Feb 21, 2014, 12:21 PM
Converting O2 to CO2
Thread OP
Discussion

Savox SH-0257MG / SH-0255MG vs. Hitec 65MG/HB/5065MG for 42"-48" 3D Flying

Putting together a 47" plane. Recommended servos are Hitec 65s. But I'm playing with the idea of going digital and maybe trying Savox.

Can someone with experience having both Savox digitals and Hitec analog & digital, give some feedback?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2014, 12:37 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Just make sure you go with metal gears.
Latest blog entry: Extreme Aviation Has A New Home
Feb 21, 2014, 01:15 PM
Ive had better luck with and prefer savox over the 65s. 55s on the tail and 57s on the wings. Im sure someone will tell you the opposite though.
Feb 21, 2014, 01:18 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
The 0255 is a great servo with tons of torque. I use that primarily on my 48" planes. I beat the hell out of them & they tend to wear out over time & get the jitters, but performance wise I love them. I haven't put the same kind of abuse on Hitec 65s only because I remember getting blowback in my earlier days(which prompted the switch to Savox), but one thing to note is that Hitec has great service(according to folks on here) whereas Savox wont repair them. Something to think about if you fly hard with big throws. On planes where I don't max out throws or fly aggressively, I haven't had any problems with the Savox. Overall I have a love/hate relationship with that servo, but even with the seemingly short life in my planes, I still think it's one of the better servos out there. I have yet to try any of the Airtronics servos in this size, which has been recently recommended to me & looks to have similar specs. Perhaps you should give those a look too, though they are a bit more expensive.

Like Doc said though, whichever you go with just make sure you get metal gears! Best of luck.
Feb 21, 2014, 09:58 PM
Converting O2 to CO2
Thread OP
It's first trip into the world of digitals. Besides making sure there's no binding, and an external BEC, any other issues I should watch out for?
Feb 22, 2014, 06:37 PM
Smokin out the pits!!!
I've switched to the Savox and havent looked back!! The hitec were fine but the savox just seem to be more precise and better holding power. I always had blowback with my hitec's that is a non issue with the Savox 0255!!
Feb 22, 2014, 06:43 PM
Addicted to 3DHS, EF and Flex
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLFIRE989
I've switched to the Savox and havent looked back!! The hitec were fine but the savox just seem to be more precise and better holding power. I always had blowback with my hitec's that is a non issue with the Savox 0255!!
+1, I like to use them all around on my 48'' birds.
Feb 22, 2014, 10:09 PM
I haven't used the 5065mg but i've used the 65mg and a couple other Hitec Servos 225mg, 5245mg. I've also used the Savox 0255 & 0257 along with some of the larger models. IMO there is no comparison, the Savox servos are much better! More torque seem to move faster and centering is excellent, they always impress me I can't say the same about most of the Hitecs I've used, they just seem a bit meh!
Feb 22, 2014, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352
I haven't used the 5065mg but i've used the 65mg and a couple other Hitec Servos 225mg, 5245mg. I've also used the Savox 0255 & 0257 along with some of the larger models. IMO there is no comparison, the Savox servos are much better! More torque seem to move faster and centering is excellent, they always impress me I can't say the same about most of the Hitecs I've used, they just seem a bit meh!
I will say that hitec CS is some of the best out there. And i have been blown away with the HS-7245Mh servos.
Feb 22, 2014, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict
I will say that hitec CS is some of the best out there. And i have been blown away with the HS-7245Mh servos.
Hitec USA service may be good, that doesn't mean it's the same elsewhere in the world. For the price they would want to be good!
Feb 22, 2014, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Hitec USA service may be good, that doesn't mean it's the same elsewhere in the world. For the price they would want to be good!
Did not see you were in australia. I think savox has them beat in every area but mini and micro servos. As they really do not offer any oin that size that can compete with hitec.
Feb 22, 2014, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Did not see you were in australia. I think savox has them beat in every area but mini and micro servos. As they really do not offer any oin that size that can compete with hitec.
The 0255 & 0257 are micro, they are definitely superior to the 65mg. Lots of others prefer them to the 5065mg, the 255 is a powerhouse and fast to boot.

But agreed on the Mini, the Savox 1250, is comparable to the 5245mg spec wise but they have nothing to match the 7245.
Feb 22, 2014, 11:17 PM
Quote:
The 0255 & 0257 are micro, they are definitely superior to the 65mg. Lots of others prefer them to the 5065mg, the 255 is a powerhouse and fast to boot.

But agreed on the Mini, the Savox 1250, is comparable to the 5245mg spec wise but they have nothing to match the 7245.
there are in the sub micro class. micro is the HS-85 size. i wish Savox would come out with some in that size range. The 0255 has the same specs but the gear train is too small.
Feb 22, 2014, 11:40 PM
Quote:
there are in the sub micro class. micro is the HS-85 size. i wish Savox would come out with some in that size range. The 0255 has the same specs but the gear train is too small.
Depends on who's standard you use, Savox and Futaba both refer to that size as Micro other brands Hitec, Spektrum call it sub-micro. The width for the micro/sub-micro is actually the same 11 to12mm so the gear sizing is likely to be similar, only the length varies by up to a 1/4". I'll take the 0255 over the Hs-82.
Feb 23, 2014, 10:06 AM
Got the Slickness
Quote:
The Savox 255's for the tail and 257's on the wings are superior to the 65mg's and the HiTec digis, as I have had all 3 at one point. The Savox just drop right in.

There is no comparison, Savox is the way to go in the size airframe.... period.

Quick Reply