This thread is privately moderated by CoolerByTheLake, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2014, 02:38 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
Thread OP
Discussion

K m p ..... F-18

Going to clean all the usless stuff out of here, I'll start with this post!
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 08, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2014, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
OK, I guess I'm done, I found one!!

Well not this one, but same thing!

Park Pilots F/A 18

Wing Span: 44" -- Addendum-- new cores for a 46"WS.
Length:= 65"

Won't get it untill 2nd week of March.

A few extras ---
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Sep 11, 2014 at 01:03 AM.
Feb 27, 2014, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
As I accumulate new info, I'll just put it here for safe keeping...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally Posted by ysolomon --He has a 1:10 scale Yellow F-18

Hi Mark,
Good to hear from you! This is one good looking F-18! Where did you get it? Also--I like the landing gear. Never saw it before on HK.
Be happy to help.

1. When the main strut is fully extended, it is 165mm from fuselage bottom to wheel bottom. When it is compressed, it is 120mm. The nose gear is 165mm (fuse bottom to bottom of wheel) when not compressed, and 145mm when compressed. Main wheel is 70mm in diameter and nose wheel is 55m. Let me know if you want me to measure anything else there.

2. Manual CG is 12.5" forward of the trailing edge of the wing at the root.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.
Best,
Yoram.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also PM'd keithtsr on his retracts used in the HET Composite F-18 build
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...urnigi+retract
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He told me they were RCLanders from Park RC Models
So I searched around for a Landers set, found these:
Sorry bad link..
Same as the Turnigy, just shot at better angles. So at least if the electric units fail, I should be able to put them on a nice set of air retract units. My preference over electric.

Should also mention, the wheels will need to be relaced--to small. HK says there 64mm-2.5"/50mm-2.0", Yorum's are 70mm/55mm, so for mains it's 2.75" , nose wheels-2.25".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of build threads about this F-18.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551569 EJF Big F(oamy)/A-18
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=f+18

A great on on the Y/a F-18 single-- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...aft+singl+f+18
and one of the Het- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...urnigi+retract

Lots of info, photos and new ideas to pick and choose from--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I consider this newer info, thought you migh like to take a look.. It is the F-18 JePe Fast Foam Instructions, which can/will apply here also. Until I get my kit I don't really know what needs to be done, but some great building tips in here.

http://www.jepejets.com/blog/?p=21
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 03, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Feb 27, 2014, 10:02 AM
Thread OP

Material List

I'll add later what I actually did end up buying
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 08, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
Feb 27, 2014, 12:57 PM
Mark,

I got your message regarding the measurements you need. I'll get them to you asap.

Cheers
Feb 27, 2014, 01:39 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Hey Mark, why all the glass fibre? Is it not strong enough as foam?
Feb 27, 2014, 01:47 PM
Thread OP

Parts List

Thought I'd best save this space.

I'll add later what I actually did end up buying
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 08, 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Feb 27, 2014, 02:19 PM
Thread OP
Clickety

Well, I don't think so. I think it was originally set-up as a pusher prop, not so much for EDF. Most of the ones I've seen as pushes only go about 4-5lb. Just a JF90/Het 1200Kv motor, ESC, retracts and 12s will weigh about 93oz/5.8 lb give or take. 8s or 10s would drop it down some. From what I know, the kit weighs about 23 or so oz. Now you have close to 7 lb. I'm thinking just with these off the cuff weights, AUW in the 9.5 to 10lb area? But just guessing.

I Just put the two different weights down for reference, I 'll know better when the time comes and how much it all weighs, I'm sure there will be some CF rods in some of it. Them again theres always the chance I could make removable wings too! All come down to oz and/or lbs.

But one way or the other, It's going to be glassed. Perhaps even some inside wher the bulkheads/formers mate with the fuse. One other thing I'm going to look into more than I did on the Scorpion, is full flying stabs.. Just one of the iconic features of the F-18, just like the landing gear. Two things you don't want to screw up any more than need be.
Some where in the EJF Big F(oamy)/A-18 thread ( link in post # 3) fly stabs were done.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 27, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
Feb 28, 2014, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Having done some checking, I have found not all F-18's are equal.

The F-18, A, C and E model (single seaters) taking there length /Wingspan gives you a "ratio" not to be confussed with a given scale.

