May 11, 2014, 01:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn
1st post here...
So I've been wanting to buy a DJI FC40, but got scared after reading of all the flyaway reports.
I know this quad is fairly new, so there are probably no reports of flyaways yet.
Since this quad apparently has a different flight controller board/software, are they also prone to flyaways?

Thanks
This might sound like a kick in the nuts for those who've had fly aways but here goes
IMO the vast majority of fly aways were pilot error, I've seen so many stories and seen several inc one of my own with my Spider quad/APM on board
My one I managed to manually fly back from 752m away (yes it was a tiny dot)
One of my friends launched his DJI Phantom high into the sky as he always seems to do, he still hasn't taken my advice to learn to fly, if he had he may have learned that trying to fly a 20mph quad in a 38mph wind was going to result in it flying backwards at 18mph regardless of RTH functions
Also GPS/RTH is a "maybe" failsafe, it relies entirely on having a solid GPS fix which you will not have 100% of the time, mine was caused by the video transmitter I fitted blocking out the GPS signal intermittently

The answer to avoiding fly aways is:
Learn to fly proficiently in manual mode, stay within visual range, not just a dot, you must be able to see the orientation of the quad

The controller on the CX-20 is an APM 2.5.2 you can research the reliability of that unit on Google
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2014, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude
This might sound like a kick in the nuts for those who've had fly aways but here goes
IMO the vast majority of fly aways were pilot error,

The answer to avoiding fly aways is:
Learn to fly proficiently in manual mode, stay within visual range, not just a dot, you must be able to see the orientation of the quad
In my opinion the fly aways are just a preprogrammed function at the factory, when you are a beginner flier and hit return home the quads are set to fly away back to China where Banggood is waiting to put them back for sale, how else do you explain the long wait for them to be available at their site?
May 11, 2014, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Hi erlim
It's not easy to tell exactly what you are doing in the video as there's no sound and we cannot see the TX

Switching on and Binding:
Make sure the switches on the TX are set to "0"
Plug the battery into the quad but don't close the hatch yet (the gyros are calibrating so you don't want to disturb it)
Immediately switch the TX on, keep the TX within about 1m of the quad when switching on

Arming:
Move the left stick to the bottom right position and hold it there until the lights on the quad stop fast flashing
On mine I have to do this twice, first time I get fast flashing then back to red light blinking, second time the red light goes constant on

Video it again, this time with the TX right next to the quad so we can see it and also with sound so we can hear the beeps

This thing is new to all of us so there are no experts on it here, new problems are just solutions waiting to be found, someone will figure it out or have had the same issue and solved it eventually
hi Dogdude, thanks very much for your instruction,i finally get to arm the motors, the key word is "until", guess i was impatient when i tried to arm/disarm the motor as i release the left stick after about 2 secs and that is not enough.

thanks again, i was able to fly and crash it, but luckily did not have major damage. Need to practice to fly so i can enjoy it.

keep up the good work!
May 11, 2014, 04:41 AM
By no means an "Expert"
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlim
hi Dogdude, thanks very much for your instruction

keep up the good work!
Amen to that !!
May 11, 2014, 05:26 AM
Thread OP
Heee heee
I've set mine up to communicate live with my new Android pad via radio telemetry now, just off to take some piccies for you, could really do with some flyable weather here, anyone got some they can send me

I have tested that I can create and save a waypoint mission to the CX-20 by sending the waypoints, clearing them on the Android then loading them back in from the CX-20, fingers crossed for the first live mission (that's all new to me too)
May 11, 2014, 05:57 AM
Plus Pilot

CX20 TIPs

One TIP: My CX20 came with a small CD. It is a DVD tutorial video. It shows the full summary from binding to flying 4 modes, how to calibrate before flying and arm - lock motors procedures, so my advise is to watch it and learn from it before fly high - far. I followed for maiden take off... Success.

Another TIP: the landing skid has 2 small semi- circle slots for setting the antenna wire, so be careful not to push antenna when assembling.

And one more: The battery goes into CX slot very tight, and it was a pain for pull it out ( danger not pull it from wires), my solution was to put around battery a piece of gift ribbon before pushing the battery inside, pull its extremes for easily extract out the battery.
Last edited by Jumanoc; May 11, 2014 at 06:10 AM.
May 11, 2014, 07:33 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc
OK, finally my CX20 arrived today (25 days from banggood).
Because Dougdude's tip, I opened CX shell and found in perfect site and fixed with double tape the FC. But guess what... the GPS unit was totally loose from board. It was inclined 45+ and with 3 double tape layhers Check pictures.

So I made an extension cable and mounted GPS unit inside the top container. Check pictures.

First short test flight was success. Rainy and windy here... tomorrow I'll do better tests.. As I announced, I have been flying during 15 months my Phantom v1, now I will compare side to side with CX20. I hope to find good tips and I will post my findings.

