Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 25, 2014, 10:03 PM
Build Log

Fokker Dr.1 Jtechlaser

I saw Qrome at BlueSkyRC build this kit sometime back that he designed and always wanted to build one myself. He was no longer selling the short kit but Jtechlaser was kind enough to cut the parts for my build. This is a great design and easy build. The laser cut parts are A+++ with quality balsa and accurate fit, very little charring. I will say Jim at Jtechlaser does excellent work with laser cutting and his attention to detail shows in the quality of his work. I am building the kit as designed with no modifications and will keep it simple. I am using wood glue and no CA, I have been having mild reactions to CA lately. I've been using CA off and on since the early 80's when we called it Hot Stuff so I am not surprised. I plan on using a Rimfire 400 brushless motor, Futaba radio and Monokote Covering.
The first night the kit came I started to work on the fuselage, took 15 min to build side one. I am building this bird on my faithful Great Planes Balsa building board to keep everything nice and straight. I soaked the bottom longeron in water since it has an obvious curve that I want to keep. I left the first side on the building board overnight and went to bed.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2014, 10:20 PM
The next day after work I began to work on the second fuselage side, stab rudder and wings. I take the fuselage side, turn it around and keep it under the wax paper. I then proceed to build the second side directly over the first, makes for an exact duplicate. The horizontal and vertical fin went together super fast with the interlocking balsa parts, once again excellent fit. I then began to work on the wings, yikes I have to build 3 I started by pinning the 2 spars of each wing to the plans and begin gluing the ribs in place. I then glue the L.E and T.E in place and all other parts as directed by the plans. I used hard 1/32 sheet for the top L.E sheeting on all the wings, first wetting and shaping the balsa sheet. I applied wood glue and hold the sheeting in place with weighted socks. While everything is drying, I sanded both sides of the fuselage and begin putting the fuselage together. I will be out of town tomorrow but should be able to finish the fuselage on Thursday. I really enjoy using wood glue, make for a clean looking balsa build.
Feb 26, 2014, 05:35 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Really cool! I will be building another one very soon as well. Nice build! Subscribed.
Mar 01, 2014, 07:57 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Thanks Scigs30 for the kind words. Your build is looking great. I look forward to your progress. I had started one a while back but I have to admit I am a builder but not a finisher. I like to frame up a model and sometimes thats where it ends for me. Seeing the DR1 is getting the bug going in me.

For reference, here is David Paynes build. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post11951168

Jim
Last edited by eliworm; Mar 05, 2014 at 06:30 PM.
Mar 02, 2014, 05:17 PM
Very cool! I am excited to see this one back up!
Mar 03, 2014, 08:29 PM
I have the fuselage all framed up, still working on getting the cabane wire struts just right, will post pictures later.
Mar 04, 2014, 09:25 PM
I have some more done, just been busy with work this last week. The fuselage is all framed up, went together real smooth and kept everything nice and straight. The plans don't show any type of structure on the front of the fuselage other than the landing mount. I added a sheet of 1/8th balsa behind the wing and will add a magnetic hatch in front of the wing for easy battery access. The cabane struts are bent per the plans pattern from .039 wire. The rear wire is bent so it clears the front former it is attached to. The balsa sheeting is made from 1/32 balsa except the cockpit and that is 1/16 sheet. I made patterns first with paper then transferred to the wood and cut out. Tonight I will glue the balsa sheeting in place and let dry overnight.
Mar 05, 2014, 09:33 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
The 1/32 sheeting appears nice and tidy, looks like it will glue up nicely.

Perfect adding the 1/8 sheeting to the bottom. I have been updating the plan and perhaps something should be mentioned in this area.

Jim
Mar 05, 2014, 05:45 PM
All the sheeting has dried and still needs a final sanding. Building with wood glue makes for a neat build, but one must be creative when waiting for the glue to dry and holding parts in place. Believe it or not the glue dries pretty quick, pretty much after I place the pins and tape, it is time to remove everything. For the bottom front of the fuselage I made a removable battery hatch that snaps in with magnets, I will do something similar for the bottom wing for access to the servos. Next is the front cowl, motor mount and landing gear.
Mar 08, 2014, 07:50 PM
So far the build is coming along great, everything is done and she is ready for some minor sanding/touch ups and out comes the covering. I mounted the Rimfire 400 Brushless motor directly to the firewall and added 2 degrees down and right thrust. The cowling is supposed to screw into the firewall, but it is impossible to access the screws so that had to be fixed. Adding magnets would work, but I added socket head cap screws with blind nuts on the firewall. I am able to access the screw with an L shaped allen wrench from the bottom of the cowl. If I wanted to I could just glue the cowling directly to the fuselage since I am able to access the screws to the Rimfire Motor. The landing gear went well, with a sub-wing that goes together smoothly. The landing gear wire was soldered and all was going well until I couldn't figure how to add the sub wing to the landing gear. It was like a Rubik's Cube and I thought I was going to have to make new landing gear. Instead I cut the landing gear wire that attaches to the fuselage and wing and was able to insert the sub wing. Now all I have to do is place the free floating wires into brass tubing and attach the brass tubing to the fuselage and bottom wing. I also added a hatch to the bottom of the bottom wing so I can have access to the fuselage servos when everything is covered and glued together. I added everything to the plane, electronics and all to see how smoothly everything goes together. As show assembled with Battery, Motor, ESC, Servos, pushrods and Rec. she weighs 18.1 oz. The wheels and fake radial motor are from tower hobbies.
Mar 08, 2014, 08:12 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
That looks great! The Dr.1 is on my perpetual to do list.

Looking forward to seeing your paint scheme.

Paul
Mar 08, 2014, 08:14 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Very nice, this is always my favorite state of the model. I love seeing them all framed up. Looks great.
Mar 08, 2014, 08:19 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Beautiful. Going to be a shame to cover it up.

Jim
Mar 10, 2014, 09:57 AM
Beautiful work! This is the stage where most of my models stall. Why cover such a beautiful work of art?