Feb 18, 2014, 07:19 PM
So if both images go over a traditional image broadcast, does that mean each eye only sees half the frame rate? Do you even perceive this latency in your eyes and mind?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2014, 08:07 PM
these are better than any CMOS cam i have used, and the image quality is better than the emr labs camera. i have one of them, or had, until it stopped working. these are just a bit higher resolution then the old emr labs camera.
i am using a headplay system with them, and it is just gorgeous. i love to just look through the display, it's much better than the evg920 goggles. i started out with that same display and the emr labs 3d camera.
Feb 18, 2014, 08:15 PM
the blackbird however is easier to mount on any aircraft than the emr labs camera.
they do still use the rolling shutter system of all CMOS cameras, but all the 3D cameras i have seen are this way, so the lines you get looking at a spinning prop are always going to be an issue. but if you don't have to view a spinning prop. this image is actually better than my TBS 69 cam and handles lighting changes just as good, the only thing i use the TBS cam for is night flying.
and no the cinimizer won't work with this camera. side by side 3D uses more bandwidth and will require a transmitter that can keep up, most likely a digital one.
the new fatsharks are going to be side by side also, it is apparently harder to digitally record field sequential video, than side by side. i still think fatshark is going to come out with there own camera.
the really good thing about field sequential 3D, it that you can use a regular video signal to transmit it, then the display at the receiving end decodes the image for you. so it will work with all the regular video equipment we use in FPV already.
Feb 18, 2014, 11:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Out of curiousity, is there a technical reason for choosing cmos over ccd?
My personal experience has ccd with a generally better quality image...
Please excuse my electronics ignorance
CMOS sensor is compact and fully integrated device. CCD is more complex and has huge external components.
Feb 18, 2014, 11:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
Will this camera work with Zeiss Cinemizer Plus?

I think that the Cinemizers work with "side by side format"
They support this mode, but only for HDMI 1080p:
http://cinemizer.zeiss.com/content/d...pported_format
Feb 19, 2014, 02:18 AM
@ SirRexAlot,
you will see no latency issues in the video and it runs at a normal frame rate.
what is field sequential 3D video
NTSC/PAL video is formed by an interlaced series of fields (named Odd and Even). In the NTSC format, these fields are displayed to you every 16.66 milliseconds (roughly 60 fields per second), in PAL every 20 milliseconds (50 fields per second). Two fields form a frame.

Frames are displayed every 33 milliseconds in the NTSC format (in PAL every 40 milliseconds), in a succession of Odd/Even fields. Hence a TV displays at 30 FRAMES per second (or fps), or 60 fields per second (Please be kind, all of this was developed with 1940's technology). Your brain merges the succession of images, making them into a fluid video stream.

Since each video image comprises two fields, this is a way to transmit stereo video without doubling the bandwidth required (useful so that you can use the same transmission line as a mono system).

Field sequential video is created when a video multiplexer (either built into the 3D-Video-Camera, but usually an extra piece of equipment) at the capture end injects the Odd field with the information for one eye (say from the left sensor), and the Even field with the information for the other eye (say the right sensor). At the display end, the display proceeds to separate the information for each eye.
Field-sequential only applies in the case of an interlaced picture. Two (at least it's normally two) fields make up a frame. So, if you transmit both fields for the left perspective, followed by both fields for the right perspective, you get frame sequential. If you transmit only one field of the left perspective followed by one field of the right perspective, you get field sequential.
Feb 19, 2014, 06:20 AM
trypilot, I forgot that the castAR has a feature which does make it useful for FPV.

It has a clip on adaptor that turns them into a set of normal stereo goggles with 720p resolution. The adaptor reflects the projections back to your eyes instead of the hi-vis screen.
Feb 19, 2014, 10:20 AM
Hi Egor,

I have been making 3d videos and still photos for a number of years and since getting a phantom a couple of months ago have been keen to use 3d fpv. My plan was to use a pair of transmitters and cameras, but your camera seems to be a great idea, especially as I already have a fpv tx/rx on the way. I particularly like the fact that the IA distance can be changed easily as I prefer my 3d to be slighty hyperstereo.

I don't particularly want to get goggles at the moment, but wondered whether the output from the rx would be able to be adapted to the USB in of my 3d laptop for viewing on the passive screen using Stereoscopic Player or through Stereoscopic multiplexer.

I would order the Blackbird camera immediately if I could view the output using my existing 3d facilities, rather than having to also buy a pair of goggles.

Roger
Feb 19, 2014, 11:15 AM
Are there any samples of video taken with the Blackbird before I jump in?

Roger
Feb 19, 2014, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Hi Egor,

I have been making 3d videos and still photos for a number of years and since getting a phantom a couple of months ago have been keen to use 3d fpv. My plan was to use a pair of transmitters and cameras, but your camera seems to be a great idea, especially as I already have a fpv tx/rx on the way. I particularly like the fact that the IA distance can be changed easily as I prefer my 3d to be slighty hyperstereo.

I don't particularly want to get goggles at the moment, but wondered whether the output from the rx would be able to be adapted to the USB in of my 3d laptop for viewing on the passive screen using Stereoscopic Player or through Stereoscopic multiplexer.

I would order the Blackbird camera immediately if I could view the output using my existing 3d facilities, rather than having to also buy a pair of goggles.

Roger
Without problems, a link to a tutorial - how to record videos with The BlackBird - http://fpv3dcam.ru/index.php/en/support

Buy camera can be here - http://rcenergy.ru/en/product/3d-fpv...rnaja-ptashka/
Feb 19, 2014, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Are there any samples of video taken with the Blackbird before I jump in?

Roger
Video handled in anaglyph for viewing on a standard monitor, was shot in the evening in the dim room lighting
http://yadi.sk/d/cAZdirrgGpMkX
Feb 19, 2014, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trypilot View Post
and no the cinimizer won't work with this camera. side by side 3D uses more bandwidth and will require a transmitter that can keep up, most likely a digital one.
the new fatsharks are going to be side by side also, it is apparently harder to digitally record field sequential video, than side by side. i still think fatshark is going to come out with there own camera.
the really good thing about field sequential 3D, it that you can use a regular video signal to transmit it, then the display at the receiving end decodes the image for you. so it will work with all the regular video equipment we use in FPV already.
I would not agree on this. The squeezed side-by-side video signal does consume exactly the same bandwidth like a monoscopic video signal or a field-sequential video signal. You can transmit it with a standard analog FPV video transmitter, a dedicated digital transmitter is not necessary. However it would improve the signal quality at the price of latency and missing graceful degradation of the video reception.

Effectively field-sequential and side-by-side are orthogonal to each other. With field-sequential you loose halve of the vertical resolution and with side-by-side you loose halve of the horizontal resolution. This 50% loss of information is the ticket to use a single video transmit channel for actually two different video signals.

If you still are sceptic about it please check my NerdCam3D discussion here on RCG.
Feb 19, 2014, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egor_fpv3dcam View Post
Without problems, a link to a tutorial - how to record videos with The BlackBird - http://fpv3dcam.ru/index.php/en/support
http://rcenergy.ru/en/product/3d-fpv...rnaja-ptashka/
Thanks Egor, but that doesn't quite answer my question. I wanted to know whether the live video output from my standard fpv rx can be monitored directly in real time on my 3d laptop for flying, rather than with goggles.

I also can't access your anaglyph video, is it possible to upload it to youtube or vimeo?

Many thanks,

Roger
Feb 19, 2014, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks Egor, but that doesn't quite answer my question. I wanted to know whether the live video output from my standard fpv rx can be monitored directly in real time on my 3d laptop for flying, rather than with goggles.

I also can't access your anaglyph video, is it possible to upload it to youtube or vimeo?

Many thanks,

Roger
Two options - if Your notebook supports the mode field sequential 3D, then Yes, if not then you can apply filters, red and blue and use the common anaglyph glasses, then 3D will be on any screen.

YouTube compresses video and spoils his quality
3D камеры для FPV систем (1 min 10 sec)

What is the problem arises in You when downloading video from our server?

P.S. Video handled in anaglyph for viewing on a standard monitor, was shot in the evening in the dim room lighting
Feb 19, 2014, 05:40 PM
Hi Egor,

Are there any plans to have a selective output (side-by-side and field-sequential) with a switch like KritzelKratzel is planning?

Quick Reply