Mar 18, 2004, 05:23 PM
Watch This !!!

Paint bleed under tape - How do you avoid

What's the best way you prevent the paint from bleeding under the tape when painting foam??

I'm using the blue painters tape for masking.

Ed
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2004, 09:11 PM
very light cotes at a 90degree angle
Mar 21, 2004, 10:43 AM
Be sure to burnish the edges down. I use an old prop to do this. Regards.
Mar 21, 2004, 09:17 PM
Hi there i use what is called an edge tape it is a plastic tape 1/4 wide the blue one will do a 3" circle you just press this down firmly then you can put your masking tape up to this it is known by many names ie:cut tape because as you remove the tape it cuts the edge not drag the edge and paint will not wash under, the tape i use is 3M, 471,vinyl tape blue hope this helps
Mar 22, 2004, 05:24 PM
David Cairns
I use the tape they sell for painting plastic models. Rather expensive, but it does give a sharp edge.
Mar 22, 2004, 06:29 PM
Watch This !!!

Bleeding

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Something else I learned is to put two thin coats of clear polycrylic on the tape line and then apply your color over that.

Remove the tape as soon as you're done painting. I used a small artists brush to apply the clear.

I've attached a pic of the finished product.

Once again, THANKS for all your help.

Ed
Apr 01, 2004, 09:07 AM
Mr Mootsie
what I do is tape the model, then hit the edge of the tape with the same color that is underneath it. Then I paint the color over that.
Apr 07, 2004, 11:49 PM
I do what Tim Jonas does. The best part is that it forgives many flaws with your masking job. I use some blue painter's masking tape from Home Depot or Walmart and some red vinyl stuff that I stocked up on from Tower Hobbies many years ago.

Brad
Apr 11, 2004, 07:15 AM
Super Senior Member
You can also just spray the masked (tape) area with light coats of Testors clear coat from a can which seals up the tape edges. Jim Ryan turned me onto this after I pesetered him into telling me how he was able to achieve such great clean lines.

Greg
Apr 11, 2004, 05:24 PM

Different types of blue painter's tape

FWIW - Be careful with the blue painters tape. There are TWO grades of adhesive. One is low/low-medium and the tape appears to be a smooth "paper". The other is a medium adhesive and the tape has a textured/mottled appearance. If you are taping/masking over recently painted areas use the low/low-medium or you will pull up the underlying paint.