Feb 17, 2014, 03:40 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
Build Log

Trailer Build Log

Well, here goes. I got tired of moving planes in, and out of my truck. And, I got tired of storing them in my house, not to mention they're getting bigger. So, I bought a used flat bed trailer (that needed a lot of work). My intent was to clean it up, and enclose it. I don't have any photo's of it anymore, but after putting on new wheel hubs, new wheels, new lights, new chains, sanding it down to the metal, priming, painting, undercoating and welding some new metal pieces on it (all just to get it back to its original condition)...I COMPLETELY got burned out and lost interest.

So I sold it, and bought this enclosed 5' X 8' V-nose trailer. It's made by South Georgia Cargo, and not bad for the budget minded person. It's got a side door, a drop door, one vent on each side and a single overhead light.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2014, 03:49 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
Most of the people who know me, know I am detail oriented. So if I seem like I go way overboard on this build, bare with me...it's just the way I like things done.

The first thing I dis was make a rack for my paper towels, glass cleaner and all purpose de-greaser. I made it out of a 2X8 white board from Lowe's, a 1" dowel from Lowes, a small dowel and a pin from a local hardware store. I cut the side pieces, bottom shelf, and front board. Then I cut the holes on the side pieces, to fi the 1" dowel. The dowel has a small dowel glued into it on one side and a hole for the pin on the other. I sanded everything. Then I glued it together with Gorilla Glue. As the glue began to dry, I took the clamps off, drilled pilot holes for the screws and ran some wood screws into all the joints (yep missed my detail oriented nature, and just eye balled this process). I polyurethaned it, 4 times sanding between each coat. I screwed the hole thing to the door, with 4 small L shape brackets.
Feb 17, 2014, 03:52 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
I decided to paint the inside, because I want the wood protected. Decided I wanted blue and white checkers. So I bought a gallon of Amorseal Tread Plex from Sherwin Williams. It's $48.00 a gallon, it is supposed to be excellent commercial grade floor paint, that can also be used for marine applications. Here's the first coat.
Last edited by KenSue; Feb 17, 2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Correct the store name, wrong one listed eariler.
Feb 17, 2014, 03:53 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
Here's the second coat.
Feb 17, 2014, 03:55 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
And, finally the third coat wasn't showing too much wood behind it.
Feb 17, 2014, 03:56 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
I laid down pencil lines for the blue checkers.
Feb 17, 2014, 03:57 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
Then I taped off half of the blue checkers. I used green frog tape. Excellent stuff!
Feb 17, 2014, 04:04 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
Painted half of the checkers, with you guessed it Armorseal Tread Plex. I had Sherwin Willimas tint the paint a color named Hyper Blue, and add something called Envirotone (it's supposed to make the blue pop, I think).

I also painted a strip of wood that runs around the trailer, at about 2/3rds of the way up the wall, and a 12" strip on the drop door (the part that folds out, just to try to match the wall a little).

Oh, forgot to mention earlier, the checkers were supposed to 12" checkers but ended up being 11.5"...started in the middle. The ones that aren't painted, but have blue blobs are so I wouldn't paint the wrong ones later (wait til you see that part).
Feb 17, 2014, 04:08 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
I shifted the lines, and painted the other blue checkers. Yep...right in front of the door I painted one blue that was supposed to be white....oops!
Feb 17, 2014, 04:10 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
I wasn't crazy about the blue (it was a little lighter than I wanted), after the first coat. So I decided to tape off the upper stripe, all the white checkers and a strip at the bottom (just to clean it up, I knew this was going to be done at the end) to try and hit with one swoop.
Feb 17, 2014, 04:12 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
Then my 11 year old daughter decided she wanted to paint with daddy, so I cut up some cardboard (from a plane box, of course) and covered all of the white squares. She had a good time.
Feb 17, 2014, 04:14 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
Now the blue is a little darker, and I'm happy with it. So, that part is done.
Feb 17, 2014, 04:17 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
Now for the drop door. I first thought I would continue the squares all the way to the end of the drop door, but then it seemed like too much checkers top me. I decided to use some anti slip tape (which was really redundant, because I put Shark Grip...non skid from Sherwin Williams...in the paint), mainly to just break up an almost white door. Here's where I laid down some guide lines for the tape.
Feb 17, 2014, 04:21 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
I bought the anti slip tape from Lowe's. They're 6"X24", and about $5.00 a strip. here I just used some masking tape to hold them down, so I could see if they lined up using my marks. They are spaced evenly at 2 1/4".
Feb 17, 2014, 04:22 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Thread OP
And here they are installed.

Quick Reply