Dec 18, 2001, 05:39 PM
Motors beat engines!
Thread OP

My best torque roll ever!

Had my Frenzy out at the field today for the purpose of testing out a new GB and prop ( 4.09:1 and gws 10x8, rocket400, 8x600ae's, total weight 17 7/8ths).

The new combo was to try to improve climb angle and boy it sure did!

As this is only a 3 channel plane for the time being, I planned to dive down to the deck for max speed and then pull up to vertical right in front of me and just keep it pointing up till it would finally stop and fall off.

Imagine my suprise when instead of falling off, it stopped and hung there and started to roll left!

It made it completely around, slightly over 360 degrees, and started again before it did fall off the side, all with no input from me other than elevator. It must have been hanging there for 4 or 5 seconds, just rotating.

Best torque roll I ever did and of course, sheer luck.

I was very suprised, and I think my mouth was actually hanging open.

I did a few much shorter hovers later with minor torque rolls, but the first one was definately the best.

I wonder if I can get enough weight out of this plane to add a rudder servo?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2001, 09:43 PM
Cool!

Reminds me of of my first plane with vertical capability. Those vertical rolls sure were fun.
Dec 19, 2001, 02:32 PM
crashnburn
crashnburn
I did my best (and only) torque roll accidently, and cannot figure how to get it to do it again . . . it lasted about 5 seconds and did about 540 degrees before it started to slide backwards. I can get it to hover now, but when I try to roll, I lose control.

Don
Dec 19, 2001, 04:42 PM
Balsa Builder
Now you need to work on doing a tailslide. You know you're in a tailslide when the propwash goes back through the prop, it makes a cool sound.

--Paul

www.geocities.com/rc_eflyer
Dec 20, 2001, 12:45 AM
Dean -
tell me the higher gb ratio didn't put a smile on your face
told u so
try a 10x7 or 11x4.5 apc in the place of the gws prop and you will get a further leap in performance.
Dec 20, 2001, 12:49 AM
sorry Dean i mean a 11x7 not 10x7 apc
Your talking about the yellow plane?
Dec 20, 2001, 09:25 AM
Motors beat engines!
Thread OP
Yup, the yellow plane.

It really was a suprise as the plane came in overweight at 17 7/8ths oz, , and the combo was only predicted at 16 oz thrust.

I take it you've had better resuts with the apc?

My next goal is to put this plane on a diet.

Dean
Dec 20, 2001, 04:17 PM
one of the minikoi prototypes that started at 15.5 oz has slowly gained weight (over the course of 350+ flights and much repair) to about 18 oz and still torque rolls like a maniac. I think that the rocket geared and timed can exceed motocalc predictions. I like the apc E's. Try to fly with the cg as far back as stability allows and max out the throws, this makes hovering much easier. Good to hear your plane is going well!!!

Quick Reply