This thread is privately moderated by JeffMac, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 10, 2014, 08:11 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP
Gallery

Dick Korda DIAMOND gas model electric r/c conversion

Hi Everyone -

Another project that was on hold for a couple years is my 1938-9 Korda DIAMOND electric r/c conversion. I began this one in 2009. Well, time to resume the build....

My model is built from plans drawn by the man who had Mr. Korda's original 1939 model in his hands for reference ! This plan is available from SAM plan service. 2-14-14 I added the picture of Mr.Korda and the original Diamond..
The original used a Brown Junior B .60 spark ignition engine to send the 55" span model to the clouds...
I have added pics 2-25/26-14 - the pylon is on the way...3-8-14 - the sheeting is on the pylon , awaiting finish sanding etc.... phew. 3-15-14 - the pylon is built and has some internal bracing... put thin ply " hardpoints" inside for carbon rod dowels for wing rubber bands...3-19-14 - Nearly ready to add the wing mount platform to the the pylon and fill in imperfections then move on... 3-22-14 wing mount platform is installed

4-4-14 - pylon is complete - working on battery mount and servo tray position... A 1939 newspaper photo copy was added today.... 4-20-14 the motor picture is added - great planes rimfire, and pics of the fuse nose assembly were added today...
5-28-14 more pics are added... long way to go yet... 5-31-14 covering the fuse with doculam then thermalspan has begun... pics added 6-1-14
6-15-14- added pics of fuselage covered and painted but not finished yet...
After several experiments I tried Yellow India Ink which blended well with the waterbase nelson clear - it gave a nice color which looks like dyed silkspan or the old original micafilm. I'm happy !

10-7-14 : Well, I ran out of my nelson clear

10-11-14 I've contacted the owner with success now. I want to keep this build moving and some nelson clear is already on the covering before I realized that WAS my last bottle....

11-25-14 New pics of the basic plane assembled with two servos and all painted.... 15.5 Ounces so far.

VITALS : 55" span, Thermalspan and nelson clear ( yellow) tint and blue outline trim paint, spektrum 2.4 ghz equipment. Park 480 size rimfire outrunner motor on 2 or 3 LIPO cells. All balsa built from the plan from SAM plan service. All flying fin, elevator on one side of the stab only. Wheels will be wood similar to the original....
weight should be 32 ounces or so....
Best Regards,
Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Nov 25, 2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: / add pic / add detail
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2014, 07:55 PM
Thread OP

Pylon - Korda Diamond

Hi Everyone - 3-2-14

Been working on the pylon sheeting here this weekend...... One side went on fine, the other side I've torn off twice because of cracks and mis-alignments in the sheeting.

I just put on a 1/32 sheet pylon side - it seems to be working.. Then I have to add ANOTHER 1/32 layer over this one....

3-8-14 : it worked ! the pylon is sheeted.

Next time I will change the contour to bend more naturally with the wood grain... 1/32 plywood is an option to consider also...

The fuse will be covered in doculam then my thermalspan.

I'm going to test mixing some red nelson paint into the clear to find the right " level " of red....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Mar 09, 2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: additional
Mar 15, 2014, 02:23 PM
Thread OP

slow progress 3-15-14

Hi Everyone-

the pylon sheeting has been completed.. the wing mount contour is finished sanded to shape. Plywood " hardpoints" have been added internally for the carbon dowels for wing rubber bands....

Jeff
Mar 29, 2014, 11:50 AM
Thread OP

Slow progress

Yes slow , but still progress....

Pylon is finished and balsa inlay for nose strength is moving along now....

I had to use some filler at the pylon /fuse joints but it turned out alright...

Decided the overall color will be an orange or yellow " tint" with a nice blue trim around the surfaces... red is just

not the best color for me anymore....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Mar 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: add
Apr 11, 2014, 09:05 AM
Thread OP

still working on it...

The Korda is moving along...

i'm adding " hardpoints " to mount the stab and hardpoints to attach the motor mount / landing gear bulkhead...

The pylon is complete... More sheet wood fill has been added to the fuse..

The servo planning has begun....

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Oct 11, 2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: sp
Apr 24, 2014, 11:09 AM
Thread OP

Servos are here !

4-24-14 - finally, the servos are here so I can begin the fun job of planning / installing the control system....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Apr 27, 2014, 06:58 PM
Thread OP

4-27-14

......got the servos mounted finally..... had to rethink this several times before the obvious solution unfolded....

Best regards,

Jeff
May 13, 2014, 09:57 PM
Thread OP

5-13-14

very slow right now.... servos are mounted, carbon 2mm pushrods being built up, tail assembly mounts are complete, motor mount bulkhead is completed, lots to finish....fuse will be covered in doculam then thermal span and nelson clear tinted yellow.... surfaces will get thermal span and same clear yellow tint... trim color will be nelson insignial blue....

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Oct 11, 2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: sp
May 20, 2014, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
5-20-14

Pushrods are getting cut to length, stab is mounted temporarily....

Slow progress lately....

Best Regards,

Jeff
May 28, 2014, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
5-28-14

Pics have been added.... Fuse is nearly ready to cover....

Best regards,

Jeff
Jun 27, 2014, 06:53 PM
Thread OP

still going

lately I covered the stab and have got it dyed and painted with the blue trim.... the paint does not bleed under the tape IF clear is painted over the seam first and allowed to dry.... I seem to have known this and had to relearn it.....

Today, my new DX7s arrived to replace my old DX7 .....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Aug 02, 2014, 02:19 PM
Thread OP

No building for now

The weather has been nice so flying and other activities have my attention.... A little problem solving / thinking has me ready to begin again soon...

Jeff
Aug 21, 2014, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
hatches are now completed..... they seem to serve the purpose. Working on the fuse and stab outline trim with insignia blue nelson paint.....

Jeff
Aug 31, 2014, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
slow progress.... more trim painting on the fuse.... the wing mount is now complete and painted....

pictures soon....

jeff
Sep 04, 2014, 06:17 PM
Thread OP

progress..... as of 9-4-14

fuse is nearly finished as well as the stab... next, the wing needs finished and covered, painted....

Best Regards,

Jeff

Quick Reply