First good news: Phantom V2 9443 propellers fits perfect in CX20 motors-shafts. In phantoms 9443 props provide longer flight time (2-3 minutes), so I hope that performs the same in CX20

Check picts..
hey what wire u use to extend the antenna into the pod on top?? Nice work
May 11, 2014, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
NEW INFORMATION !
bluelightening has a far better tutorial on fitting telemetry on his blog here:
https://github.com/jlnaudin/x-VTOLdr...Quanum-NOVA%29

================================================== =================================
ORIGINAL POST by me:
A daunting task for my fading eyes, had to use maginfying glasses as well as the maginifier to see and still managed to do a crap soldering job, but it's solid and it works

TX (yellow) and RX (white) in place

Positive (red) and Ground (black) sorry forgot to photo them so have drawn them on for you

Cutouts for cables

Micro USB extension cable

Cable that came with the APM telemetry set, just soldering to the wires I have soldered on the boards

Quick test to make sure I got it right before properly soldering, tidying and reassembly

Stripping the outer sheath off of the USB ext cable as it's too stiff and too long, I don't want the vibrations from the case to travel down the cabe to the flight controller, it's now shorter, more flexible and has a single coil to absorb vibes

Cutout for USB socket end

Huge thanks to nokrc for identifying the TX/RX telemetry for us
Last edited by Dogdude; Jun 06, 2014 at 04:35 AM.
May 11, 2014, 11:48 AM
Plus Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel
hey what wire u use to extend the antenna into the pod on top?? Nice work
Simple servo cable. I used 4 cables and made extension. Because top cap is short with GPS inside then I joined with base using red electrical tape.
Last edited by Jumanoc; May 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM.
May 11, 2014, 03:26 PM
V911 - H107C HD - X5C - V666
Hi Dogdude

Sensational work on the telemetry, have now decided to abandon my fruitless wait for a X4 Pro to be released and I reckon I'll order one of these as soon as they come back into stock!

With the improvements to the GPS, added telemetry, controlable gimble this quad (especialy for only 200...) is now leeps and bounds ahead of anything else in this price range.

Good work Sir, keep it up!

Quote:
Heee heee
I've set mine up to communicate live with my new Android pad via radio telemetry now, just off to take some piccies for you, could really do with some flyable weather here, anyone got some they can send me

I have tested that I can create and save a waypoint mission to the CX-20 by sending the waypoints, clearing them on the Android then loading them back in from the CX-20, fingers crossed for the first live mission (that's all new to me too)
May 11, 2014, 03:35 PM
V911 - H107C HD - X5C - V666
Dogdude, could you post a link to the telemetary set you used? I saw this on Banggood but I'm not sure it's the right one...

http://www.banggood.com/3DR-Radio-Wi...-p-911052.html
May 11, 2014, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Here's a list of parts used with links

RCTimer 915mhz telemetry set $32.99
http://www.rctimer.com/product_817.html

Goodluckbuy 2 Axis Brushless Gimbal $69.99
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phant...otography.html

Anti Vibration Mount 11.95, also available from some Chinese suppliers
http://www.tecnic.co.uk/Anti-Vibrati...D-Systems.html

USB Micro Extension Cable to extend the USB port to the outer case
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=350823807097

USB OTG cable that came with the purchase of my Mobius camera, also available on Ebay, this converts the micro USB socket on an Android phone/tab to full size USB socket for the telemetry, just search Ebay for USB OTG

2 x Male to Male servo leads and 2 x 150mm servo extension leads

Sundry items such as double sided foam tape to build up the height of the flight controller, small flexible cables to solder to the PCP for telemetry TX/RX/GND/VCC +

Other bits bought to play around with
Mobius actiona Camera from www.joovuu.com (I bought the ultimae wide angle kit as I also ride off-road bikes and needed the waterproof housing)
GoPro 3+ Black edition on Ebay for 245
Oh and of course my Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab 8, not ever had a tab before, it's been quite a learning curve, yeah I know but I work from home so never had the need for mobile devices

Links:
Droidplanner http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...stable-release
Ardupilot http://diydrones.com/ though they don't provide direct support for non 3DR products there are some very knowledgable and helpfull people there
I'll add to this if I think of more
Last edited by Dogdude; May 12, 2014 at 05:18 AM.
May 11, 2014, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flacousa
In my opinion the fly aways are just a preprogrammed function at the factory, when you are a beginner flier and hit return home the quads are set to fly away back to China where Banggood is waiting to put them back for sale, how else do you explain the long wait for them to be available at their site?
LOL, I've often said the same myself
May 12, 2014, 08:15 AM
Don't panic!
Cheerson camera is now listed
http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX2...-p-926457.html

Description:
Brand: Cheerson
Item name: Camera 720P 5 Mega-pixel
Pixel: 5 mega
High speed 720P60fps
Camera: simplified version
Optional: MIC, boost
Output: no USB output
Key: manumotive
Function: remote control photograph, video.
Picture resolution: 25921944, JPEG
Video resolution: AVI, 720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 60 FPS
Maximum support TF card: 32GB (the data of pictures are stored in the TF card, one needs to use a card reader to read data. We recommend you to use above C4 TF card.)

Technical parameters:
Use welded FPC FFC, 5Mega CMOS sensor
High-speed dynamic video, instantly response to light and dark environments.
Ultra-low light sensitivity: 0.84 V/lux-sec
Camera lens: fixed focus
Standard: 88MM
Point of view: FULLHD 70 5
Voice frequency: built-in microphone
Intervalometer: center weight
White balance: automatic
Master control: IC
PCB size: 4318MM

Power supply and remote control signal input:
Starting up: power on the machine start automatically, if the light on red first, and off automatically after traffic lights flashing 6 times, this indicates not detected TF card or TF card is full.
Standby: a red light on long time
Input voltage: 3.7V~5.0V
Standby current: ≈165mA
Working current: ≈200~250
May 12, 2014, 08:59 AM
Plus Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimus
Interesting compare with Full HD cameras, lower prices, as Mobius and the iLOOK FPV included as these:

http://www.banggood.com/Mobius-Full-...r-p-90648.html

http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-FPV-...-p-916734.html

Quick Reply