Thread OP

Huge Scale ME 262

Check out this beauty ....

http://worldwarwings.com/guy-makes-r...uve-ever-seen/
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2018, 09:29 PM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Thread OP
Calling all EDF Pilots. I have "discovered" Graphene batteries!

I have been flying my Freewing Yak 130 90mm for a few months now and have been powering it with a 6s 5000mah 70c Graphene battery from China Hobby Line (G+ series).
[COLOR="Blue"] Although the batteries I bought originally performed as I described them prior to this edit and they were an excellent value for the money, it has come to my attention that China Hobby Line has been labeling inferior batteries with a "graphene" (eg. G+) label and selling them as graphene. This practice is known as "bait and switch" and is illegal. [/COLOR] Due to their deceptive business practices, I will no longer buy from China Hobby Line.

I am retracting my statement (above) concerning China Hobby Line (CNHL) G+ (graphene) batteries. Further tests on the latest batch of 6s 5000mah 70C batteries has proven to be as good as the previous G+ batteries with this label. The newest batch of these batteries test just as well but, are surprisingly about 50 grams lighter. The lighter weight is what promoted the concern that they were not the same batteries and were being falsely labeled as such. I will continue to buy CNHL G+ batteries for my EDFs until someone develops a better "mouse trap".

I STRONGLY recommend you read this post on RC Groups regarding LIPO batteries and the increasingly ridiculous claims of very high "C" ratings. The man who has tested a majority of name brand batteries in the 6s 50000mah category for performance vs. mfg/retailer claim of quality and "C" rating explains it and presents DATA to back up his tests. Don't fall for the marketing claims of outrageous C ratings and waste your money on inferior batteries. Joes's tests tell the truth.

(ttps://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons/page478 ) POST 7161

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Jul 06, 2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Update - CNHL OK
Mar 27, 2018, 10:50 PM
Thread OP
I recently bought a 2nd hand Freewing T45 90mm EDF (like new) and am very excited about it. After reading the reviews and discussions on-line I decided I needed one. Fortunately for me, an opportunity to buy one at an excellent price presented itself and I jumped on it. I'm really looking forward to boring holes in the sky with this one. It's a great looking bird.
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Mar 27, 2018 at 10:56 PM.
Sep 17, 2018, 08:28 PM
I take it y'all fly turbines at the field? Just moved back to Texas and brought my 1/9 Su-7 and Su-11 to fly.
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Sep 19, 2018 at 12:11 AM.
Sep 19, 2018, 12:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by totenkopf
I take it y'all fly turbines at the field? Just moved back to Texas and brought my 1/9 Su-7 and Su-11 to fly.
Sure. We have 450 ft of dead flat and level concrete runway and if you can get up and down in that distance you'll enjoy flying with us.
As long as you have insurance through AMA and put your AMA card in the frequency board, you're welcome to fly. No membership required (we strongly encourage it) but, you're subject to AMA and Club rules when you fly at our field.

If the gate is open, come on in and join the fun. If the gate is locked, you can still fly but, you'll have to leave your vehicle at the parking area by the gate at the field entrance. One big advantage to being a member is your very own gate key.

We LOVE the grass at our field. When firing up your turbine, please be mindful of your hot exhaust and don't burn the grass please. Exhaust deflectors are installed and available for your use at each end of the field.

Garry
aka Rowdyjoe
Forum Moderator
Jun 10, 2019, 09:14 PM
Frank
Ok guys I made the jump and bought a Freewing Avanti 80mm jet. I bought the red one. Looking forward to getting her maiden soon. Have any of you got any pointers and tips I need to know about before that time arrives ? /
Thanks in advance
Frank Reed
Jun 20, 2019, 03:42 PM
Iím just an Associate member for now but will eventually be retiring in Granbury. I fly several turbines and EDFís and I can say the Avanti S Red is one of the best flying jets Iíve ever flown. It has a reasonably light wingloading and, with the flaps deployed, will float in for a smooth landing. The trailing linking landing gear smooths out the roughest of landings. All in all, youíre going to love flying it.
John S Johnson
Lubbock, TX
Jun 20, 2019, 06:35 PM
Frank

Avanti

That is just what I was wanting to hear. I learned to fly warbirds in Lubbock. Robert from wings and things taught me how to do it right. You'll have to come out to Thunderbirds and fly with us some time. Thanks for the info on the Avanti.
Frank
Jun 28, 2019, 12:22 PM
Thread OP

Attn: EDF Pilots - Battery Load Test Comparisons

If you fly electric, especially EDF, you'll find this thread VERY interesting and informative. If you've noticed the latest battery packs for our aviation vehicles touting ever higher "C" ratings and have wondered if they are true (they aren't), then this is the place to find the TRUTH about LIPO batteries.

Start at page 1. and read the summaries and data tables and you will be enlightened ...and you're wallet may have more money in it.

Enjoy.

RJ

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Jun 28, 2019 at 10:33 PM.
Jul 12, 2019, 03:18 PM
Thread OP

All "JET" Fly-in

I've just begun the planning process for holding a "Jet" rally/fest/bash/"over ?"/ etc. (name tbd) to be held at Ft. Worth Thunderbird field next year - 2020 (date tbd).
EDFs and Turbines welcome. Runway is smooth concretes 480ft long and 40ft wide. Electricity = 120v multi outlets at every support pole under the shelter. (Yes, we have turbines operate there all the time.)

I intend for this to be an AMA sanctioned event. Entry fee will be affordable and include lunch. Emphasis will be on actual flying and "hangar flying". If you are interested in attending and/or helping with this project, please respond via PM here or at the email listed below.
I can use all the help I can get.

Sincerely,
Garry
[email protected]
Member, Ft. Worth Thunderbirds RC, Inc.
AMA CD

http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Jul 12, 2019 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply