Feb 24, 2014, 07:03 AM
Slow builder
Thread OP
Discussion

Mountain Models Bubble Dancer short kit

Has anyone purchased the Bubble Dancer short kit from Mountain Models?
If so, how did you find the kit in terms of balsa weight & accuracy?

I'm seriously considering this build but need to weight the options.
* MM short kit is about $100 AUD landed. Easy & I assume accurate but no option to pick the wood density or inspect the wood before I purchase.
* I can cut my own ribs etc & can be picky about balsa selection but will take forever.& invariably less accurate than laser cut. Should be a bit cheaper.

I'm also interested in how people found the wing build, in particular building the Spar.
I've done a lot of balsa bashing over the years but never tackled anything like this. How hard did you find the spar build?

I'd appreciate any input from those who have already tackled this build or are in the process.
Thanks.

Al
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2014, 01:02 PM
volare est vivere
hi there from Toledo

I have purchased several short kits from MM over the last few years. The overall quality is quite good. I have replaced some ribs with lighter balsa but I am fussy. I weigh and mark every piece on a gram scale and distribute the ribs and other pieces for initial balance and strength considerations. Then I decide if any pieces need replacement.

There are several BD threads with very good info and links to other builds and sites which have excellent info, construction tooling, and techniques. By all means do the research first and then have fun learning and building and flying the BD. It is a thoroughbred, you'll like it.

Ciao -rjf
Feb 25, 2014, 07:56 PM
I am starting to build a Bubble Dancer now. I found the MM kit rib and web set to be very nicely done. I would recommend it.
Feb 26, 2014, 06:02 AM
Slow builder
Thread OP
Thanks guys.
I'm still not really sure which way to go. I'll give it some thought while I finish the current builds.
Regards.

Al
Feb 26, 2014, 03:29 PM
volare est vivere
HI there from Toledo

Laser cut rib sets make building quicker, more accurate, and less tedious. The products from MM are first rate.

ciao -rjf
Feb 26, 2014, 10:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
I've used Brian at Mountain Models for all my laser cutting. I've never had a single problem. He sells short kits of 2 of my designs...

Jack Womack
Feb 28, 2014, 02:08 PM

can't beat 'em

Hi,
Bought mine a few years back. Just now building the BD wing.
I really like the webs (vertical grain balsa between ribs) cuz the taper is pre cut as the ribs get smaller. The accuracy is over the top, the tiny curf of the laser is smaller than I knew was possible. I would not build a BD without this set.
Mar 02, 2014, 08:04 AM
+1 for Mountain Models short kits.
W
Mar 03, 2014, 05:06 AM
Slow builder
Thread OP
Thanks for the feedback.
I think I'll bite the bullet & order the parts in the next couple of weeks. Still concerned about my skills V the spar but I guess I'll work it out as I go.
Cheers.

Al
Mar 05, 2014, 01:15 PM
cq cq de kr4is
i built one a couple yrs ago, the spar was not as hard as it seems,,hardest part was all the wrapping of tow thread,,,also for tow thread hit up your local fiber optic guy and get scraps,
the thread is what gives the optic line its "pull" strenght...i folded my wing on a very hard winch launch/zoom. so its breakable.
Mar 07, 2014, 05:33 PM
Just a quick question .... what are you using for the fuselage, or where are you getting a fuse for the aircraft ? Not asking about the tail boom have found that in a few places

Dave
Mar 07, 2014, 05:56 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
I have a MM Houston Hawk short kit. Have not started building, but the quality of the cutting and the wood selection seems to be superb.
Mar 08, 2014, 08:20 AM
I've used Brian for several planes and have nothing but great feedback. This includes an Allegro, BD and my current Hawk build. I've never had a need to replace any of the wood.

Dion
Mar 08, 2014, 10:23 PM
Slow builder
Thread OP
Thanks all.
An order will go in this week.

Rcoeng, I'll be using one of the CLM Pro pod & booms.

Al
Mar 23, 2014, 08:36 AM
I got the MM short kit for the bubble dancer and loved. It not that hard ether just followed the instructions on the net all went fine

Quick Reply