one 1/2" strip to fill where the spruce will go. Next picture shows how this main spar fits together. Center the reenforcement spar in the main spar. My spar is 36" centered in a 60" wing so outside the spruce I only use 12" foam filler on each side. Make sure to pre bend foil on edge of table and flatten. Make sure top wing edge reaches to the 2" mark on bottom wing. Tape each half of bottom part of wing together with packing tape then glue whole spar to bottom of wing. After dry shape/cut top wing edge so that will lay flat at 2" mark of bottom wing.
Last edited by Lupine; Mar 14, 2014 at 05:20 PM.
Mar 14, 2014, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Hi Sumu Pirate,

Maiden might be awhile. I live in northern New Hampshire, and March is middle/late winter. Today it is 9F and have 2 1/2 feet of snow of the ground. Once we get some decent weather in about a month I will maiden. The Goliath is coming together well with very minor changes. The nose section looks great and I like the elevated tail. Great design! I'm taking my time with the build modifying the plans as I go. I'm getting much better at using Sketchup. Should be done within a few days.

Best Regards- Joe
Mar 14, 2014, 08:05 PM
Model Designer
Hello Joe,

I also use Micropore tape - with my flying depron creations.
For hinges - and also for covering the slot into which a carbon tube spar has been epoxied.

Another attribute of that type of tape: it will tear neatly - along its length.
My models are typically smaller than this one...
The EDF in my avatar was only 28" span - before I clipped the tips to force it to fly faster.

With tiny models, the Micropore would add quite some weight - but I can tear off two lengths of an inch-wide roll to hinge both ailerons, then rip each of them into 3 equal strips of ~8mm width...
...and so hinge three times as many control surfaces for the same weight.

Apply tape to top surface and add the moveable portion, positioning it so there is a 1/16" gap and fold over so the bottom tape can be added.
When the bottom tape contacts the top it GRABS - making a 'seal' around 1mm wide...
...and you then have a simple, lightweight and easily repairable hinge that is STRONG and airtight !

Keven.
Last edited by keven64; Mar 15, 2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Dorrectec hte ryping nad ragmmatical errots

Quick Reply