Feb 13, 2014, 06:53 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

1mm carbon fiber plate vs 1.5mm g10

Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone here has experience building the main plates of the multirotors (quad, hexa octo) with 1mm carbon fiber plate?

I only have experience with 1.5mm FR4 or G10 so I was wondering how do they compare. I keep on hearing that CF is much stiffer than G10 and it can be used in thinner layers.

For me 1.5mm FR4 worked great for main plates but would like to build a light quad and use the 1mm plate.

This is what I am building:

Any thoughts?

Daniel
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2014, 07:27 AM
Lighter and stiffer, but blocks radio signals, so keep that in mind.
Feb 13, 2014, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
Hi AleG,

I know about radio signals but I got that covered. The question is the 1mm lighter and stiffer than 1.5 G10?
Feb 13, 2014, 10:34 AM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
You need to study "second-moment-area" and neutral axis' of plates and beams.

I made the mistake of making solid plates of GF and CF, and there both flimsy, till you make them too thick. They gain stiffness slower than they gain strength.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpetrescu
Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone here has experience building the main plates of the multirotors (quad, hexa octo) with 1mm carbon fiber plate?

I only have experience with 1.5mm FR4 or G10 so I was wondering how do they compare. I keep on hearing that CF is much stiffer than G10 and it can be used in thinner layers.

For me 1.5mm FR4 worked great for main plates but would like to build a light quad and use the 1mm plate.

This is what I am building:

Any thoughts?

Daniel
Nice design! Did you go ahead and build it? I'd love to see some pics
Sep 24, 2014, 06:56 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpetrescu
Hi AleG,

I know about radio signals but I got that covered. The question is the 1mm lighter and stiffer than 1.5 G10?
I have cut and used 2mm carbon fiber for a mini and 2.93mm G10 for a hex, and can say comparing those 2, they are comparable in stiffness. However G10 will give a bit in a crash. It's also easier to cut and drill. But G10 is also about 40% heavier per unit volume.

Quick Reply