Mar 16, 2004, 03:29 PM
How do I land this thing?
Thread OP

Hobby Lobby-Dornier 328 Jet Ducted Fan--Don't Do It!

After flying this plane about ten flights I've come to the conclusion that it is nearly impossible to land it without damage to the nacelles. I'm not talking mean one point landings hear but the type of landings that woundnt ding a GWS warbird without the undercarrage. The nacells need major beefing up. The usual packing tape over foam isn't enough. The foam is really brittle and just seems to snap where the tape ends. It's preety much all covered now so we shall see....

After that rant, I will say that the plane flyes pretty well. The fans pump out enough thrust that launching and flying are pretty easy.

One last rant: The wing is also brittle. After the first flight with no more than a few really gentle dives into low speed passes the wing began to show a stress crease/crack at the end of the spar. I wouldn't think of looping this thing.

If this thing wasn't a Christmas gift, and knowing what I know now I'd have returned it, bought a GWS islander, and pocketed the extra $40 the Dornier cost.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply