Feb 24, 2014, 02:59 PM
Pat, please put me on your pre-order list for a C-130A kit.
Tony and Pat, for me it was 8th ARMY sat/com [32D20] in 1971. on Samiesuan B-52 base in the south. the "Buffs" flew every 16 mins with a KC-135 headed for NAM to drop there eggs. bad time for all. thanks for covering my 6 back there! airboss don
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2014, 06:05 PM
WOW!!! I might just have to get one...
Feb 24, 2014, 09:29 PM
Hi Pat, thanks for the message, it's so nice to hear from designers directly! I am very excited about this, I have been waiting for a appropriately scaled electric C-130 variant for years! You have my attention!
Feb 24, 2014, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwrr5
Hi Pat! It was nice to chat with you at watts up a couple of weeks ago!
Sign me up for a herk as well! (C130 avionics type myself)
CWRR5, I had a ball in Tucson, and with the smaller turnout I was able to make the rounds and talk to just about everyone there. And REALLY enjoyed flying the 3 ship formations with Chuck and Mike with the 60" Jenny's. The 60" J-3 formation flying with Chuck was great too.

Overal the fly-in was terrific and am already looking forward to next year's gathering. Thing is, after flying in perfect weather conditions at Thanksgiving, then again in February, I hope we haven't used up our fair weather pass for good/ ? ? ? ? ?

PAT
Feb 24, 2014, 09:52 PM
T-37 IP,T-38 IP,F-111 AC
Subscribed. Gotta have one...
Never got a chance to fly/ride in a C-130. Got to crawl all over an AC-130 when they stopped off at Cannon AFB when I Chief of Flying Safety there. They were flying from Florida to California with no doors and the ramp down the whole way, low level, too. They said that's what they were most comfortable with! I flew F-111Ds out of Cannon. We flew Red Flag sorties from home station because we had the range to do that. The only aircraft I ever saw at Red Flag that I looked DOWN to see was a C or AC-130. We were going too fast for me to get a good look at it, but it and its shadow weren't too far apart. And no, they weren't landing or taking off at the time - they were scooting across the desert like the rest of us!!!
Feb 24, 2014, 10:02 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
The 130's were/are one helluva airplane. Probably why they're still around! They are not however my favorite airplane to ride in as a passenger. The typical low altitude flight does not generally lead to a smooth ride and the side-mounted canvas/nylon fabric seats aren't exactly first class accommodations. Utilitarian transportation where its needed most. And then converted to what amounts to an airborne destroyer!!

Tony
Feb 24, 2014, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure what your plan is with this one, but looking at your rear former structure I am thinking you are planning a hinged rear ramp/door? That would make this perfect. I feel it really needs to be able to do a crate drop for effect. Am I just greedy?
Mar 08, 2014, 09:00 PM
Hey Pat, just checking to see if there has been progress, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat!

Mar 10, 2014, 09:33 AM
Thread OP
I have actually made some good progress. The fuselage frame is completed except for a few stringers so's not to eliminate access to the inside, and the tail section components are all buttoned up. Work began on the wings last week also. Will post up the pics as soon as they're processed.

PAT
Mar 10, 2014, 09:41 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for the update!
Mar 13, 2014, 05:39 PM
Thread OP

Moving Forward on the Fuselage

Had to wait on the wood order to get back in motion on the fuselage, but the wood's here now, and am back to it. The stringers are all in on the tail section, and all but a qyrter of them are in forward. I'll leave that part open for easy access untill all of the internal components are in place.
Mar 13, 2014, 05:44 PM
Thread OP

Building the Vertical Fin and Rudder

Due to its airfoil section, the vertical tail assembly is built free standing rather then over the plans . Turns out it's not a big deal ass things pretty sell tab together. The leading edge and dorsal fin top are assembled over the plans, then aligned and glued in place after the main fina assembly is together. The rudder is built seperately in the same fashion. Once done, the shaping sanding and hinging were done.
Mar 13, 2014, 05:52 PM
Thread OP

Building the Horizontal Stabilizer

The horizontal stabilizer builds basically the same as the vertical tail. After tabbing the main assembly together, the leading edge and tips are glued in place. The elevator assemblies are done next, then sanded to shape and hinged.

The stabilizers plug into the fuselage and each elevator will run via its own push rod. Once in place, the inner elevator fairings were rough shaped and glued in place and then the final sanding done.

Meanwhile, because the stabs plug in, the option for the builder will be to leave the stabs removable should it be necessary for transport. If not, they can be glued in place permanently.

Construction on the wings is already underway, so will post up progress there as things progress.

PAT
Mar 13, 2014, 06:26 PM
Nice work. Nice plane. don
Mar 13, 2014, 08:57 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Pat,
Thank you for another beautiful design and an advanced tutorial on how scale flying aircraft should be designed and built.
Robert

Quick Reply