Feb 21, 2014, 11:14 AM
go ahead and try
Discussion

Show Us Your Scratch Built RimCopter!

Hey guys... seems like there is a bunch of us out there building multi rotors with bike rims... AKA Rim Copters.

Show them off here !
Last edited by simplyfly; Sep 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2014, 09:53 AM
go ahead and try
come on now... don't be shy...
Feb 22, 2014, 10:22 AM
Nice work and very creative. Really like what you did with the tricopter.
Feb 22, 2014, 01:09 PM
go ahead and try
That Y6 is my favorite as well....
Feb 22, 2014, 02:30 PM
Well I got mine finished and maiden'd last night, and while everything was going well, it ended predictably today when I took it out in conditions that were clearly too windy (8mph). I got excited, you know how it is!

Here is the quad as it was last night, ready to fly. I had done a quick parking-lot maiden to get initial PI settings into the KK2.1 (using Steveis Beginner firmware I had to do very little tuning to get good initial flight). It is my first quad, but I was still able to move it up, down, forward and backwards, mostly in Self Level mode, but with a little playing around in regular mode. Nothing worth videoing, but clearly the limiter is my own skill right now, not the KK2.1 parameters.

The main powertrain:
11x4.7 Gemfan props
NTM 28-30S 800kV motors
Afro 20A ESC
KK2.1 w/ Steveis Beginner firmware
4000mAh Turnigy Nanotech

Hover was at about 60% of throttle, which is about what I expected from eCalc (wow!), and self level mode seemed to be doing its job. I used CPO's very helpful videos while doing my initial setup and it made things very smooth (thanks man!). It is worth noting that I'm at around 5000 ft elevation so our air pressure is a bit lower here.

All up weight is a whopping 1700g. Too much, clearly, though the motors and props can lift it without struggling. I'm now strongly considering going hex, or breaking it down and making an "Arc quad" like Simplyfly's above, which seems to be a better use of materials for a quad configuration. In a previous discussion about weight optimization and rimcopters, it seems like for a quad a rimcopter is a bit heavier than an "arm copter", but as you go to hex or octa you start seeing real weight savings.

On to the pics - last night, after the short maiden/tuning flight:

And after flying today. I wanted to take it out really badly, but knew it was too windy. Should have trusted my instincts. I made another bad choice by thinking "well, the wind will be less strong amongst these trees", which ended predictably. Initial flight was good, and held pretty stable in the wind. Caught a gust, overcorrected, and into the trees it went. Hit a tree pretty fast, then fell about 30 feet to the ground. I broke two motor mounts, all four props, and one zip-tie landing gear. I made spare motor mounts when I CNCd the first set, but sadly I lost one prop nut entirely so I'm not flying again until Mr. USPS comes with the replacements.

It is clear that the acrylic isn't a good choice. It was free and lying around my shop so I'm not really disappointed that I used it, but it is just too brittle, and a bit too heavy. That is the beauty of CNC though - I can cut the same parts out of anything. Time to find some G10, and rework the mounts to be a bit more sturdy. If there is one benefit to the acrylic it may be that it broke before the motors themselves - a quick feel test shows no damage to the motors themselves.

The experimentation continues, I'll post "version 2" as soon as it is ready for me to fly and subsequently crash.
Feb 23, 2014, 11:25 AM
go ahead and try
Nice !

l really like how you used the chain ring for the center plate, and the landing gear is brilliant.

I know there are more of these out there.... I have seen a very clever design coming out of Korea... here is a Video

RimCopter (0 min 10 sec)
Feb 25, 2014, 10:09 AM
go ahead and try
here is another... Built by Miko Wright
Feb 26, 2014, 04:01 PM
go ahead and try
the arc x...
Mar 01, 2014, 01:35 PM
Foamaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly
the arc x...
I really like the looks of that one!
Mar 01, 2014, 05:15 PM
go ahead and try
Thanks!

Just in the process of making it into x8... I'll post a pic in a bit.

8x 4215-11-650Kv
2x Skywalker 25A ESC
15x4 props

2x 4s 6000mAh 30c

AUW >5kg
Mar 10, 2014, 01:09 PM
Got a good weekend flight in, and wanted to share a few pics. The rimquad is flying well, especially as I crash less. The zip-tie motor mounting is proving the most durable method so far, and repairs easily in the field. Next enhancement will be to try 12x4.5 props, and transitioning to Pixhawk controller!

Current setup:
11x4.7 Gemfan props
4 x NTM 28-30S 800kV motors
4 x Afro 20A ESC
KK2.1 w/ Steveis Beginner firmware
4000mAh Turnigy Nanotech

All Up Weight is now 1600g, and I get about 10 minutes of lazy flight.

Flying over Manitou Springs:

Crash Evaluation - just props and a motor zip tie!

Launch Ready:
Mar 10, 2014, 09:15 PM
go ahead and try
Nice!

I started with zip ties... and I think you are right, its a good way to go.

I had a crash last week due to a loose pillar screw... because of temperature change...

interesting camera mount position.
Mar 14, 2014, 03:59 PM
go ahead and try
Had some time to make some improvements. Tightened up the rig, strapped everything down.

This ARC x4 is flying really nice tested today in 30Km gusts... 18 minute flight on 4s 5200mAh 40c with 15x5 Carbon Props
Mar 14, 2014, 09:41 PM
go ahead and try
A little pre view of the Y6 Tricopter...

LD Power - 3510 630Kv
Rctimer 30A OPTO SK ESC
15x5 CF Props

Frame / motors/ electronics : AUW = 1.6Kg

Flying weight, with 4s 6000mAh 30C = 5Kg

Estimated flight : 30min - 50min

Max Payload of 7Kg
Last edited by simplyfly; Mar 14, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:15 PM
Trying to understand something
Is a new one or is the first crow?

Jo

Quick Reply