New waterproof Quad Frame - STEALTH2O - Page 11 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 07, 2014, 04:53 PM
We should do a contest for the summer: who builds the best submersible 3-axis Gopro gimbal for his stealth2o

to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2014, 11:03 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Ok...gonna be starting this build either tonight or tomorrow...for those who have already assembled it, any tips or tricks...do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated.....
May 08, 2014, 11:59 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Double check everything and test fly it before you seal it....
May 08, 2014, 12:59 PM
as far as testing how well its sealed up...any tips on that? any way to verify that all holes and seams are sealed well enough??
May 08, 2014, 01:48 PM
I'd Rather Be Flying
I bathtub tested mine , but i have a rather large tub....
May 08, 2014, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmel08
I bathtub tested mine , but i have a rather large tub....
good idea...i have a pretty large tub myself...
May 08, 2014, 02:35 PM
UFO Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE
as far as testing how well its sealed up...any tips on that? any way to verify that all holes and seams are sealed well enough??
Once all the screws are tight, look underneath at the sealant that squeezed out and spread it evenly so there are no dry spots. It will be sealed then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmel08
Double check everything and test fly it before you seal it....
+1
May 08, 2014, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by painlesstom
Once all the screws are tight, look underneath at the sealant that squeezed out and spread it evenly so there are no dry spots. It will be sealed then.
Thanks...ok so here is another question...when putting the sealant on...i assume lay down a good healthy bead all along the perimeter where any part of the two halves will meet?

Sorry for the 20 questions game....ive never built a water proof quad so i want to make sure im doing it right...
May 08, 2014, 02:58 PM
UFO Pilot
Yes, making sure it is on both sides of each screw hole (let the bead run over the hole, not around it). I use a small paint brush to smooth what squeezed out the sides after tightening. Questions are good, you don't know until you ask, and that's what I'm here for.
May 08, 2014, 03:26 PM

If it don't ooze you loose!

That's an expression we use in the boat building business ,the excess oozing out means it will be sealed.Im still waiting for mine to arrive,but I think I will let the silicone ooze dry ,then razor blade the excess for a more finished edge.
May 08, 2014, 04:07 PM
UFO Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy
That's an expression we use in the boat building business ,the excess oozing out means it will be sealed.Im still waiting for mine to arrive,but I think I will let the silicone ooze dry ,then razor blade the excess for a more finished edge.
You could do that, but that is why the top half turns down around the edges, gives a nice finished look while allowing the excess to be smoothed out yet not visible. Also, any scoring of the ABS with a razor will weaken it.
Last edited by painlesstom; May 08, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
May 08, 2014, 06:11 PM
thanks for the advice guys...will probably pick up my sealants today after work...al my other components are at home ready to be installed....really the only thing i might have to pick up are some 2200 4s slims....all my batteries are a bit bigger...i have some 3300 4s compacts that will fit, but it will be tight once all the electronics go in.
May 09, 2014, 08:54 AM
UFO Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE
thanks for the advice guys...will probably pick up my sealants today after work...al my other components are at home ready to be installed....really the only thing i might have to pick up are some 2200 4s slims....all my batteries are a bit bigger...i have some 3300 4s compacts that will fit, but it will be tight once all the electronics go in.
I've heard of some people mounting the FC forward of CG without any ill effect, giving room for dual 4000mah compact 4s.

Anyone else mounted a FC offset and had good results?
May 09, 2014, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by painlesstom
I've heard of some people mounting the FC forward of CG without any ill effect, giving room for dual 4000mah compact 4s.

Anyone else mounted a FC offset and had good results?
Most FC's dont necessarily need to be right on CG as they will compensate. You may need to adjust the PIDs a bit depending on the FC you use, but you shouldnt see any issues.

I may try this with this build to give me more room for bigger batteries.
May 13, 2014, 03:20 PM
New Boy
Your item cleared customs in UNITED KINGDOM on May 13, 2014.

Not long now