This thread is privately moderated by C Robinson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 09, 2014, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

DLG Fuselage Mold - Part 1

I have been wanting to build a one pc. DLG fuse mold for a few years now. This one was started a year ago and was completed in about 4 months time.
The shape inspiration came from the Validol and Polaris with the flatter nose shape to reduce side slip drag. So far, I have pulled 4 parts, all useable and somewhat nicer than expected for first tries. Semi-permanent FreKote mold release was used for making the mold and also for the part lay-up's. Next step is to try a few different fabric schedules to get the weight below 43 grams which is the lightest so far.
Now for a picture story

(See part 2 for the rest of the story)
Last edited by C Robinson; Feb 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Part 2 reference
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2014, 11:46 AM

very nice photo essay

I wanted to thank you for posting such nice photos of the process. Very pretty. Not necessary, but I would like to see whether you put the bladder in after closing or before. It would be nice to see the bladder pics. What material are you using for the badder? I am using 3mil contractor trashbags from Home Depot, which work really well. May also helpful to display the use of the nails on the side of the mold. I suspect you use fishing line, strung back and forth around them, to keep the wet glass folded in control until the mold halves are situated and partially clamped?

Really nice, thanks again.
Dan
Feb 15, 2014, 12:28 PM
Thread OP

Bladder info

Thanks miraclesailor, I am glad you enjoyed it!
The bladder is a simple latex ballon (Qualatex 350Q) stetched over a full length and perforated 1/8" dia brass tube. These have been 100% reliable. This photo is of the bladder set-up for my molded boom done prior to the fuse mold. The tube for the fuse mold is the same but longer as it needs to extend to the nose.

You are correct regarding the process on all other points. I am sorry that due to stick fingers, I don't have photos of the lay-up process . Maybe I can get my wife to shoot some during the next lay-up.

Let me know if there are more questions and I will be glad to help.
Craig

Quick Reply