Feb 25, 2014, 01:57 AM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Thread OP
Discussion

Turbines and EDFs

This is the place to discuss the "HOT" stuff.

RJ
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2014, 01:58 AM
Thread OP

Jet Jam 2014

Courtesy of Kip Niles. Very good stuff.

Palm Springs Jet Jam 2014 (7 min 37 sec)
Nov 08, 2014, 07:51 PM
Thread OP

HSD Super Viper

These are available from a local DFW dealer for an excellent price. I'm buying one from EDF Hobbies (on-line but, local dealer)

Banana Hobby / HSD HOBBY Super Viper UNCUT Flight Demo & Review By:RCINFORMER (6 min 38 sec)

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Nov 08, 2014 at 07:57 PM.
Nov 09, 2014, 05:21 PM
Who has them locally
Nov 09, 2014, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
EDF Hobbies http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?route=common/home

I know the owner pretty well. He's an avid EDF pilot and lives in Grand Prairie. If you were at the electric fly a week ago Sat. you saw him and his planes. He also has an 85" wing span version of this plane that's also an EDF and flies excellent.

Garry
Nov 14, 2014, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Yeeeee Hawwww ! Just picked up my Super Viper from Elmer at EDF Hobbies (http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?route=common/home).
My batteries are on order and I'm working on a series connector for these power packs. I think I've found a very good battery for this bird. HK has 4s 6600mah 60C hardcase packs for a very nice price. They should extend my flight time over the 4s 5000mah shown in the video and 60C should give me some extra "punch" for speed.
I plan to give it a protective coating of Mod Podge to help preserve the foam airframe.
I should be ready for first flight in about a week. I'm really looking forward to flying this beauty.

RJ
Nov 30, 2014, 12:51 AM
Thread OP
First flights on the new Super Viper (105mm EDF jet) were on Monday, 11/24 and, other than ripping the gear out on the first two flights, it went very well. I did have some rough landings on the first two flights but, the gear coming out was a combination of my technique (ahem) and not enough glue holding them in. A quick field repair with CA and a bit of kicker replaced them nicely and they haven't come out since. As a testament to how strong the gear is, they are working as advertised on all subsequent flights. This bird is a real floater. It takes full flaps and good technique to bring it down in a reasonable distance. I'm glad we have plenty of runway.
This bird flys very well and has plenty of power although, I think there's more in it somewhere that I will have to be found. I put 3 flights on it on Monday and 4 more on it Wednesday. My new batteries are well conditioned now and I'm getting a solid 4 min. of flight with enough remaining for a missed approach or two. The batteries are coming down warm with about 3.7v per cell across both 4s packs.
This is a solid system and can recommend it to any intermediate pilot with EDF experience.

Garry
Dec 23, 2014, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
I now have 16 flights on the Super Viper and it is performing very well. My first pair of batteries are too heavy for optimum performance ....they weigh 3.5 lbs. I bought a 2nd pair that weigh 1 lb less and they really make a diffence. Having lots of fun with this bird and begining to explore the aerobatic envelope. It's a very maneuverable bird with potential beyond my current abilitiy.
Mar 28, 2015, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
Well, my Super Viper is history thanks to another stupid move on my part. It was fun while it lasted but, having lost 3 large EDFs in as many months, I think I'm done with them for a while. However, not flying them doesn't stop me from admiring them.
Last week I watched Elmer Harris, owner of EDF Hobbies in Grand Prairie, fly a Super Viper with a modified 12S system to a blistering 134 mph (via GPS logger). He has the HOT set-up for the SV now and it's amazing. The turbine guys have nothing on the Super Viper with this set-up. Size, speed, and affordability ....it's got them all beat.

Garry
May 06, 2015, 07:22 AM
scaleguy

how did you lose the vipre????

details...
May 06, 2015, 07:35 AM
scaleguy
Ordered and received the HK fiberglass Cougar It is gorgeous!!!! Will order a 90 mm fan from EDF Hobbies. Shipping was 79 dollars ouch!
Before starting to assemble that, I must finish rebuilding the F9F Panther that lost its foam nose. I had glued a substantial weight in the nose of the fuse and the fuse broke in half. Not too hard to repair. Learning how to mold foam, etc. Mfgr had opened up the front of the fuse to allow for the gear retract and battery compartment. Left little foam in front. We need to watch for things like this!!!

May go with fixed gear at first on cougar...

Have all the parts to build a 3rd ME262. May repaint it some weird color. the other 2 are stock green/gray. Why do I like this ship so much? they fly like a dream and easy to repair. Put one nose down near the lake with no damage. (another casualty of the Spectrum
DX7 before retiring to the DX9.
May 06, 2015, 11:45 PM
Thread OP
Ed,
I was temp. Blinded by the sun. Totally my fault.
Apr 08, 2016, 12:19 PM
scaleguy
finished the 3rd ME 262 with your fans you sold me. I now have 3 of them!!!

Still haven['t flown the F9F cougar. will try to meet up with tom B for a test flight before the warbird.

Joe Jopling and I have twin T28's. he took easy way out and bought the RTF. I made a mistake and bought the kit. Besides having to buy 9 servos, a motor and ESC, the instructions suck. they literally say "build it and have fun". Should finish mine this week. This is a great ARF, gear doors, great prop and spinner, Lights, retracts, 1400 mm.
It is basically an airflight/FMS, sold by Nitro.
There are 3 versions(white/orange, silver and gray.). sock motor is little weak. I bought a 580KV motor that came with the mount that fit the T28 mount. Motor is a Freewing 4258 from Motion RC .
Apr 08, 2016, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
3 ? Wow.
I have all o f the electrics from my last one and have been keeping my eye out for an airframe.

I saw Joes T28 yesterday at the field. It looks very nice. He installed a different receiver in it so he could use his Spektrum transmitter but, he discovered an issue with it. I don't know if he got it worked out. I didn't get to see it fly because I was busy breaking in a new engine and plane. He and Ken were working on it and I hope they got it fixed.
Jun 21, 2016, 07:33 AM
some kero burning last Sunday (Fathers day)

Father's Day at Thunderbird Field (9 min 46 sec)

Quick Reply