Thread Tools
Sep 10, 2019, 07:03 AM
Registered User
Hi everyone....haven't been on this thread for a long time....
I am sure my questions have been answered before (SORRY!).

I still have my cx-20, haven't used it in ages....i believe it's the fat shark
can it be loaded with mission planner?

Any tips on how to upgrade it?haven't touched it in like 2 years.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2019, 07:21 AM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
Mission Planner is Ground Control software for Arducopter. Do you mean can you load Arducopter? If so then no, that flight controller runs closed source firmware. There is nothing really wrong with the Big Shark flight controller but if you want to be in the Arducopter system you would need to replace the flight controller. There are a lot of good choices. I still have a CX-20 that flies and if I was to replace the FC I would choose an F4 or F7 board. But these require a higher level of knowledge and a lot more soldering. The easiest replacement would probably be a Pixhawk 2.4.8.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1
Hi everyone....haven't been on this thread for a long time....
I am sure my questions have been answered before (SORRY!).

I still have my cx-20, haven't used it in ages....i believe it's the fat shark
can it be loaded with mission planner?

Any tips on how to upgrade it?haven't touched it in like 2 years.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:14 PM
CX20 internals F450 frame
sureshot__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1
Hi everyone....haven't been on this thread for a long time....
I am sure my questions have been answered before (SORRY!).

I still have my cx-20, haven't used it in ages....i believe it's the fat shark
can it be loaded with mission planner?

Any tips on how to upgrade it?haven't touched it in like 2 years.
BigShark has their own PC software.
I kept a copy downloaded 5 years ago.
The setup file is attached below..
CX 20, Bigshark version, FC to PC connect. (revised) (7 min 6 sec)
Last edited by sureshot__; Sep 10, 2019 at 07:39 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:55 PM
Registered User
SillyLittleBoy's Avatar

Thanks but still need help


Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
If you were performing the accelerometer calibration and the USB cable disconnected (assuming your were using USB and not telemetry) during the process you could have corrupted the firmware. This is one of the differences between the bastard APM flight controller in the CX-20 and a standard APM. That can't happen with a standard APM. You will probably have to re-flash the firmware to 3.2.1 and re-configure everything. This is pretty straight forward if you know your way around Mission Planner. I have found that the default PID parameters installed with the official version of Arducopter fly pretty well.
I used to know my way around MP and other things related to the CX-20, but I need some help with re-flashing the firmware to 3.2.1 and re-configuring everything. I tried loading in the default parameters, but that didn't work. Any step-by-step help for an old guy who has been out of things for a bit, would be super greatly appreciated.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:54 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
This guide is fairly comprehensive. Ignore the comment about V3.1.5 "preferred by many". I don't think that was ever true.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Nova-CX20-Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLittleBoy
I used to know my way around MP and other things related to the CX-20, but I need some help with re-flashing the firmware to 3.2.1 and re-configuring everything. I tried loading in the default parameters, but that didn't work. Any step-by-step help for an old guy who has been out of things for a bit, would be super greatly appreciated.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:39 PM
Registered User
I started flying my CX-20 again recently and crashed while trying some autonomous missions in mission planner. A prop managed to fly off during the mission. I took it apart to clean the mud,dirt etc out of the arm that went in like a lawn dart. When I was putting it back together I managed to accidentally plug the GPS back in 1 pin over from its correct location and pretty sure I fried it. GPS no longer works but it flys without the same as before.

My question is what GPS should I order to replace it with. The CX-20 seemed to be all over the place when trying to follow my simple waypoint flight. I was wondering if a better GPS might improve that performance. Thanks, Dan
Sep 17, 2019, 05:51 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
Buy any M8N module. Even the cheapest module will perform better than the stock unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav8or
I started flying my CX-20 again recently and crashed while trying some autonomous missions in mission planner. A prop managed to fly off during the mission. I took it apart to clean the mud,dirt etc out of the arm that went in like a lawn dart. When I was putting it back together I managed to accidentally plug the GPS back in 1 pin over from its correct location and pretty sure I fried it. GPS no longer works but it flys without the same as before.

My question is what GPS should I order to replace it with. The CX-20 seemed to be all over the place when trying to follow my simple waypoint flight. I was wondering if a better GPS might improve that performance. Thanks, Dan
Sep 18, 2019, 07:30 AM
When in doubt, buzz them...
pmshop's Avatar
Rats...didn't post here for some reason
Celebrating a milestone in combined flight time:
Sep 18, 2019, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Gps


Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
Buy any M8N module. Even the cheapest module will perform better than the stock unit.
Thanks for the help. I am hoping to experiment with the CX-20 and mission planner a little more before I start putting together a fixed wing with arduplane to experiment with mapping large areas.

Dan
Sep 28, 2019, 07:56 PM
CX20 internals F450 frame
sureshot__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav8or
Thanks for the help. I am hoping to experiment with the CX-20 and mission planner a little more before I start putting together a fixed wing with arduplane to experiment with mapping large areas.

Dan
The CX20 APM planned missions I flew were all at 150 ft or more AGL.
Flying low and avoiding obstacles is very risky.
The same Lat/Lon can be a slightly different position on the ground next month.
I have seen up to a 10 ft different location over time.
Oct 02, 2019, 09:45 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot__
The CX20 APM planned missions I flew were all at 150 ft or more AGL.
Flying low and avoiding obstacles is very risky.
The same Lat/Lon can be a slightly different position on the ground next month.
I have seen up to a 10 ft different location over time.
Spot on, GPS is not very accurate on elevation, the advertised accuracy for std GPS is 10 meters or 30 ft more or less, 30 ft altitude on low missions is kinda scary!!! The precision GPS systems are another ballgame, but again more accurate on physical on ground location then altitude, that said if the base unit is off a foot on altitude it remains constant cause its supplying the roving unit the corrected data ...DId anyone notice that UPS has been granted permission to drone deliver packages in the US ?https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/01/up...ivery-airline/

Seems the drones in use are flying the PH 2.1 cube, I dont know what color cube they are using though...


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Cheerson CX-20 Auto Pathfinder questions while it's on the way... Sunny_1 Multirotor Drone Talk 25 Mar 01, 2019 01:49 PM
Discussion Cheerson CX-20 Open-source Version Auto-Pathfinder Quadcopter RTF Kenxiaofei Multirotor Drone Talk 3 Dec 28, 2016 07:31 PM
For Sale Cheerson CX-20 GPS Auto Pathfinder RTF! SaltyPilot Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 7 Dec 13, 2015 09:08 PM
New Product RC under $200 Cheerson CX - 20 GPS Auto Pathfinder Open AddRc Beginner Multirotor Drones 0 Nov 11, 2015 09:31 AM
Link Cheerson CX-20 Open-source Version Auto-Pathfinder Quadcopter RTF Kenxiaofei Multirotor Drone Talk 1 Sep 28, 2015 10:28 AM