This thread is privately moderated by eMoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 03, 2014, 11:19 AM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Discussion

Remember When?

Maybe I started RC flight earlier than I realized circa 1980

Remember Kraft Radios? I used to watch my father fly (and crash) his trainers with this radio. I was too young to try, or so he said. Maybe it's because back then there wasn't a buddy box or RC simulators. Our usual trips to the local park would end up taking more time to pack the gear, unpack the gear, setup the plane and subsequently pick up the broken parts and dig the nitro engine out of the 12" crater left in the ground than we did flying. But in any event, I loved watching his planes fly for the two minutes they were in the air.

Fast Forward 30 years.... circa 2010

I took my kids to the local park where there is a sizable pond. There were some gentlemen in lawn chairs sailing some RC sailboats around a course. My kids were lost in time watching these boats for about an hour. Don't ask me how RC sailboats made my mind relate to airplanes but it did. That night I promptly found RCgroups and read....a lot.

My First Plane....
Well I dove right in and got myself a DX6i and a free simulator. I wound up playing with that for a while until I thought I could handle a real life plane. Since I grew up watching my father build, and rebuild, balsa planes it's all I knew about the hobby. So I purchased a LoLo and got to building. It was a glorious build and I couldn't have been happier with traditional building methods. Sadly, I did not think to take pictures during the build so all I have are these completed shots of the plane.

I had a lot of fun with this plane and it served me well. Until it's ultimate demise from the typical dumb thumbs. It was my first lesson in real life stall speed as I dropped a wing tip in too slow of a turn and she fell out of the sky. I have a spare air frame and maybe someday LoLo V2.0 will come about.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2014, 01:59 AM
Tree hopper
HA, great build, I see another one in the future. Are you going to use his radio just for this plane? It would be kinda neat.
Mar 06, 2014, 06:42 AM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Thanks gabe. No I don't have his radio actually. Wish I did though. But I updated my blog with what I did do for a radio a while ago...
Mar 12, 2014, 10:14 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Wow talk about going back in time. Your story is pretty much the same as mine. Though I still have both radios my old man used. Royal and Kraft sixes and of course his Andrews Aeromaster bipe.

Quick Reply