Apr 27, 2014, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Part 2 of the gimbal mod added above

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=239
Last edited by Dogdude; Apr 27, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2014, 11:58 AM
Purchased mine from Monser63 on the forum...arrived yesterday in good order + fast shipping. I opened it up as advised by Dogdude and the flight controller was not fixed down, After making sure it was firmly secured everything seems to work well so its worth checking when these arrive...its not difficult

I've purchased a second one now for a friend

Now online shop at http://hobbyquad.com/
Last edited by prof_yaffel; Apr 27, 2014 at 04:43 PM.
Apr 27, 2014, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
My new Mobius cam on the brushless gimbal
The weather was very gusty which make the quad and gimbal work hard as well as flying a more sporty style to really test it
In calmer wind and flying there no jello

Cheerson CX-20 Autopathfinder with Gimbal and Mobius Camera (3 min 47 sec)
Apr 27, 2014, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude
My new Mobius cam on the brushless gimbal
The weather was very gusty which make the quad and gimbal work hard as well as flying a more sporty style to really test it
In calmer wind and flying there no jello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_hlyZVNQMg
Excellent! Nice pairing of the CX-20 and the Mobius, the gimbal makes all the difference from other Mobius videos I have seen.
Apr 27, 2014, 10:33 PM

Cheerson CX 20 FPV Capability

I bought mine off of RCG and it should be arriving this week. I would like to set it up as FPV and view it from an IPAD. Does anyone know how to integrate a tiltling gimble into the CX's reciever so I can contrl the tilt from one of the AUX knobs on the TX?

looking at getting this camera (does anyone know a wireless one with zoom)?

http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-FPV-...-p-916734.html

With this gimble

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phant...otography.html

Also does anyone know if it has a waypoint capabilty?

Thanks in advance!
Apr 27, 2014, 11:26 PM
Suspended Account
Did anyone tryed the APM mission planner on this quad? Maybe it shares the same FC as the New Walkera X350 Pro...
Apr 28, 2014, 12:50 AM

CX-20 internals

In case anyone is interested here are some pics of the flight controller boards and GPS board that I took apart.
Apr 28, 2014, 01:05 AM
Thread OP
Interesting monser
Itis clearly an APM 2.5.2

I wonder if it's possible to disable the on board compass and use an external combined GPS/Compass unit as that would eliminate the occasional "toilet bowl effect"
Apr 28, 2014, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
Here's another slower flying video with the brushless gimbal and Mobius camera

Cheerson CX-20 Auto Pathfinder Quadcopter Gimbal Bluebells Mobius Camera (2 min 50 sec)

Just like to add that none of these videos have any post stabilisation applied to them
Apr 28, 2014, 01:28 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Here's another slower flying video with the brushless gimbal and Mobius camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSkXZ5T34f8

Just like to add that none of these videos have any post stabilisation applied to them
Well done, the gimbal works perfectly, no jello.
Apr 28, 2014, 02:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgregory74
I bought mine off of RCG and it should be arriving this week. I would like to set it up as FPV and view it from an IPAD. Does anyone know how to integrate a tiltling gimble into the CX's reciever so I can contrl the tilt from one of the AUX knobs on the TX?

looking at getting this camera (does anyone know a wireless one with zoom)?

http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-FPV-...-p-916734.html

With this gimble

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phant...otography.html

Also does anyone know if it has a waypoint capabilty?

Thanks in advance!
Really ?
Makes me wonder why I bothered to spend two days solid creating, editing and uploading a tutorial
Apr 28, 2014, 02:45 AM
By no means an "Expert"
Quote:
Really ?
Makes me wonder why I bothered to spend two days solid creating, editing and uploading a tutorial
This usually comes from people with very narrow interests, and usually too lazy to either search for the answers to their questions, or read the forums.

I for one ..... among, I guess many, readers of this forum, appreciate the work you've done, and I hope you won't be put off by a few leechers.

Cheers
Apr 28, 2014, 03:05 AM
Thread OP
OK some observations
See above posts regarding FC not being stuck down !
Inside is a cut down APM 2.5.2 with onboard compass
Unfortunately this FC is mounted on top of the power distribution board, that means that when it's not in a god mood in position hold it can go into "toilet bowl effect" this is where the compass heading disagrees with the GPS location and the quad will swirl around in ever increasing and ever more violent circles
I have seen it get wildly out of control and have also seen it settle on it's own, either way this means that you need to have the skills to fly in manual mode in all orientations so you can switch to manual and rescue it
Trust me on this, if I didn't know how to fly back to front and inside out this quad would be toast by now
That said, it's early days and we may find a fix (isolate the compass from magnetic fields created by the other on board electrics)
Maybe we can create a platform in the top half of the shell for the flight controller in order to raise it up a little further from the rest or find out how to disable the on board compass and use an external one
Anyway right ow this is not a quad for total beginners who have not yet learned to fly RC

In manual mode it is great, very solid, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it flies even in strong winds (of course, it's later discovered that it is an APM 2.5.2), Return to Home is also great but remember it could go into TBE (toilet bowl effect)

Fitting a gimbal and controlling from the TX is easy

This could have been a really serious contender to all the others out there if only they did a couple of things slightly differently

Brittle legs - come on this was learned by manufacturers years ago
Seperate compass - This was also discovered quite some time ago
For the love of God teach the assembly people how to push down with their fingers to actually stick the FC down
Last edited by Dogdude; Apr 28, 2014 at 05:33 AM.
Apr 28, 2014, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontorbay
This usually comes from people with very narrow interests, and usually too lazy to either search for the answers to their questions, or read the forums.

I for one ..... among, I guess many, readers of this forum, appreciate the work you've done, and I hope you won't be put off by a few leechers.

Cheers
Plus one on that!! I am not interested in getting this quad but as a quad enthusiast have been following this thread with interest and when needed pop in with some advice!! I loved watching your tutorial Dogdude very well explained even though like I previously said I will not be getting this quad as I am quite happy with the 3 I have built so far and need to find more time to fly these than buy another quad and leave it sitting there with them!!! Keep it up and wish you all success in finding a solution to the compass/fc problem which is producing this unwanted TBE!
Apr 28, 2014, 05:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona
Plus one on that!! I am not interested in getting this quad but as a quad enthusiast have been following this thread with interest and when needed pop in with some advice!! I loved watching your tutorial Dogdude very well explained even though like I previously said I will not be getting this quad as I am quite happy with the 3 I have built so far and need to find more time to fly these than buy another quad and leave it sitting there with them!!! Keep it up and wish you all success in finding a solution to the compass/fc problem which is producing this unwanted TBE!
LOL kow what you mea, I ought mie o a whim
I have far too may myself

Oh yeah guess what letters o my keyoard o loger work

Quick Reply