Also took the Haoye, KMP and the JePe F-18's did the same L/WS = ratio. The closest match was between the Jepe and the F-18A, or the F-18C and Haoye F-18--closet to scale size by dimentions. I'm not a 100% scale freak, but while I build this, it would be nice to know which model/version of the full sized one is closet to the one I'm getting.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...01&postcount=7
In this post, Hans-Joachim goes on to say his F-18 is--
ws 116 cm/ 45.67 inc, lenght: 162 cm/ 63.78 inc...which would make it a Haoye, always though it was the KMP.
I always thought his and the ones John Morgan got where the same. So perhaps the one I'll be getting is the closest match to the F-18A...
Won't know for 2 more weeks. Damn!!
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 08, 2014 at 07:48 PM.
Mar 01, 2014, 01:31 AM
Mark,

I got your message. Work and family been busy. I'll get it before the weekend is done. On another note, I purchased mine from KMP.

John
Mar 03, 2014, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Just thought I'd post this here, so I don't have to go back and search my PM's Time to empty it again!! Starting to get a little " antcy " not knowing exactly what the dimensions of this plane really are!! Conflicting info:

From Kevin Cox," EJF Big F(oamy)/A-18 " build, I got this: One EJF sold some time back.

Quote:
The F/A-18 measurements are about 62.5" from nose to exhaust add in another ~2.5" if you measure from the nose to end of the horizontal stabs (true length). The wingspan is 43.5" without missile rails.
And from theduce, " KMP Parkpilots F-18" build

Wingspan-43 1/8"
Length-61 3/4"
Width where wing meets the fuse-10 1/2"
Dry weight bare foam-20.3ozs

He also provided some measurement on the wing, so I could get an idea of sq/in.

I Figured wing area, got 528.238 sq in. /3.66 sqft , I was hoping it was a bit more! .. ... If it's close, I can add up what I think I want for components, and see where it takes me. ..Various projected AUW

--8lb/128 oz = 34.90 oz sq/ft
--9 lb/144 oz = 39.34 oz sq/ft
-10lb/160 oz = 43.71 oz sq/ft.

Last year while figuring out the Scorpons W/L , I came across a couple of JTM's-- L-39 and a Viper Jet , who's wing loading was in the high 50 oz sq/ft, and that was with a JF on 8s.----- AUW about 11 lbs
While around 40 oz sq/ft isn't great, it's doable.

47" WS is 3.84 sqft= 553 sq/in new 6/23/14
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jun 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM.
Mar 03, 2014, 09:29 PM
Looks not bad for numbers. When I get everything into mine I'll do an all up weight and let you know where mine is at.

Cheers
Mar 03, 2014, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
I'm working on it. Utill I actually get it in hand and get exact measurements, this will do tell then. Estimated CG., just going to send ysolomon PM to see where the fan location is supposed to be..

Kind of using the Y/A single F-18 as a reference, that's 1/10th scale, and with the numbers you gave me, assuming that mine isn't different, it figures 1/10.837 scale.

This give a reasonable guess where the the fan mounts.
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...8-DSC_0377.jpg

Gear cut outs.
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...8-DSC_1277.jpg

In this one-- https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...2-IMG_1903.jpg you can see where the bottom access is. Again all this is speculation at this point, (need the kit ) I plan on glueing/sealing it up for the retracts cut outs. I'll cut one in the top instead for fan access,

Look at the link regarding fan access, it shows how Y/A cut out theres, a second one for batteries I believe, not sure?

Anyway, I'm going to go about building this just as if it was a Yellow kit. 100% glassed. CF where needed. It's going to be quite a kit bash!!
Mar 04, 2014, 03:31 AM
Another one on the way...
Well, in the Y/A build thread, you will see that people mounted it in different locations. Mine (the front of it) is about 7.5" behind where the LE of the wing meets the LEX, and about 23" from the exhaust end of the plane. However, what should dictate it is the CG, especially in a light plane like yours. It depends on where you want to (or can...) put the batteries, what batteries you will use, and what fan you will use. Those can determine a lot in what/where you can put it. It seems as if you have a lot of play with fan location, so I would start with battery location. Put the batteries in the middle of where they go. Try to put as much hardware on the plane where it should go, and then see where your fan will balance at the right CG. If you put the batteries in the middle of their possible location range, it will give you some balancing play later.
Mar 04, 2014, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
I know it's a little early on for a paint scheme, but high visability is tops on my list. Here's a couple that could do the trick.

NOTE Took off the 2 that wern't doing, well. and added more of the China Lake one.--
The colors are as follows:

Gull Gray - FS36440 (aircraft top)
Insignia White - FS17875 (aircraft bottom and control surfaces)
International Orange - FS12197
Gloss Black - FS17038
Flat Black - FS37038
Chris

And - http://www.callie-graphics.com/ ...Just got a E-mail from Callie on graphics, very prompt, and the price is right--$28.00 shipped.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 06, 2014 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply