This thread is privately moderated by dmrcflyr2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 02, 2014, 03:58 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
Discussion

Saito FA-80GK runs for the first time

I fired up the 80GK I recieved last week as detailed below. Since I am never parting with this engine I figured I would begin the break-in processe. I have run 2 full tanks of Morgan's Omega 15% through it today. I used a MA 13x6 for the prop. Ordinarily I would run 10% but I needed to finish up this gallon that I purchased when 10% was not available.

I also used the header and muffler from the 91 I have instead of the one that came with the engine. I think I will purchase a new steel header, as the one that cames with this engine was AL. I am not sure how long Saito provided AL headers, but this is the first one I have ever seen and I have owned over 15 different Saito engines.

I set the needle valve to 2 full turns open from fully closed and ran the first half of the tank at 4000 RPM by adjusting the throttle. I shut it down after half a tank and let her cool down before the next run.

The videos are from the second tank. Initially it needed a few drops of fuel injected into the glow plug hole; it fired up immediately then.

Holy cow! I brought the engine in to cool and just now went back to touch it. Man it has a very high compression ratio! A 1993 vintage might be the original compression ratio of 15.5:1 as listed here http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...to%20FA-80.pdf
It is quite stout. What a beauty!

Last edited by dmrcflyr2; Mar 02, 2014 at 04:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply