Jan 25, 2015, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontorbay
Could someone please advise?
How is telemetry added to the Nova on Firmware 3.1.5?
Would it be via the pads on the APM board, as in original 3.1.2 Firmware or the resistor method as in 3.2 Firmware?
Thanks
If yoy are goung to do ut you may as well do it on the resistors .. at least you can upgrade then.
The new v5 board hadnt been tested yet as far as I know
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2015, 01:13 PM
Can anyone post a video of setting this up out of the box including mission planner. How easy is it?
Jan 25, 2015, 01:32 PM
GEARBEST.COM has this brand new for 285.00 free shipping last time I checked.
Jan 25, 2015, 01:46 PM
Here is my maiden flight video, some hairy moments, some of you should get a few chuckles. My wife recorded and my 3 yr old was there for moral support lol. I had to cut it down to a 3 min video bc my internet connection is really slow (wifi to the house, not wired) and it would have taken hours to upload.

CX 20 first flight and almost lost it! (3 min 49 sec)

• Does anyone have a jpg image of the flight options for the switches that is translated from the Engrish that is listed in the manual. I here words like loiter, position hold, altitude hold, etc.... and the manual is using different words for the generally used terms on this forum it seems.
  • My GPS lock is almost instant outside, takes about 30-40 sec inside.
  • I can't connect to my quad using APM 2.0 Planner on my mac-mini. Anyone have that issue? I don't have the battery installed at all, jut plug in to USB port, the quad lights up and start beeping. Open APM 2.0 Planner, and click connect, shows that it is connected but I don't think it is bc I don't see any data and if I try using terminal it keeps saying it is not connected or not found. Any help would be appreciated
Jan 25, 2015, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaclean
Here is my maiden flight video, some hairy moments, some of you should get a few chuckles. My wife recorded and my 3 yr old was there for moral support lol. I had to cut it down to a 3 min video bc my internet connection is really slow (wifi to the house, not wired) and it would have taken hours to upload.

http://youtu.be/-33lQ3vka6A
  • Does anyone have a jpg image of the flight options for the switches that is translated from the Engrish that is listed in the manual. I here words like loiter, position hold, altitude hold, etc.... and the manual is using different words for the generally used terms on this forum it seems.
  • My GPS lock is almost instant outside, takes about 30-40 sec inside.
  • I can't connect to my quad using APM 2.0 Planner on my mac-mini. Anyone have that issue? I don't have the battery installed at all, jut plug in to USB port, the quad lights up and start beeping. Open APM 2.0 Planner, and click connect, shows that it is connected but I don't think it is bc I don't see any data and if I try using terminal it keeps saying it is not connected or not found. Any help would be appreciated
Maiden flights are always scary.... I use Mission Planner and Windows...sorry, can't help you there. I believe this issue was discussed in earlier posts though.
Jan 25, 2015, 02:58 PM

Drifting

I had problems with drifting and it was slow going forward but alot faster backwards. I checked in missionplanner and the gyro was off by a few degrees. So I went outside and tried a "TRIM CALIBRATION MODE" which I shouldn't have!

I'm a newbie and when I took off and tried to keep it steady it started to drift, tried to compensate but it ended with an even worse calibration! Now it drifts even more and when I look in missionplanner the gyro is off even more!:-(

Is there a way to calibrate the gyro in missionplanner? As I'm not good enough at the "wheels" to do it outside without messing it up more!
Jan 25, 2015, 03:05 PM
By no means an "Expert"
Quote:
Originally Posted by modellermark
If yoy are goung to do ut you may as well do it on the resistors .. at least you can upgrade then.
The new v5 board hadnt been tested yet as far as I know

Much obliged m'lud.

If there were a GOOD reason to ugrade, then that's what I'll do.
But if the Telemetry mod works on 3.1.5 via the solder pads, I'd prefer to do that with a socket before upgrading the firmware.

Persuade me it's better to upgrade, and I'll be guided by you.

I have the original APM 252 v2.0

Cheers MM
Jan 25, 2015, 03:23 PM
I just picked one up from Gearbest.com. That was a pretty good price. Can't wait to join the club!
Jan 25, 2015, 03:26 PM
Gearbeast has realy a good Price so Bad that i paid Nest 100$ more ob bG 2 weeks ago and hat some Problems so i schippen back hk
Jan 25, 2015, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontorbay
Much obliged m'lud.

If there were a GOOD reason to ugrade, then that's what I'll do.
But if the Telemetry mod works on 3.1.5 via the solder pads, I'd prefer to do that with a socket before upgrading the firmware.

Persuade me it's better to upgrade, and I'll be guided by you.

I have the original APM 252 v2.0

Cheers MM
I am not 100% that it will work with 3.1.5 .. pretty sure that was what mine was at when I tried.
Anything other than stock firmware probably won't work but you could give it a try as it is an easy(er) solder job.
3.2 is supposed to be a good release and has position hold mode which is supposed to be nice.
Try it anyway but it may not work
I have always suspected that there are more traces than are obvious ... some who have soldered have had it work and I suspect it is because those are soldered to the other side of the board than you would solder wires (or maybe contacts both sides?)
This is probably wrong .. just a hunch.
Jan 25, 2015, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv8
I had problems with drifting and it was slow going forward but alot faster backwards. I checked in missionplanner and the gyro was off by a few degrees. So I went outside and tried a "TRIM CALIBRATION MODE" which I shouldn't have!

I'm a newbie and when I took off and tried to keep it steady it started to drift, tried to compensate but it ended with an even worse calibration! Now it drifts even more and when I look in missionplanner the gyro is off even more!:-(

Is there a way to calibrate the gyro in missionplanner? As I'm not good enough at the "wheels" to do it outside without messing it up more!
Connect to Mission Planner and perform the "Mandatory Hardware" calibrations. This will calibrate the compass, accelerometer and transmitter. The gyro calibrates when the battery in plugged into the quad. Make sure the quad is level when you plug the battery in and don't disturb it until the startup sounds stop. I don't do "autotrim". I did that once and I think that's what caused my fly away! Thank god for RTL.

If the gyro is still off...open up the quad and make sure the flight controller is not loose or any wires, etc are touching it causing vibrations.
Jan 25, 2015, 04:23 PM

Gimbal Screw

Hi there

I went to attach the GoPro to the Quanum Q-2D gimbal and one of the bracket fixing screws is missing. I unscrewed the remaining screw and removed the bracket and used electrical tape to hole the camera on.

The bracket was always fiddly and especially when outside I was worried about losing the screws, well, it's happened now!

Has anyone come up with an alternative easy on/off method of attaching the camera? Velcro / rubber band?
Jan 25, 2015, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch
I just picked one up from Gearbest.com. That was a pretty good price. Can't wait to join the club!
So are theya good place to buy from? Trustworthy, decent customer service, quick shipping etc?
Jan 25, 2015, 04:47 PM

Crash

Hey everyone. I've been away ice fishing for a few days so I have to get caught up on the thread. I test flew the Nova in a blizzard it flew great in the wind. After a few flights at the edge of visibility, I brought it back and attached my gopro. After a few fly by's of our fish hut it spun out of control and hit the ground from about 3 meters high.

It broke and arm which I could repair or replace (still deciding). I was able to figure out what happened using the logs and visual inspection. I saw in the logs where the Desired Roll and Desired Pitch split away from the Actual Roll and Actual Pitch. I figured this would be caused by an ESC, motor or prop failing. While testing the ESC's I found that a servo wire connection to an ESC broke.

Just one more thing to reinforce!!! The wire that broke was one of the long ones that had to run around to the back of the FC. It was probably vibrating quite a bit since it wasn't tied down. That constant vibration finally broke the last strand of wire. After I solder all of my servo wires again, I'm going to try a bit of silicone or hot glue to fasten the wire to the circuit board. I learned a good lesson about fastening loose wires.
Jan 25, 2015, 04:51 PM
Let the future tell the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by modellermark
I have always suspected that there are more traces than are obvious ... some who have soldered have had it work and I suspect it is because those are soldered to the other side of the board than you would solder wires (or maybe contacts both sides?)
This is probably wrong .. just a hunch.
For the v2.0 set ...

The upper PCB has a whole hidden level of traces in the middle (PCB layout doc exists).

The lower PCB (with the sockets) is just front/back I think (not really sure because we don't have a PCB layout doc for this PCB). This is simple voltage and wiring to the final connectors on this board ... so no need for an extra hidden layer anyway.
Last edited by Tesla1856; Jan 25, 2015 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply