Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by springer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 13, 2014, 08:42 PM
treefinder
springer's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Onesheet #14 Rollason Beta


I first saw this plane as a stick and tissue model plan in Model Aviation. Looked cute and I liked the bent wing shape, thought it would be a nice challenge to build that wing. Of course have to try and fit it onto a single sheet of foam (MPF this time). I built the model in Sketchup, and having the templates, got them laser cut. Man, it is really nice to be working with straight lines and smooth curves I didn't have to painfully create! Build went well, and I got her all ready to fly (made the mistake of paint first, my bad!) and had a fairly good first flight, but all subsequent ones resulted in some catastrophic failure, usually associated with tip stall or loss of orientation and subsequent spiral into ground. Very frustrating! Broke fuse in half several times, finally trashed the entire nose. Many tweaks, including changing thrust angle reducing wing incidence, adding more washout by heating and warping the wing (that was fun!). But the one single thing that made this gal work was increasing size of the horizontal tail! The original tail empennage was right off the threeview and just too small to maintain control. I added an inch to chord and 2 inches to span. Bam! now she flys just as predictable as one could ask, and I think the tail looks more "right" than when to scale. Oh, yeah, I swapped out the 40gram 1200kv motor for a 60 gram 1050 motor which really helps keep the speed up on landing.

The only thing I am still working out is getting a paint scheme that helps orientation. The current white top dark bottom and full dark wing is very confusing when she's several hundred feet out flying straight and level. I crashed yesterday into snow (fortunately) because I forgot what my fingers had just done and made them do something that gave my eyes a confusing signal, correct, no, wrong, no right, no!!!! Fortunately she survived the crash without damage. I may have to strip the wing bottom and paint it white. Will definitely add some color/shapes to the tail and fuselage top, though. Here's the thread:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=beta I am currently going through the templates and adding the revisions to see if I can still get them all on a single sheet. I'll post them when I finish.

You can see in the video, that I swapped out wheels for skis so I can fly behind the barn!
(1 min 26 sec)
Last edited by springer; Mar 02, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion OneSheeter #14: Rollason Beta springer Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 76 Apr 01, 2014 10:22 PM