Feb 20, 2014, 04:29 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Thread OP
Discussion

New Great Planes Curtis P-6E Hawk

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNDZYB&P=G

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1164.html

Not a lot of info or pics on this beauty yet as its release date is so far out.... May time frame. But its straight to the top of the list for me. I wish it was a 40-60 size but I'll take what I can get.

Besides, It'll look awsome sitting next to my EFlite PT-17.

Maybe we can get parkflierplastics to make some upper landing gear fairings to dress it up a bit.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jul 11, 2014 at 03:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2014, 07:36 PM
Hi Mike, it does look nice. I already have it on back order at Tower. I have the 120 size Hawk so I had to have this one too!! I started the thread in the Park flyers, but this is probably the more appropriate place. Hope it gets more replies here.About the gear legs, that was my first reaction also, needs dressing up.
Feb 28, 2014, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
Hello Handyman,

I see they posted a new pic on Tower's page. Looks like they revised the langing gear legs. Looks much better now.

I used to have a 1.20 as well but someone stole it. I always meant to get another one but of course, Tower discontinued the plane. This smaller one will feed the need for now.

Mike
Feb 28, 2014, 07:45 PM
Mike, that stinks that your Hawk was stolen. The updated picture looks better. The LG legs did not look right before. Every now and then the 120 size will pop up for sale on the RC classified sites.There is one now on RCU if you're interested. Looks like we're the only ones interested in this plane. LOL
Last edited by handyman 220; Mar 04, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
Mar 03, 2014, 05:22 PM
Pro Hoarder
I have the 120 size NIB fore sale
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 16, 2014, 01:57 PM
Damn Few
Still available?
Mar 18, 2014, 06:51 PM
The Manual for the EP Hawk is up on the manufacturers web site. June is still 3 months away, it's going to be a long wait........
Mar 19, 2014, 12:50 PM
Thread OP
Hey Handyman,
I just flipped through the online manual. Looks like a typical ARF build. Nothing too difficult. I might use Goop on the landing gear parts instead of epoxy though. I find it sticks much better to metal and painted surfaces. It also dries a slight bit flexible instead of crusty hard so it wont be brittle and break off during a hard landing. Just need to test it with the plastic first to be sure it wont affect it.

There are lots of new pics on the Great Planes page. This is getting exciting. Its still pretty new and a long way off from arriving so I'm sure once the due date gets closer and more print ad material makes the rounds, more people will be interested.

I would like to get a 1.20 size but where I'm at now I have ZERO room for it. I've pretty much resigned myself to building one from plans when I'm ready for something that size. Hopefully before I pass, my dream is to build the Hostetler giant scale version. I pull out the plans and drool over them every now and then.

Mike
Mar 19, 2014, 06:50 PM
Hey Mike
I checked out the build also. Like you said looks like typical ARF assembly. I have also used clear silicone for gluing parts as it is also very flexible. I hear you on the storage problem. I have no place to put another built plane without selling one or two. I have a royal Hawk that I bought off RCGroup almost ready to cover. Just have to find the time to tackle it. The new pics look real nice!!!!

Paul
Last edited by handyman 220; Mar 19, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
May 28, 2014, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Hey Paul,

Looks like the release date has been pushed back a little to early July.

But, there is a video posted now!

Mike
Jun 08, 2014, 02:43 PM
Hey Mike I noticed that too. I have the Citabria on BO also. That's do late July also. Hope I get lucky and they push that one out a little. I need a little time between the boxes showing up.
Jul 08, 2014, 06:44 PM
Hey Mike, just received notice from Tower that the Hawk is in stock. They wanted to know if I still wanted it?? LOL Are you kidding me!! Ship it!!!
Jul 09, 2014, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Hello Paul,

Roger that!!! Ordered!!! Should be here next week.

I was also going to buy the Rimfire motor but I decided to get servos as well as what I have in inventory probably wouldn't be up to the task. I've had good luck with those Solar servos from HobbyPartz so when I went to buy the servos and some extension leads, I took a look at what they have for motors. So I decided to buy the Tacon 32 they had. Was only $35 and the specs are similar and I see guys using them all the time in the builds I read so..... We'll see. I ordered a 25gr digital metal gear servo for the rudder and three regular 23gr digitals for everything else.

Is the big brown toy carrier here yet!!!

Mike
Jul 12, 2014, 12:14 PM
Unregistered User
Cant wait for a flight report. Gonna have to live vicariously for a while.
Jul 14, 2014, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Hello Paul,

Roger that!!! Ordered!!! Should be here next week.

I was also going to buy the Rimfire motor but I decided to get servos as well as what I have in inventory probably wouldn't be up to the task. I've had good luck with those Solar servos from HobbyPartz so when I went to buy the servos and some extension leads, I took a look at what they have for motors. So I decided to buy the Tacon 32 they had. Was only $35 and the specs are similar and I see guys using them all the time in the builds I read so..... We'll see. I ordered a 25gr digital metal gear servo for the rudder and three regular 23gr digitals for everything else.

Is the big brown toy carrier here yet!!!

Mike
Mike I ordered the Rimfire and the recommended esc from Tower months ago. I have some new Futaba servos from another project that should be up to the task. We'll have to see if this thread gets more traffic now that the Hawk is in stock.

Quick Reply