Tamiya vintage 4WD Toyota Hilux - RC Groups
Mar 02, 2014, 04:59 AM
Help!

Tamiya vintage 4WD Toyota Hilux

Hi
I have, from my young time, kept my metallic vintage Tamiya 4WD 3 speed RC car.
It has been stored in a box since 25 years and I would love to make it working as my son is now in age to use it (and me to do it too ).
What I remember is that the big battery was not very powerful enough to ride for more than 10 minutes and that the 540 motor was not very efficient too.
I would like to know if I can switch the battery with a more powerful Li-Ion or Li-Po one? And of course, if yes, I would like also to switch the variation and the motor with a ESC and a Brushless motor...
But as I'm a kind of newbee in that kind of motor, I don't know what is doable and what is not.
In mind, here are my questions
- can I use a Li-Po battery in place of the NiMh one, just by plug it in?
- is there any exact size Brushless motor as the 540?
- if yes, I read about the KV value of the Brushless motors... But I'm a bit lost... What do I need?
- last, the ESC is needed only for the Brushless motor or also to manage the battery ?

Last.. Do you think my 25 years old remote control will be compatible with up to date receiver, ESC, etc...

Lots of questions, I know, but I'm back to RC after 25 years...

Thanks a lot

TBH
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2014, 05:02 AM
Another thing... As it will be for my kid, I'm not looking for a very fast motor... More power than speed... I'll set the gearbox to the 4WD speed (slowest one).
Thanks a lot
TBH
Mar 02, 2014, 01:13 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Good questions. Did you already check this thread? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1961030

Some of your questions are at least partially adressed there.

Quick Reply